Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

i'm right, you're wrong. shut up

Adventurer
05-11-2022, 07:00 PM
@Madmortigan! Tags are for reference.

Edith woke up feeling like she needed a change of scenery. She’d found herself falling into old habits and routines back home—doing the same ‘ol things that she used to do. Her life in Blackwood Reach had been far more exciting, and she longed for that sort of stimulation again.

She left right before dawn—letting @Warwick and @Calhoun know where she was going—and followed the river westward. She followed it for quite some time, stopping to take note of her surroundings. She could see mountains to the north and the Elk’s Crown across the waterway. The forest anchored her, giving her a reference point if she felt lost.

She was drawn to the canal as she spotted a structure just off the shore—a dam. She had never seen one, but had heard of them. Edith took a seat and pressed her ears towards the mammal’s home. She couldn’t see any beavers, so she wondered how it worked. She didn’t see an opening anywhere--how did they get out?

She would wait as long as her curiosity held her attention; she had places to explore.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-11-2022, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2022, 08:07 PM by Madmortigan. Edited 1 time in total.)
 He spends his days scouting the territories surrounding their destined home, familiarizing himself with what's near.

Closing in on a flooded stream, Madmortigan stares at the cleaved saplings. The dam sits a few yards away, as does a young woman.

“An engineering marvel, isn't it?” He asks from across the water.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: unknown.png]
— thank you hanna! <3
Visionary
05-11-2022, 08:12 PM
”An engineering marvel, isn’t it?” Madmortigan asked from across the stream.

Edith looked toward the man and quickly realized the company she was in. He was shrouded in their ancestors former sin; the High Elk had extensively marked him. She shook her head and tsk’d. Madmortigan was less than. Or, at least, that was the impression she got from his appearance.

”And how would you know that?” she countered, raising a brow.  

the staff team luvs u
05-11-2022, 08:51 PM
 She is all haughty youth, as blustery as wind caught in a tunnel.

Madmortigan smiles. “I've studied them. Walk across it and see for yourself.” The network of finely woven branches and twigs will undoubtedly hold her weight from one end to the other.

“If you're brave enough.”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
Visionary
05-11-2022, 09:03 PM
Madmortigan’s challenge irked Edith. Sure, she was brave enough, but how could she trust him?

She lifted her snout and shook her head. ”I’m not stupid,” nor was she born yesterday. Edith couldn’t put herself in a situation like the one he proposed. ”The High Elk has already told me everything that I need to know about you.” He was shrouded in sin; nothing good could come of his suggestion.

Edith was thankful they had a stream separating them. She had an easy escape should she need it—for as long as she was willing to stick around and grace him with her pure presence.

the staff team luvs u
05-11-2022, 09:08 PM
 “Hardly stupid, Miss.” He agrees in earnest, moving to sit upon the riverbank. “You are divine.”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
05-11-2022, 09:18 PM
Edith grinned. ”I am,” she agreed. Madmortigan had some sort of common sense, it seemed. Then again, it didn’t take a rocket scientist to acknowledge her divinity.

”And you aren’t,” Edith said, feeling compelled to put him in his place. 

the staff team luvs u
05-11-2022, 09:23 PM
 He laughs. 

Unshaken, he nods for her to continue on. “Tell me what I am.”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
Visionary
05-11-2022, 09:32 PM
She indulged him.

”You are shrouded in the sin of our ancestors—your color stripped from the High Elk.” Had Madmortigan learned about Him? ”Tell me, has anybody taught you of His way?”  

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
05-11-2022, 09:47 PM
 He shakes his head, eyes bright and expression open. “I know nothing of the High Elk and his ways.” Calling to her across the water still. 

“Will you share your knowledge with me?”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
Visionary
05-11-2022, 10:11 PM
"The High Elk represents life itself and took part in its creation. He is my family's patron and He is the one true God.” Célnes had told them that other religions existed, but Edith had quickly denounced them all. ”He is a king and wears a crown of a thousand horns,” she wanted to lay eyes on his crown—to marvel and bow at His hooves. She wanted to thank Him for providing for their family and for His guidance.   

”We do not hunt any animals that wears a crown. Their antlers are sacred and are ways in which He can communicate with us, and vice versa.”

”The High Elk warns us of those we should be wary of by marking their pelts. He strips the color away—dirtying coats with blacks, whites, and grays.” Nobody had explicitly taught Edith that grey was a mark of sin—that was something that she had come up with all on her own. It was too close to white; its pale counterpart, cream, carried hints of brown in its undertones. ”Those who lack brown pelts are destined to bad things and follow darkness itself.”

She looked him up and down, wondering what he made of His way.

the staff team luvs u
05-13-2022, 01:16 AM
 The little zealot begins her sermon and Madmortigan listens, rapt. 

Around them the forest stills, quieting to the cacophony of doctrine. The only sound persisting is the stream trickling between them, the water sifting slow through the knot of beaver-gnarled branches. 

“You are convicted, Miss.” He calls, his voice sincere. “That is an admirable quality to have. How many others here believe the way you do?”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
Visionary
05-14-2022, 02:54 PM
Edith smiled to herself, appeased. ”Many,” she answered, ”I have relatives far and wide who spread His way.” It wasn’t entirely a lie; Célnes had told Edith how their family had scattered. She was just embellishing it a bit.

”Are you interested in straying from the darkness?” she asked, her voice lifting in an excited hitch. Had she been able to convince Madmortigan to right his wrongs?

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
05-14-2022, 05:03 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2022, 08:08 PM by Madmortigan. Edited 1 time in total.)
 “I would like to learn more.” He calls from across the river still. “Might I join you on the other side of the river? Or you can come here, if you'd prefer.” 

Theology lessons are best appreciated in huddled devotion and whispered murmurs.

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
05-15-2022, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2022, 10:58 PM by Edith.)
”I would like to learn more,” Madmortigan said, ”Might I join you on the other side of the river? Or you can come here, if you'd prefer.” 

Edith hesitated. She was conflicted; although he had been receptive to His law, he had been at arms length. Would anything happen if he came closer? Edith swallowed hard, clenched her jaw, and tensed her muscles. She would take a chance on him. 

”You can join me,” Edith answered, bracing herself for the worst.

the staff team luvs u
05-18-2022, 04:00 PM
 Her posture is too hard to see from where he sits across the stream, but he keeps his movements slow and careful, allowing her to change her mind at any time. 

Branches creak and split under mindful paws, and soon he is on the other side of the natural bridge. “It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” He greets her officially, the picture of politeness. “My name is Madmortigan. What is yours?”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
05-18-2022, 05:39 PM
”Edith,” she replied, looking him up and down. He was about her height, maybe a smidge taller, and his colors were even more striking up close. She watched him, her body stiff and at the ready, and was unsure what would happen next. What she did know was how uncomfortable she felt. 

”What else do you want to know?” Edith asked, hoping to rid herself of her discomfort.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
05-18-2022, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2022, 08:09 PM by Madmortigan. Edited 1 time in total.)
 He notices the tension in her muscles and the direction of her ears. Skewed though her beliefs may be, it's undeniable his presence has a visceral effect. 

Madmortigan sits down paces away, giving the young woman plenty of space. “Does your system of doctrine have a name? Do your people?”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
05-19-2022, 08:59 PM
”Elkshire is the name of our pack, Edith answered, ”and our family’s name is Déorwine.” Her pride was undeniable; their family was vast and had made a name for themselves. 

”Many outside of our family have joined us,” she did a once over, her curiosity brimming as she stiffly leaned towards him, ”Do you have an interest in us as well?” 

the staff team luvs u
05-22-2022, 06:10 PM
 It is wise to get to know one's neighbors, particularly when they insist on being radicals. 

“Where does your pack reside?” He asks, suspecting, though he does not allow himself to jump to a conclusion that hasn't been confirmed. “Because I do have an interest, Ms. Déorwine.”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
06-03-2022, 12:40 PM
"Not far from here," she replied, gesturing over her shoulder with her snout, "Probably a half-days walk." That's how long it'd taken Edith to get here, but she had also been meandering for most of the trek. Had she been moving with purpose, it would have been much quicker. "Are you interested in visiting?" she asked, her brow quirked.

the staff team luvs u
06-05-2022, 05:58 PM
 “Perhaps some day.” The Harbinger replies with a small smile. Such a trip is more inevitability than chance. 

“And when I do I hope I will see you again, Edith Déorwine. For now, I will not take up any more of your time. Goodbye, Divine One.”

From one sinner to another.

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
06-06-2022, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2022, 07:58 PM by Edith. Edited 1 time in total.)
Tags for reference!

“Perhaps someday.” Madmortigan replied. “And when I do I hope I will see you again, Edith Déorwine. For now, I will not take up any more of your time. Goodbye, Divine One.” 

Edith smiled. "Until then," she replied. 

Later that evening, when she returned home, Edith told @Calhoun about the man and the conversation she'd had with them. @Warwick hadn't been around, which struck her as odd, but she assumed that she would catch him up to speed at a later time.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top