Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Holy Abattoir

Early Morning Partly Cloudy 60° F
Content Warning
05-09-2022, 09:38 PM
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • reference to 'ethnic' (species) cleansing
in that lil space between sundance grove and reclaimed roots <3

He travels with purpose, instinctually pulled. 

As the night wanes the forest stirs around him, bending towards wakefulness. Madmortigan listens. He realizes he has been blessed, divinely chosen to continue the work. This world is his world. 

It will be cleansed.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: unknown.png]
— thank you hanna! <3
Adventurer
05-09-2022, 11:02 PM
A cool morning, the sky dressed with darkening clouds woke Jude from her hovel of a den, kraken roots choking her sides and a deep groan throttled in the back of her throat. She'd emerge from the hollow, sunlight that shook off the oppression of the clouds glowering at her. 

The woman would squint, turning her eyes away from such a bliss, proceeding to crawl out of the makeshift den. Filled with centipedes and bugs, she inadvertently would vomit. A gag tugged at the back of her throat just at the mere thought of the scrawny insects climbing upon her back, feeding into her coat—

Ooh! She could not think of it any longer. 

Alluringly so, she'd fickle around the bends of the grove; temptation dancing in her step, thinking of all the maddening ways someone could piss her off today. There were many of them. Many. Where would she start now?

Hmm...

Oh!

What about him?

the staff team luvs u
05-10-2022, 12:29 PM
 Coat a stained mess of drying carnage, he cannot smell the other wolf until he turns and sees them. Unabashed, he moves towards the stranger. “You rise early.” He greets with a nod of his head. 

Early to wake, late to bed - the blight of a dedicated scholar. He wonders if the one before him could be such a beast. “What do you seek before the sun?”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
Visionary
Adventurer
05-10-2022, 05:30 PM
The stench of the man before her was raw, almost unbearable to be in front of...if she were normal. Something about it made her want to question what it was, and where it had come from. Something about him was intriguing— his spotted coat, bombastic colorations...a euphemism for something of great power, yet decaying wrath. 

He'd ask her what she sought, and only a firm declarative could permeate in her maw; "Everything."

One may call her crazy, one may call her ambitious. She'd rather take the latter. "But for now...a study. Someplace quiet, and dark. The sunlight does nothing to help. Maybe some rats for..." She'd catch herself before a moment, narrowing her eyes towards the man. Her ostentatious desires to experiment were peculiar. She'd been shunned a multitude of times before, what was the difference now? 

"Who are you?"

the staff team luvs u
05-11-2022, 02:06 AM
 Everything.

Her coat is a mottled blend of copper-browns, warm neutrals stark against his cool monochrome, stained though it may be. Kin not in appearance, but in philosophy. Madmortigan, too, craved it all. With such big appetites, what would be left of the world?

“My name is Madmortigan Marsyas, Harbinger of the Labyrinthian Order.”

Rocking back to sit upon his haunches, his violet eyes are bright with interest. “What do you study?”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
Adventurer
Visionary
Misc Skill
05-11-2022, 03:15 AM
Madmortigan Marsyas. An astute name, something that didn't surprise Jude based on his cynical vernacular; something that they both seemed to share. Her ears caught on the word order, a peculiar adjective to describe a pack of mongrels.

"An order of...complex beliefs, I presume?" Now they were talking about something Jude could get into. Jude had been persecuted viciously for entertaining in...rather odd experiments with her rats. They simply did not understand the extent of her threshold and they never will. 

"Jude Duarte— currently unaffiliated. Would it be alright if I called you Mor? I have too many thoughts to say about such a lengthy, however magnificent, name. I fear that time is slipping too quickly, you see." Jude didn't feel the need to explain further. Her time was precious and valuable, work needed to be done, and she couldn't spare a singular moment to pronounce a four-syllable name. 

Oh, had she been hexed—, or had he truly asked her what she study? Jude felt faint, hoping that the breaches of the clouds would catch her as she fell from the atmosphere. "What don't I study is the real question. I'm rather adverse with plants, strategies— you know, the basics. But what I'm really interested in is the harvest action of organs. I believe that there is a natural order on how it works, but I just need time to continue my experiments on those who...simply don't fit the climate of the world." Jude alluded to something far darker than she'd intended; an unnatural taste of vengeance glazing the surface of her tongue. A euphemism presented over her glossed speech of admittance, but her hidden meaning could be seen in her eyes. 

"I admit that I am curious about you, I suppose. Do you have a particular intrigue?"

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
05-11-2022, 07:26 PM
 “Mor, Morti, Mad -” he smiles until the corner of his violet eyes crinkle. “I've been called many things. Call me what you wish.” 

“As for my beliefs, they are quite simple.” He continues casually, like a stranger making idle chit-chat and not a priest knelt at the pulpit of truth.

“To be wolf is to be god.”

How refreshing to stand in the presence of a woman with her own burgeoning theories. “You're right, Jude. There is a natural order to things.” 

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
Adventurer
Visionary
05-12-2022, 03:56 AM
To be a wolf, is to be God.

"I could not agree more." Jude began to fall into a rhythm with him, walking back and forth, exchanging banter. For the first time, she felt...excited. She hadn't felt such a way in a long time— she was not easily impressed by mere expression of beliefs since hers were deemed as 'radical' in many forms, but...

Him.

A vanishing rose bloomed in her mind, corrupt and full of thorns adorned with poison, rooting itself within her mind. Something deranged and fascinating, yet all-encompassing in the way she displayed herself. 

"To be a wolf is a privilege, Mor." Jude would lower her head, a deep smile expanding across the length of her mouth. "To be a God, it needs judgment. Yet...who gets to make such a call?" —it was in fact, rhetorical. Jude knew exactly who deserved such a right, such liberty amongst all others. 

"The most scholarly of us all."

the staff team luvs u
05-13-2022, 01:06 AM
 She smiles chasm-wide and he matches her tooth for tooth. 

Dipping his head, he accepts her words like a crown, donning himself in her admiration. “I am here to guide.”

Moving, he dares to step closer to her. “Come, I will take you home.”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
Adventurer
Visionary
Formation
05-13-2022, 02:52 AM
Jude didn't know why she did it. Intuition and intelligence had been wiped clean from her slate, replaced by sheer impulse. 

The only thing for sure is that she knew she liked it when he bowed his head towards her. Yeah, she liked that one. 

"Lead the way, Madmortigan." And so the woman would follow the new stranger without a second's notice, dreaming of what possibilities were bound to arise.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top