Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Here's to the one with the smoking stare,

P
Dragonford Isles
05-07-2022, 11:45 PM
Vendrussel sought out @Jun after Serenity left with the child. The man had only joined prior a few days, and already settling roots to even some members by sharing a den itself. She did not care for such pleasures in life — but what she did care to what was the aftermath to what could be. And one, whom seemed to share his bed was determined to continue along with that motherhood away. Would she tell him so? Would he leave alongside her? She did not know.

Thus the dragoness sought the man, "Jun," she called to him, "do you have a moment to spare?" A calmness settling even if heart beat like a drum — an anxiety if anything. More loss of members? He had called her kind, would he change his views to see her as a monster for letting Serenity simply leave? But whatever it would be, she was set within so. To keep the Ford safe and secure, there was only so much lenience that could be given.

But she was tired of losing those she trusted, which was no fault but her own.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-08-2022, 01:11 AM
Jun had rested on the edge of a rock in the Sepulcher, watching the outcrop like a hawk as he was designated to. He hadn't seen much; a few crabs wandering by, clams in the midst spewing water from the sand, and a measly sand mollusk dip in and outs of the shoreline. 

When he heard his name called by none other than his sovereign, he had no other option but to turn his head to face her and her acquisition. She wanted to talk.  A stark enthrall filled his chest, his heart racing to the surface with curiosity. He had not done anything wrong, how could he? He's only been here a few days. Well, sure, he got close with Serenity, but was there a rule against such a thing? 

"I have all the time you need, my lady." Her voice was calm— he didn't know if that scared him more, or reassured him. The man could only wonder what made the maiden need to talk to him; he thought that she didn't like him very much.

"Is something troubling you?"

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-08-2022, 01:17 AM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2022, 05:20 AM by Vendrussel. Edited 1 time in total.)
"I'll get to the point — you slept with Serenity, yes?" There was no trace of malice or aggression to the mater, but the need of confirmation whether this was true or not, "I do not mind for members to dwelve into their pleasures, but the matter concerns something else." She wouldn't deny such carnal luxuries of so, especially upon sharing a bed can be a delightful moment in the need of warmth.

She sat down on her hunches, the inkling that the conversation may not be but a quick moment, yet nonetheless something to discuss with him. She only hoped such a way wouldn't end with a disaster, and but another wolf to leave the isle altogether. He spoke with a charm, and an honesty she so thought. A silver-tongue perhaps, for Vendrussel knew not of his true motivations, but appreciated that charisma he held ; just as Serenity did. Maybe that was what drew them together.

the staff team luvs u
05-08-2022, 01:31 AM
Jun was caught off guard, stunned. "I— yes. I did." Color flooded to his face, not out of embarrassment but of something deeper than such a feeling. 

Yet Vendrussel did not speak with malice, or calamity, she spoke with mere fact and he hoped without a bias. She would sit before him and he straightened himself, looking up to her in his lounging state. A fractured moment in time froze him from immaturity, to a moment of growth. 

His face dropped, the charisma that he adorned disappearing in an instant. "Is she alright? I hadn't hurt her have I?" Concern was laid out in his voice, the soft velvet of his tone cut the back of his throat and suffocated him. Thinking that Serenity could be hurt, or...or...

Or.

Jun's breath caught in his throat, deciding to let Vendrussel talk. Talk before he convinced himself of something life-changing. He didn't know if he wanted his life changed. Not yet. Not yet.

the staff team luvs u
05-08-2022, 01:39 AM
"Do you want children, Jun?" She was slightly amused by his tongue-tied, though didn't show so. It seemed he really was caught off guard from her bluntly asking whether they had done the deed or not. She didn't find it shameful, though doesn't partake in something like so. Maybe she was a bit jealous how quick they formed a bond, despite something she found herself struggling. Her Clan is dependent on relationships, forming to find the partner till' life and death itself — and something like a separation wasn't allowed so. To death, do they part, regardless of being a mate, or friendships. 

"She seems determined to have yours, regardless whether the night bore fruit or not." Which was the down-line — they didn't know if she truly became pregnant over a single night of emotion. But instead of simply waiting or trying another season, she was more offended for Vendrussel attempting to persuade on another season, another year ; anyday beside now, and to take that conception. At the very least, send her away elsewhere. Somewhere safer.

There was more to say, thoughts she held with Serenity and wish to repeat among the other but for now — held tongue. She could see his face that dropped to a concern and worry ; like that of a child caught by their parent by doing something they shouldn't have. She could look at him, with a patience to hear it all.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-08-2022, 01:51 AM
Children?

Children!

Jun didn't laugh. He didn't smile. Nor did he frown, either. "Not...not now." He admitted, embarrassed. Had Serenity truly been pregnant? Clearly, it must be his fault, but would it be his fault to reap? He didn't want to, didn't want to take responsibility, but he knew...that he would. That he would have to...talk to her, at the very least. 

"So it is not true yet?" He hadn't sounded hopeful, or dreary, or melancholic. He was simply bland, something so out of character for the male. Something that would never be in his character, yet he couldn't...he didn't know what to feel. 

Jun stood, pacing closely in front of Vendrussel. Thoughts pulsating through his head. Her fate rested on Vendrussel. Vendrussel. Vendrussel. He'd curse under his breath, harsh heavings coming from his chest. 

"What have I done?"

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-08-2022, 01:57 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2022, 05:05 AM by Vendrussel. Edited 1 time in total.)
"It's not on you," she sighed lightly ; was he imaging she was going to spring fatherhood on him? To the point she nearly though a panic attack would be within an order as he paced so within such a realization, "I had told you before we have our battles and wars. Though we find abandoned young and take them in, that kindness — can only go so far." She would approach him, if Jun let Vendrussel so and place a paw upon his shoulder. A type of reassurance through this, for she was not attempting to blame him or rope him into anything, but explain what had happened.

"War is not a place for children to be born," she said, "I had asked to wait the seasons, at least a year or so and to take that conception," and then she paused, before speaking further, "or at the very least, take her elsewhere to a safer place." A pitied gaze upon him, and only a strained smile to follow but not of warmth or a hearty laugh, "and she chose neither."

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-08-2022, 02:42 AM
Jun would listen to Vendrussel's words carefully, he soaked them up with his ocean blue ears, and he drank them like he was starving. He was starving. Wanting to know any bit of information he could. War had consumed the land. It consumed Vendrussel. 

It would consume him then, too.

She spoke of the options she offered Serenity. She spoke, and she spoke, and Jun had only wanted to claw his own eyes out to never envision himself doing something so horrible to her again. He had wronged her, he saw that now. He wasn't careful, he was reckless, fueled by the pheromones of the moment.

He'd allow the sovereign to place her paw on his shoulder, calming his nerves, and stopping his pacing.  

"Neither? What do you mean she chose neither?" He would say viciously as his face came closer to hers. Vicious, panicked, either or. He hadn't meant to sound aggressive towards her— she only wanted to help. She was helping. She was comforting him, even if she didn't want to.  "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." He uttered, lowering his head with deep submission. 

"Of course. You're right. You're right, there is no place in a pack for children during war." He'd bring his head higher to match her height, looking desperately into her eyes. "I'm fearing the worst."

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-08-2022, 02:50 AM
"She left." When he came at her with a vicious tongue she had her paw leave and slightly stepped back — though she was somewhat expecting a reaction that was far more then calm. Though it seemed he was almost driinking in a sorrow itself and expressed apologies like no other and she ; didn't blame him. Only falling for but a simple realm of pleasure itself and there was ways to avoid so and it seemed — Serenity didn't want the same, and carry such kin that would be.

But it looked like he didn't think that far ; to be a father to possible children that she, could not allow to be born within the ford. At the very least not with risk to be as she shook her head. A warrior would be out, and others to tend to her needs and protect where it need not to. Then the worry as well, what if Northfall decided revenge, just as she had done to them? She could not let Serenity suffer — or any of the ford wolves suffer under the sin she so carried.

"I'm sorry, there was not much else that could be done to convince her otherwise." To stay? To live among the other? She rather chose to bore them alone ; and Vendrussel could only respect so. And even then, she wouldn't change her mind on the matter. It was best for the ford.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-08-2022, 03:46 AM
The man didn't even notice Vendrussel step back until he lifted his head upward from the rocky terrain, sensitive in his word choices. The concept of him being father was heavy. Too heavy. He was too much embraced into his deserving freedom, too loving of the temptations and desires that reigned supreme in these lands.

Simply put, he was not ready to be a father. He was not going to cross the oceans for her. Not now, not...not now. Not when he got the taste for what life could offer. The sweet juices of liberty soaked his tongue so pleasantly, but not well enough to drop everything for children.

Children.

Children, children, children. "So she's gone?" He'd confirm, eyes raw, throat cutting edge with his voice. He could feel his Adam's apple bob in his throat, catching traction, a hard knot to swallow. He plagued Serenity. He made her leave. 

He caused this, his fault. 

"I pledged my loyalty to the Ford when I washed up on those shores." His statement was firm and driven, red and hollowed eyes meeting her blued hues that glittered with her own love of the Ford. Vendrussel was doing what she thought was right, at least in the light that he saw her. He hoped that she received his message loud and clear, loud enough to where his indirect words were enough to not only comfort her but himself too. 

"You've done all you can, Vendrussel. I've— I fear I've done the worst to her." A deep exhale of air fled his chest, the caving feeling of the world falling apart beneath him still diluting his thoughts. "I've made a monster of myself."

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-12-2022, 05:10 AM
Vendrussel nodded ; there was no stopping the other even when words clashed. Their ideals were too different on the matter. She saw it yet a moment where they were near and thus could be prevented, but the other saw it as the Gods giving her this chance, a chance that would not be torn away. An unfortunate event where timing couldn't be any worse, and she could only look at Jun with pity. He held remorse, panic and all sorts of emotions — a man not ready to be a father, and Vendrussel did not blame him.

"Thank you Jun, but you should not blame yourself. She had choices, many which could've stayed with the ford, but she chose none. To her, her way is right, and to me — us, our way is right. It is the conflict of beliefs." Beliefs that have paid prices — to the dominance of her homeland and the more peace of this land, a grasping of understanding. She could not foolhardedly throw prowess her way and think that she could win ; not anymore.

Words and actions to be taken — and though could not prevent her previous bloodbath, she sure can stop a future one. They needed power, strong adults and not a time for love of children within a warfare. Another year, another day would she bless his fatherhood, but at the moment could only say what had happened, and assure him, he was not to be pushed away either.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
Entertainer
05-13-2022, 03:26 AM
Jun had froze when he saw the way Vendrussel's eyes landed upon him— pity, he'd only assume. He shook off his vulnerabilities with a quick swipe, a large inhale of air tanking in his lungs. He had to be strong. 

Serenity had made her choice, and so had he. 

"If she wanted to stay, she would've gotten rid of them. Her loyalties don't lie with you, or I." He would state, almost having to affirm himself with the declaration. Per-se, he didn't...well, he cared for Serenity, but not in the ways a soon-to-be father would. The man didn't even know her family name for Christs' sake and she expects to have his children? Jun could almost faint at the recollection, but in the end, it had been her choice and not his.

"—If it is to those babes, then so be it." Jun had looked away from Vendrussel as he spoke, fullbody waning as emotions piled atop of him. He would seek to ignore it, focusing on the woman that sat before him. He'd turn to her, edging closer. 

His rose-colored eyes would meet hers, he'd look to her deeply. Jun wouldn't miss the way she spoke 'our' and a heat bloomed in his chest on the account of being included. Apart of something bigger than himself. "I won't be following her, not now anyways. You need me— and the others, I suppose— even if you don't want to admit it outright. But I'll be here, if you let me stay."

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-13-2022, 03:36 AM
"You are always welcomed to stay. You are one of us." Taken the dive and pledged toward the ford, he is a dragon to the void. Where they would lay with bonds between as they would be loyal to each other, and to the meaning of the dragons itself. To not turn ones back upon them all, and do good, for all the wolves. She made mistakes, making a war more powerful then it needed to be but many ; not all, stood by her side. She felt at peace knowing she was not abandoned, but now understood.. It wasn't the end, nor', would war be the only reason wolves would come and go.

"She has her reasons, and so do we. I do not blame her," Vendrussel shook her head, a smile of but sadness and pity upon that, "but.." Resoluted as she looked at Jun, "those who turn their back on the Ford, are not welcomed back." A vow to so, that Serenity would not be welcomed back to the isle if she saw the outside was difficult. Though she gave the woman a pack to go toward, help raise the young if she saw difficulty, and could only pray, that the other would heed her words and go there.

A pity, really. She was a good wolf, but could not risk keeping her or her kids around, admitting so, safety was thin. 

She didn't judge Jun not wanting to take ownership of his kin, which would not wander the outside. The other, though barely knew him, risked that moment without a conception to prevent so ; she seemed determined, to be a mother.. And Vendrussel couldn't understand why she would turn on everyone, just for a bundle that was yet even to show. She could sympathize, at the very least. Enough to not lash out at the other and force the herbs onto her — she was not that cold-hearted.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-17-2022, 11:04 PM
The words echoed in his mind: not welcome back. Jun would curse, "Shit, Vendrussel—" The male turned away from the Dragoness, contemplating, reeling in the guilt that he felt. 

Yet where was Jun to argue against her in all this? Serenity had made her choice- that choice didn't involve him. If she wanted to keep the pups, then so be it. He would not stop her, but he would also not create a home for them. Not build it from the ground up as he fantasized to. What he wanted was a bond. A bond thicker than blood, a bond that secreted of gold and diamonds, unable to break. Something so impenetrable that he could fall back onto it and be sprung upward with life.

He did not want children. 

He wanted the Ford. 

"I'm staying," he'd begin, finally getting the courage to look Vendrussel in the eye, "but on one condition."  He'd raise his brow, then draw his attention to the ocean and beyond, and the accent of the stars that hid behind a glossed sky. 

"I'd like to know about the- your culture, if you'd teach me. If I am to be a dragon, I might as well know who I am, no?"  With his words of charisma, Jun would begin a new chapter. A new chapter that didn't involve Serenity or children, a chapter that would consume his life in the Ford. He belonged, he knew he did, and he would make sure to never dissent into madness as Serenity had.  

"I'm quite the good student, might I add." he would say, followed by a soft laugh. 

He was in it for the long run, just not perhaps the way that @Serenity would want.

the staff team luvs u
05-18-2022, 05:20 AM
There was a relief upon her chest, that soon followed to her smile. She was at least glad he was staying, despite his kin possibly out there within the world. A wonder to whether she'd ever meet them, much less be able to, "That'd be fine," so the Alpha said, "perhaps another day, tomorrow even, as today has been quite.." her voice trailed on, the indication that so much had happened in the span of hours that it seemed simply exhausting to deal with.

Vendrussel didn't mind Jun and enjoyed his charisma, but an exhaustion was following to her mental state for all that was happening. Heart, even hurt to the fact they had lost one ; and she left thinking she was so unwanted. But, in the end the dragoness would not risk for the good of the group — she had the best interest at heart, but it seemed day and day out, it caused the distrust of some.

She greatly, needed a rest.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-18-2022, 05:30 PM
Jun's smile would widen at her agreement. There was a mystical aura that surrounded the Ford, it called his name, cooed to him. He'd answer it, and then find Vendrussel. She'd laid her heart out for the Ford and Jun would intend to do the same; however long it may take. 

"Thank you, Vendrussel." he'd dip his head with respect before watching her see herself out. "Goodnight,"  he'd call to her, not expecting an answer, but the affirmation was thread, laid out into the warming air. 

The Sea Dragon had a lot to think about. A lot on his plate, more or less. He needed to start with Serenity, and find her fast. He hoped that it would be the opposite and she would come to him. For now, he'd continue to explore the Sepulcher until he'd tire himself out and the sun would peek over the horizon.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top