Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
and so the god's may sing

Morning Snow 40° F
P
Adventurer
05-07-2022, 06:19 PM
@Ragnar — for you lovely

Eirene had always garnished a fond appreciation of the colder climates with her fur as thick as a bear's hyde. What calmed her was the silence that the tundra brought, and with silence, she was able to relax. To be able to connect with her inner conscience, to feel herself woefully. 

She didn't know what drew her so far down the mountain that she called home, but the peculiar scent of something...something warm had caught her nose. She didn't know if any packs had resided here, more or less she heard rumors of packs near the summit, but she had never earned an interest. 

Courage was not the issue, rest assured. If Eirene had wanted to so willingly join a pack, she would've. However, the mountains had been rather quiet. No one dared reside here— the moving herds, lack of liquid water, lack of sunlight; all plethoric things that would drive an animal to call this home had worked against it.

Except for Eirene. 

She liked the cold, the chill. The woman had always found a way to get food, one way or another. One way or another.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-08-2022, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2022, 02:20 AM by Ragnar. Edited 1 time in total.)
Ragnar had found happiness. His home was teeming with life in ways it had not been for some time. Not since Ynness death ( @Beinlausa ). Not since Asgeir had ran away from that trauma (or so they assumed) and not since Aslaug had folded into herself.

Northfall and Ragnar himself had founded much friendship and allies within the north. They had made enemies too. They were known. Rogues were coming to their borders for acceptance. Leaders come to visit the 'raven King in the north'. Young now roamed the lands and his blood stirred within the womb of another. Now @Aslaug had found new life within herself and the gods. Ragnar was blessed.

Somewhere not far in the foothills of The Great Divide Ragnar strode. He could hear the great gushes of water out in the distance. That which divided Northfall half of the mountain chain from the other. But it wasn't after this Ragnar sought. It was the scent of a woman, a stranger, near so to the outward stretches of his claim.

He followed it through. Ahead, a flash of red moving in the distance. Soon, he would pass his pale eyes over the smooth body of a malted brown wolf.  “Welcome to Northfall, fremmed.”
the staff team luvs u
*Ragnar frequently has black feathers woven into his scruff, curiosity of his good friend, Krakarak.
Visionary
05-08-2022, 11:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2022, 10:51 PM by Eirene. Edited 1 time in total.)
Eirene stopped her movements the moment she heard the creak in the brushline, freezing in the moment. She would wait, ears perked and standing tall on her limbs. She hadn't needed to wait long, the scent of a male hit her nose, a cool chill rushing through her spine. 

The man spoke, welcoming her to the lands. Northfall, an elegant name nonetheless. She thought about it and the male that stood before her, large and with a pelt the color of a soft gold. Words on his tongue appeared to be of a foreign nature that Eirene did not know of, but she surely hoped it wasn't anything bad. 

"Thank you...I didn't intend to...trespass, if that was what you were thinking." Eirene would say with a soft smile, hoping that her abrupt appearance didn't make her look utterly impaired. "I just couldn't help myself...these lands here are so beautiful." Eirene spoke spiritually, as if she were a poet. "It's almost like they called to me, it and it's beautiful trees."

Almost dazed, she snapped back into reality, looking into the eyes of the taller man. "Oh-! I apologize for my lack of manners. The Gods blessed me as Eirene, what do they call you?"

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
05-12-2022, 02:37 AM
Many trespassers would claim they did not mean too. That they were lost in their thoughts, so much so that a mark of borders slipped pasted their senses- even one so great ad a wolf's sense of smell. Whether it had 'slipped her mind' or whether she was lying and hadn't really cared, either way, the woman offered pleasantries and kindness.

“Perhaps they had called to you. They had for me.” The moment he came to the mountains, smelt the mix of evergreen and sea-spray, he knew that this would be home

She was soulful, seemingly lost in her mind a bit. He wondered if the gods came to her, same as they came to @Aslaug. “I am Ragnar Stormborn... but it is my mother which blessed me with mine.” He says with a playful smile. “This is the land of the Gods. Here they walk as mortals in their new lives and I am their mortal King. I take you are a woman of worship?”

He settles then onto his rump, tail curling over his front paws as he watches her. Leaving the floor for her to speak freely.
the staff team luvs u
*Ragnar frequently has black feathers woven into his scruff, curiosity of his good friend, Krakarak.
Adventurer
Visionary
05-12-2022, 03:28 AM
To hear the words that this man, too, heard the calls of the Gods made Eirene smile and raise ambrosia over her head. When he spoke to her once more, deep and full of haste, Eirene felt a chill roll up her shoulders— something she wasn't used to. She brushed it off with a light shake of her head, turning her full attention back to him. 

His name was Ragnar Stormborn, then. A name that felt mighty and robust, something that...that was holy in its own way. She'd turn her head up to look towards him as he spoke of the blessed way his mother named him, realizing that he in fact too must hold his faith in the Gods. His smile had only added to her curiosity. 

The man spoke that the Gods had blessed and walked these lands, which made Eirene turn her head away from him to look at their surroundings. She was walking on religious lands. She, Eirene, was here! She even stood before one herself, a small gasp leaving her mouth. 

"I'm so sorry your kingship— I had no idea." Her head dipped low, full of submission towards the King. Embarrassed, she turned back to look at him, answering his question with a soft, honest voice; "Yes. I've devoted my entire life to worship, and it seems they've...brought me here." She'd watch as he'd settle, doing the same herself a few paces away. 

"Forgive me for my observation..., but I imagine you do as well?" Please say yes— Eirene would shamelessly think, blood pounding in her ears as her heart cooed with anticipation. There was rarely anyone about that held stances of religion now which disheartened her. Yet...if this handsome gentleman indulged...she may have found herself a home.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
05-15-2022, 10:09 PM
Eirene's voice was soft, airy... He used it to speak her apologies as she then dipped herself in bow before him. Her politeness pleasing him further. Ragnar was a quite so relaxed king, friendly and playful to others. He demanded not others to vow before him and speak to him in such a manner. Still, he truly enjoyed it. The respect and awareness feeding his power and pride.

“So long as you respect my home and its people, I shall do the same for you.” He spoke on behalf of her not knowing. Not realizing she had trespassed. Not knowing she spoke of to its leader. But before she had known and after now, she hadn't given Ragnar any reason to treat her unkindly. Ragnar enjoyed visitors, be it friends wanting to just hang out for awhile near the coast or travelers needing a safe place for rest. All which came to Northfall, no matter the reason, made Northfall more known and so, himself.

“How could one not? Especially here where they reveal themselves to us? My eyes are open to all the gods- no matter the name, power they weild or religion which follows them.” He answers his beliefs, his openness, though does not answer her directly. Ragnar was a believer in a great many gods, though did not preach of or pray to any. He knew them to be there but also to believed in himself. His own accomplishments, his own deeds made by his own paws. Not because the gods blessed him so. Not because fate dictated his life for him. His worship only went so far.
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
05-16-2022, 02:36 AM
  When Ragnar spoke, Eirene would listen. Open-mindedly, she'd be enthralled by the way he spoke of the Gods. Someone so majestic as he appeared to be who devoted his life, too, to worship? It was almost picturesque for Eirene to imagine, almost feeling the urgent need to pinch herself. She hoped she had not been dreaming. 

The man, a king, spoke with elevated confidence that was refreshing for Eirene to listen to. She had dealt, with and heard, enough of her own thoughts for a long time. Interacting with someone like him had ignited a spark within her. A spark that she hoped to keep aflame, and burning. 

"It almost feels surreal," Eirene would coo, "the way you worship your deities. I have yet to find someone who shared my same intrigue— and then here you are, preaching similar to a gospel." A soft smile caught the tune of her feelings, a warmth filling the hole in her chest. With curiosity, Eirene would look back to Ragnar, a question lingering in the air, "Do all of your folk worship as you do?" A tranquil prayer was sent through the air, a whisper, a heavenly kiss— perhaps. Eirene had felt a sense of belonging for once in her life.

It felt good

"If they do...well, then I'd have to be as bold to say that if you would have me," Eirene would turn her head down in submission, hoping to appraise the King. "I'd like to...be a part of something like that." She kept her head low for a moment, lingering on his gaze, then lifting her head back up. "To devote my life to the heavenly bodies has been my mission— if they led me here, then I believe that this is where I shall stay."[/font]

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-17-2022, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2022, 05:15 PM by Ragnar. Edited 2 times in total.)
Ragnar would never think that someone might find him magestic. Though there it was, the admiration fixed in her gleaming amber gaze and her words spoke with much the same tones as well.

He smiles, almost sheepishly as a burning desire of his own begins to stir. However, his would not be so godlyI. Then again... Ragnar thinks to Freya and their times together.

She wanted to join then their ranks and live among the gods of Northfall as well. He looks to her with a curious eye and takes in the further respect she offers to the king whom found her trespassing upon his lands. All was forgiven in these moments for the young woman who had been led here.

“Much of them do, yes. Of course, not including those which had once been gods themselves. @Lóki, @Freya, @Chantico and @Ghidorah among us.” He pauses, lifting his muzzle high to the sky and sniffs the crisp, cold air. As though speaking their name might very well summon them to this spot at the edges of their claim.

Turning his head back down to her then as she lifted back up from her bow, “They are all different, just as us mortals are. Some kind, some callous. Some seek happiness and love in rebirth and others...” He thinks to the war god. “Find pleasure in fighting and war. That they might find absolution in order to return to the heavens upon their death.”

“Can you accept both the light and the dark of Northfall and be loyal through all our mortal trials? If so,” He turns along the path, to offer her freedom to continue on through their lands. “Then you may be one of us.”
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
05-18-2022, 08:56 PM
Ragnar's words enthralled her, sparked a fire in her heart. Shamelessly her tail would sway with anticipation. There were so many that she wanted to meet, to be in the presence of. The Gods led her here, so she would stay. 

"What any God stands for is valiant in it's own way," She'd say, etching closer to him. "I think there is pleasure in any God, despite what their judgement may be." Her heart would beat faster at her confession, but she still held her stature nonetheless. 

Ragnar's words slipped past her ear, crisp and shimmering, and Eirene beamed. Stars fell from her eyes, struck with a taste of delirium. He struck her with a taste of feverish gold. The King blessed her in a different way, a way that would be lifelong. 

Eirene didn't need time to consider her loyalties for as they've already been swayed. Her loyalties would belong to him. "I accept with gratitude, Ragnar." The woman would follow him through, uttering small prayers of thanks and joy to the Gods above.

we can end it here C: !! i love them

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top