Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
When You'll Have to Rise Above the Best

Early Morning Fog
P
Vanderfell Woods
Counsellor
05-04-2022, 10:41 AM
Time and time again now she had gathered her children, one by one to take out on their own. Each held a unique set of skills they had begun to take interest in and develop. With time and practice, she was sure they would blossom into worthy men and women of Vanderfell, but there was still one that concerned her even with Hiero's guidance.

@Rea...was different. They knew as much early on, but now she grew older...reckless and ambitious with youth, though unlike her siblings she felt no bounds to reel her spirit in. She saw a fire, one that could be molded into a roaring flame or the breeze that fanned it, but even with her father's life experience, she could not see a life of travel or battle for their girl.

No matter how confident any of them might be in their abilities, she would not see her firstborn die to reckless youth. It was for that reason she woke her daughter early before she left for her usual morning patrol in hopes to steal the girl away while her siblings still slumbered. Only after they were well away from the common dens would she cast a glance and question, Have you any guess as to why I called for you?

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-04-2022, 04:29 PM
Rea slept soundly, dreaming that she'd grown wings and soared gracefully among cotton candy clouds. She swooped and circled in her pursuit of birds and butterflies, living her best carefree life, when she was encouraged gently back into reality.

The girl was reluctant to surface, but she did so anyway. On gangly legs she rose and parted her jaws in a wide yawn before moving to step awkwardly over the sprawled limbs of her nearest sibling.

Blinking against the hazy light of a new morning, Rea loped closer to her mother's flank. At her question, she lifted an ear and mustered an enthusiastic smile; “are we gonna spar?”

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
05-05-2022, 11:11 AM
Rea's answer was ever optimistic, a trait she certainly inherited from her father, or perhaps it was just another side effect of her condition. Nevertheless, her response wounded her and the roan woman would suppress the hardened sigh that sought to break free. Instead of answering immediately, Ira would keep her gaze on the path ahead. You know I do not approve of your roughhousing. Even Hiero who knew his limits could easily forget and suppress his bodily needs. Perhaps one day she could learn the basics of defense, but that day would not come until she was in complete control and had total body awareness.

I aim to guide you on a path suited to your abilities. Your options...may be limited compared to other children. To your siblings... This was not news at this point, but the reminder served well considering her daughter did not seem to take her parents' words to heart. but that does not mean you are not capable. Her gaze would drift to the mottled body at her side for Rea's reaction. Hiero had always done better in these talks, but it was not his sole duty to navigate. Ira of all people knew what hard work could bring, she did not doubt her daughter, she only wished to see her safe.

Have you considered another path? Vanderfell is in need of healers. You would still be saving and protecting lives.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-05-2022, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2022, 05:21 PM by Rea. Edited 1 time in total.)
Rea was not overly disappointed, for she'd already known what her mother's response would be. The Queen reminded her pointedly that she did not approve of her eagerness to train as paladin, and she frowned deeply to herself as she trailed along their path. It wasn't fair that Cleo and their brothers got to follow her dream.

“Why, though?” Rea finally asked when Ira made mention of her siblings. Why was it they could wrestle and gnaw on one another as they wished, yet her own attempts were squashed? The mottled youth wanted to tell herself that it was because she was a better fighter, stronger, destined for greater things - but it just didn't make sense.

She was different, apparently. Special, perhaps. But ut wasn'tenough if an explanationand now that she was older, she wanted the truth. “We have a medic,” Rea countered boldly, thinking of gentle Quicksilver, “and I wanna fight tigers, like you.”

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
05-07-2022, 02:13 AM
Because it is dangerous. The words came with an unintended bite to her tone as a frown carved her features. The roan mother had no issue squashing hopes if they were not realistic. If they were not safe— but...she was still a child. This is what children did, they asked questions. Unlike your siblings, you know no bounds. Not intentionally...but physically, you can not feel what they do. Or so they could only assume. Truly this was Hiero's field of expertise and there was no way to ask her to explain feelings she had never experienced.

You should never want to fight a tiger. I pray to the Gods you will never find reason to. That goes for all of Vanderfell. Perhaps Vanderfell came out mostly unscathed, but there were still lives lost in their exchange, even if she was fortunate enough to see her own return. Kuhn still lived, or so she could only assume until otherwise confirmed. There was no saying he would not come back one day, but she would do everything in her power to keep her people, her children out of reach. There is more to life than fighting. Most fights, real fights, not the duals you may see here or between your siblings, are not pretty nor fun. They are messy and brutish. More importantly, not every fight will end with every party walking away.

Self-defense was important, but ideally, the best defense came from a sharp mind and a careful tongue. You would be better off preventing a fight. If you are smart, you can keep tensions from ever reaching a climax. A situation where everyone wins. Finally Ira allowed herself to sigh as she paused in her tracks to look at her daughter, Rea, not every wolf stays where they are. It is not smart to rely on one person to care for the pack. That is why the Skald is made of four seats. Today there is Quicksilver, but tomorrow we have none.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-07-2022, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2022, 04:38 PM by Rea. Edited 1 time in total.)
Rea hung back a little to sulk quietly, ears tilted back and brow furrowed. She did not like to be told "no", not by anyone - even her parents. Of an age where rebellion was to be expected, the girl huffed a sigh. No matter her argument or defence, Ira was unwilling to budge on her decision every single time.

And young Rea brooded over the unfairness of it all.

Her insensitivity to pain was something she didn't understand. If anything, the mottled rogue felt that it would make her a better fighter! Rea had never been harmed before, not truly beyond the minor cuts and bruises and aches seen commonly in cubs who tested their boundaries. No broken bones or deep lacerations had put her out of action - not yet, anyway, though she doubted they ever could.

She was a child, still. And she felt invincible!

The Queen's explanation was entirely reasonable one, yet it fell on uninterested ears. Rea, as stubborn as she was determined, was unwilling to listen. She continued along after Ira until they paused, and her verdant gaze rose to seek her dam's stern expression. “I don't want to be a medic,” she stated boldly, her frown deepening. “Why am I so different? It's not fair.”

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
05-09-2022, 11:21 PM
Ira would only slow her pace as her daughter lagged behind. She knew it was not the answer Rea sought, but it was the undeniable truth. It would be better that she learned such now as opposed to later firsthand. You do not have to be a medic it was only a suggestion. There are many paths in life, Rea. Paths beyond those of a warrior. Though even other pursuits could be dangerous for someone like she. There must be else that caught your gaze?

Frankly, she was uncertain how to answer the rest. She had always been rather blunt, but such an answer would not bode will with her growing rebellious daughter. Life oft is... Nothing ever was fair, but it was what one did with life's hand that made the difference. Did you know your father can not smell that of the average wolf? That he can not feel his hunger? Idly she wondered how his mother had done it knowing less than them now. He has a disadvantage in life. One that dictates his life from the moment he wakes to the time he rests. How perceptive had her children been to see his patterns by now?

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-12-2022, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2022, 05:21 PM by Rea. Edited 2 times in total.)
With the knowledge that her mother thought becoming a warrior was unachievable for young Rea made her feel all the more determined to prove her wrong. It was rebellious of her and likely to lead to a grounding should her efforts to wrestle and train with others be squashed, but she was a stubborn child. She'd always been a fighter despite her scrawny physique, in every possible way.

She hated the idea of all her littermates gathering round to learn the tactics of war while she sat staring longingly from the outside. Jealousy burned hit in her belly at the image she conjured in her head of this scene, and her teeth gritted.

“It's all I've ever wanted,” she wanted to cry, and angry tears began to prick at her emerald eyes. She was beyond the age of tantrums, and they'd never done any good for her in the past anyway. With her father who was considerably gentler, perhaps she'd gain some attention, but Ira was significantly less coddling. Rea knew better, yet it brewed and threatened all the same. “So I am like him, b-but-” she bit back emotion, “he is Alpha! Nobody tells him he can't fight.”

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
05-14-2022, 08:54 AM
It pained her to see that look in her daughter's eyes. She could look away and insist her way, but she would only be a coward if she could not say so to Rea's face. Instead, she held that watery gaze with one of stone. It is for your protection. Once more she would insist her words though this time they were softer leaving her maw, but Rea was far too young for that to mean well. Her words would ever fall on deaf ears, but she knew no other way to protect her without being forward or fabricating excuses.

You are not wrong. Your father is an excellent example of why all is not lost. He is strong, but he is sensible. Sharp wits can spare more than the strongest fang. I am still the one who oft sees to threats for a reason, but he is not so useless when left to defend. His talents lay elsewhere. The difference now between the two was age and experience. Hiero was every reason she did not wish to wholly deny her daughter, but they were lessons that would come with time. I am not against you learning how to defend yourself or your family, but I can not throw you to the pit to be jostled without care. I will not put you on the frontlines.

By now it was clear they would be going no further. Frankly, Ira was almost certain Rea would take off if given the chance, yet here she stood, fighting for her heart. A huff pressed through her nose as golden eyes sought the lower branches of nearby trees. When you are older and have learned your limits I am open to revisiting what it is your heart desires, but until then, I implore you to find another path. Glancing down once more she looked for an answer, her brow quirked ever so slightly. Does this satisfy you?

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-15-2022, 12:43 PM
Her protection, she said. Why couldn't her mother see that she didn't need protection!? Rea was no longer little enough that an eagle might carry her away, and she was by far the most sure-footed of her siblings - their mountain posed no threat to her. She was made of steel, solid and impenetrable, and her power was sure to grow.

At least, that was how Rea saw herself.

Really, she was just a gangly youth who was Mike's ahead of herself. A stubborn and foolish young girl who was more leg than brain.

At last, some small progress was made. Rea's watery eyes brightened immediately and she strained a whine of emotional joy past her teeth. “Yes!” Rea leapt into the air, bounding with newfound cheer as though she hadn't just been teeteringon the edge of tears mere moments ago, yes! Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

She swerved Ira's way, tail swinging, to mesh her furs lovingly to the High Queen's flank.

the staff team luvs u
05-17-2022, 10:53 PM
And so it seemed she had managed to come to a minor agreement to clear Rea's watery eyes...She wondered what Hiero would have to say on the matter, though he had always been the laxer of the two. He was the one who had overcome this disability after all, if either were to believe in Rea's potential it would be him. Of course, that was not to say she felt her daughter was incapable of her goals, only that she wished for her to tackle them at a point where she was more self-aware and in control.

As Rea pressed to her side, Ira would lower her head to bump against the girl's with a kiss planted atop her skull. Know that I have my reasons and trust that you and your siblings will only ever have my best interest. We may work towards your goals, but until then, what is it that you will study? Even should her path in life change once she was older, that was no excuse to idle in her youth. Rea would decide a path to pursue now alongside her siblings so that she may properly prepare for adulthood and the challenges it held.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-22-2022, 04:48 PM
Her mother returned her affections, and Rea felt as though she'd accomplished something. It wasn't that Ira was ever cold toward her, but agreements were hard to come by. The Queen was significantly more challenging than the King, but to have swayed her enough to consider some combat training in the near future was quite the achievement for young Rea.

“Uhm,” she had loped on ahead a few paces, barely able to contain her excitement, and paused to allow her mother the time to catch up, “plants are boring and I don't want to be bored all the time.” Action as therapist was dull too, but perhaps she could use her voice in other ways: “What can I do that's fun?”

the staff team luvs u
07-07-2022, 08:18 PM
There is much more to healing than boring plants. The balance of life and death would lay in your paws. Though truthfully she could offer little more herself to a medic's ways. I can not decide what does and does not bore you. This is a path you must find yourself. Lend an ear to those around you, watch the interactions between animal and land. There is much to learn.

The roan mother let her words trail off as she debated her next words carefully and if she truly meant them...but she could find no fault if she or Hiero were present. I suppose...so long as you are accompanied by your father or myself, you may assist with patrols. You will listen to our every instruction else you wish to lose this compromise. You will not fight as stated previously. Lowering her head she bumped her skull to her daughter's bleached patchwork pelt with a gentle nudge. On with you now. Find yourself.

can wrap here! feel free to archive or put a final post

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top