Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Caught a lil' jetlag but I'm golden, damn (yeah),

Morning
P
Paladin
05-03-2022, 08:46 PM
@Hotaru

Another morning, another patrol — another day to harness the body. She felt her muscles grow stiff and wonder if should take some time for a stretching, private training for one-self that ways she so knew. Though how do Vanderfell wolves do within their training? Orlaith stretched and dug her claws into the dirt as she felt her back crack just a bit, and rolled her head with a satisfying creak. An eye to gaze around, for something.. Something one way or another to do or keep her body within a traction. 

Mindlessly that she would, the best thoughts were to circle around for scents. Marking, what seemed to be like unknown masses beyond the trail and swiftly coating so. As she so went, the smell of them was a reminder that foxes seemed rather prominent within the area, it wasn't the first, and wasn't the last. Though not the same from the lunatics she had met before, Orlaith could detect the ripe smell of foxes upon the wind, their unruly musk as she switched her nose.

But they are not within the border — she could smell they tiptoed around as if they were toying so, and she marked that exact area that seemed most fresh by their way. Lightly though, did she snarl to the outside of these forest — if they could hear, it was a warning.

Fuck them foxes, are they all crazy?

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-10-2022, 02:00 AM
With new sights and scents Hotaru had taken to wandering perhaps a tad too far from allied borders as she looked to unfamiliar plants and trees for guidance. The pale princess had wandered down to Ullarcraig run in her exploration of the mountain, easily sidetracked by the abundance of life that seemed to wander about the forest. It was plain to see why two packs had settled beside such a place. Had more flowers grown here she would have almost found it similar to the vale she was born in.

Unfortunately, this was not her home nor would it ever be. It was clear from the wandering scents that Vanderfell used this land rather heavily and she doubted her mother would look to claim something of importance to the only pack they were on friendly terms with. Trying not to linger on lost homes, Hotaru would follow the river with curious eyes. She had mostly known snow all her life, yet here there were so many more colors. Even these weird...er...well, frankly she wasn't sure what they were.

The princess approached slowly as she sniffed at brightly colored tattered cloth, each piece short and square branching from a narrow trunk. She was just about to reach for one when a snarl ripped the air nearby. Instinctively, her muzzle retreated as she quickly glanced to see a mountain of a woman glaring into the woods. She wasn't sure what she was looking at and so naturally, her mind assume the worst.

Hotaru had stumbled a pace or two back as her mind raced on the possibilities causing her to stumble a step into the cool current. The sensation caused her to yelp as she quickly jumped from shallow waters to the river bank almost as if the water itself had burned. Of course...there was nothing actually wrong and the dip of river she set foot in only reached mid-shin.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-14-2022, 08:12 PM
They hadn't returned, or at least, those particular foxes. Their scents registered in her mind and a wariness if whatever 'monster' that was mentioned would also come down running. When she would travel the borders, and even now, there wasn't anything truly unusual. Scents she could recognize and guard against, nothing like a 'monstrous' bear, or something else within that tropes. She would watch, staying at the borders.. But was ever so cautious, and especially when Orlaith heard the sound of someone else.

With haste did she go, thinking that trouble came along it's way and she found the trial relatively quickly ; wasn't as if they were far though. A wolf of a Shiroshikian scent was near, a wolf of whites and pretty blue eyes, not someone that Orlaith knew in particular. Though she didn't see the other dip slightly in the currents, and only was worried if someone came to her, "Are you okay?" the warrior asked the other as she would step into the currents itself, offer any lending paw if so needed.

the staff team luvs u
05-21-2022, 10:33 AM
Swiftly the pale princess felt her embarrassment spread from her face to the tip of her ears and neck. She had already shaken the water from her paws when another approached her with concern, going as far as crossing into the river to approach. Unfortunately, her goodwill was shirked as Hotaru shied from her reach all while attempting to keep her composure despite clearly having yelled a moment ago. I'm fine, thank you. She knew what it would look like. Nearly two yet her body had refused to grow beyond the bare minimum for a wolf and a princess to top. She'd look helpless, yet she had dealt with far more than any other who sat atop a "fluffy throne". 

They couldn't help it. They would all view her the same no matter who she actually was beyond her looks. It's foolish, but I merely startled myself... She'd resist the pout on her lips as her lavender gaze stared out to the woods where the other had once snarled. Haven't you something more pressing? You were snarling at something, weren't you? If she had spotted something she'd hope she hadn't left it be for the sake of her alone. Gods forbid she became the reason Vanderfell had a breach.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
06-03-2022, 09:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2022, 09:31 PM by Orlaith.)
When she was close, the smell of Shiroshika was clear. She looked pretty much like the leader, but the name of either seemed to flee her mind at the moment. The biggest difference that can be seen is compared to the pale-blue of the Empress, the one before her had a wonderous lavender, a gaze that matched lovingly against her pelt and at the same time stood out. She, like the other, was small, very small — but by all means, was an adult.

As the other seemed okay, she backed out to give appropriate space, "Ah," Orlaith ears flickered, as her own gaze shifted to the forest, "there been some troublesome foxes around. I was giving a warning to not fuck with me again." She snorted and huffed lightly — though in truth the warrior has not seen any sense. She was just a bit too wary over them being freaky, and the mention of monsters before..

"You seen anything suspicious?"
her gaze shifted back as she asked the other ; the smell around indicated nothing seemed abnormal. But what she missed on a patrol, could perhaps be seen by the other. Maybe that could give a lead where to find such bastards — and take them out.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
06-18-2022, 05:41 AM
Aside from a wolf growling at empty air? She had her reasons, sure, but it was perhaps the most strange thing she had seen thus far...and since she was asking. No... I am unfamiliar with your territory still so I have mostly...wandered...deeper in the claim. It would be wrong surely for her to mark or trail their borders with her own pack scent to share. Perhaps it was an excuse as well to avoid an unsavory encounter with something far more fierce than a mere fox.

Are your borders usually troubled? Shiroshika's had been quiet mainly aside from their pest...but truthfully she knew little about the wolves they now resided with. What struggles they endured or why they would even bother with a pack days away like her own. Perhaps...this had been the first time she considered how different life might be in a pack other than her own. I am not one who usually handles border interference, but perhaps I might aid you should you be in need? Surely...a woman as large as her could handle a fox or two, but she had been raised a princess. Dirty work was left to the samurai...even if she was allowed to trail the borders.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
07-03-2022, 09:26 PM
She grinned, laughing lightly, "well, that's fine then." If she was the only loon within the forest, that was better then others. At the very least she knew she wouldn't harm her packmates unless there was a specific reason, such as treason. Although as far as Orlaith saw, there was nothing like that, just some.. Unusual entities on occasion, and that very same entity was her. It was still an odd feeling, to think everyone seen her as a dead-man and even avoid her to that. So she didn't interact with them either ; if anyone was like that. No one seemed to discriminate at the very least.

"Normally no. Just some foxes," she waved a paw, as far as Orlaith saw Vanderfell was quite peaceful, "you want to help? Can you even fight?" Although she would always gladly take another warden-in-arms, Orlaith raised a brow and looked at her with skeptism. Small, petite-like..

"You look you need some muscle-build or training," she commented off-handedly, rolling her shoulders lightly, not realizing if any of her comments were deemed as rude or rather too blunt. But.. She also wouldn't really mind helping the other with that ; especially if it meant more defense around. Since their new, Shiroshika, was in the midst of them.. The more that could guard, the better.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
08-16-2022, 06:11 AM
Hotaru flicked an ear at Orlaith's rather blunt comments. She knew she was small and a princess usually did not fight her own battles. That's what her samurai was for. I've fought the same battle you lost. Perhaps it was rude herself to say, but Orlaith was...fine enough. She was standing here after being presumed dead, wasn't she? Either way, Hotaru had made it out of that battle unscathed where others had not been so lucky. It would be easy to say it was luck that gave her results, or maybe she simply wasn't worth targeting despite her rank.

I've been building muscle running the mountain. I might not be the strongest, but I'd like to think I can handle myself. At least long enough for someone else to arrive, though she had no means to test that. If you are concerned with foxes then I should manage. She had fought a tiger and, er...tied? That being said, I wouldn't say no to a few self-defense pointers. I haven't had much practice with another wolf, nor would I know where to place my paws.

the staff team luvs u
08-18-2022, 03:54 AM
Orlaith narrowed her eyes, "The fuck you mean lost? As far as i'm aware, I fought nothin' since joinin' Vanderfell," the warrior spat at the other, quite clearly annoyed at her statement. As overall, the firey woman was a sore loser, especially as she lost to @Daighre all those moons ago and is quietly pretending that it didn't exist — although didn't lose, she didn't win either. There was a few more if she thought of though, but nothing that warranted of what she thought 'counted,' unless, of course, she won. Different story.

"Don't know missy," she sniffed heavily, a scornful eye, "if I lost the so-called fight, am I worthy of such tips?" A voice within a mockery, while smirking lightly — part of her kinda wanted to bulldoze down but for one, she wasn't part of Vanderfell, secondly, she was a Princess of another pack. Would Orlaith get in trouble for her remarks? Truthfully it hung in the back of her mind lightly, yet, she held grudges, and didn't like whatever she was packing. Didn't think too hard when in a fighty-mode.

It didn't occur to her through the fight she mentioned was the very fight her previous self died in.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
08-19-2022, 05:32 AM
Like a dime hitting the floor, the other quickly snapped a retort causing the pale woman's brow to raise. She had seen her in the fray. Saw her body dragged back to the woods for a closed burial, yet here she stood. The woman of rumor. Guess you had to lose something though for such a blessing and it seemed like Orlaith paid with her mind.

Quickly she found herself disinterested. She wasn't here to be lectured or scorned for stating a fact. Losing is a part of life. She knew that more than most perhaps. Ever since she was a child all she had done was lose. She had lost her family, her home, her childhood. You're supposed to come back stronger for it. Just as Orlaith had. She had come back to life, but if she was so stuck up about a mark on her record then Hotaru would find someone who was more than just an image.

If you have never lost though then I suppose I'll go find another teacher. One who has made mistakes to correct my own. She wouldn't wait to be correct. Instead, she simply turned around to head for the mountain peaks. Maybe Orlaith would change her mind, but it mattered little if she was going to act like she was the "child".

the staff team luvs u
08-25-2022, 09:12 PM
She huffed and snorted, rolling her eyes at the other, feeling like she was being lectured. Truthfully, momentarily forgotten they were quite similar in age, and couldn't be known who was older.. Birthdays weren't really a thing for wolves, at the least the wolves she grew up with, only knew of the seasons. The missy seemed one of high-class, but not one that Orlaith felt was ready to bend down and help.. Only if she asked, probably. A stalemate would come across, one unwilling to accept the words of losing, and the other not wishing for a teacher like that.

With a paw, the warrior would wave her have, "safe travels," said with sarcasm, very much not willing to bend her spine and admit anytime, of her losing. Non-existent! Especially not here, yet, at least.

the staff team luvs u
08-28-2022, 09:15 AM
The princess was highly unimpressed as Oralith only doubled down on her insistence. No one could win every fight. Not even wolves like Noboru. For a moment she felt her gut stir in disgust, but she would quickly remind herself that he was far out of reach. Hopefully forever. As she was waived off she couldn't help but have half the mind to share with her leader the manners she displayed with an ally's future leader. Perhaps she would, but that wasn't her goal right now. Find a teacher first, then deal with the ill-mannered guard.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top