Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Don't say thank you or please,

Afternoon
AW
Elkshire
04-23-2022, 04:30 AM
perhaps @Rahma or @Hawking if he is back from his adventure?

The forest felt.. Silent. Through the mewlings of her young the sounds of footsteps were away from herself, and only a few visited. She hadn't even called for a medic to make sure they were alright, and who knew if @Cynefrid even knew that they were around — only those that could smell the blood and birth, and heard the cries, truly knew so. The Queen was absent, as she held within the den away from the shame of it all, even if others would insist otherwise..

She tended to them, with a reluctance. Counting the days down when to separate so and fend to the world itself — the Elkshire wolves would love and care for them where Celnes could not. Where she struggled to bond and love and at the very least, others would do within her place. At the very least, they carried the Deorwine name and the blood of.. Who knew, who it was.

It was best not to find out. Even though regret and shame, there was still a possessiveness, for they were hers, and no one elses. Just as she thought of her first eight. Her connection to them not completely broken, but the Queen held trouble, how to deal with her own emotions..

So she continued laying within her den, curled around the now quiet young.

the staff team luvs u
04-23-2022, 07:47 PM

-waves fingers and finangles timeline-

He didn't know what had happened to him or why. Just that he had been transported to some far-off land that was jungle in the midst of tundra. While exploring, one of his antlers had been knocked loose and had fallen off. It was upsetting but he figured that it had to be natural as he'd seen other antlers lying in the ground in seasons past. Still, it left him feeling more vulnerable than usual as he only had one set of antlers to fend off predators and the like.

How long before the other one fell off?

As it was, he managed to wander back down towards the Temperate region a few weeks later. He pushed passed the scent markers and followed Celnes' scent. He should probably report what he'd found. He knew he wasn't one of the wolven members but hell, he wished that he was and he would act it. Patrolling borders, relaying dangerous things, protecting those that he could, and always training and learning.

He followed her scent, milky and intertwined with pups... it was not surprising as her stomach had been rather round before. Now he knew he had to be the best that he could to help protect the newest whelps of the pack. He stopped, several yards from the den as he gave a whistling call. It was low enough that it wouldn't reverberate through the entire territory but would just be for those around here. His announcing that he was back and that he wished to speak with her if she was available.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
04-23-2022, 10:04 PM
There was no mistaken to the scent of a deer ; one who was now mixed with the Elkshirian scent and yet not of a wolf itself. It brought nostalgia to when her first young had an elk companion. He came and left before some even remembered them ; they held vague memories of that holy being. Even she thought that perhaps He was sent by the High Elk to bless her young and protect them within the struggling means and just maybe.. Hawking as like the same.

Almost too perfect within his venturing to the crown — emerging with wolf tendencies and guarding like so. Was the High Elk pulling more strings in pity? To the unwanted litter that now lay next to her womb, surviving, and mewling at the world itself. How sweet would that be, and the desire was greatly there and yet.. She held some suspicions if it was true or not.

Celnes moved — she stuck her head outside the den and smiled faintly. She was tired, "How are you Hawking? Are you settling in fine?" acting as if there was no young on her teat. But.. There was some unusual scents hanging upon his pelt as she sniffed lightly.

the staff team luvs u
04-23-2022, 10:06 PM
Her mother stirred and moved, within the comfortable position they once were in, was not disturbed. The young cried out, as she was snuggled within the paw of her giver and with it being torn away, she missed that warmth. Mewling, and crying, the such desire to call back what was gone — or at the very least, have a replacement.

the staff team luvs u
04-23-2022, 10:17 PM
 He made his call and then waited patiently, it was only a few moments before the Queen presented herself to him. Or rather, her head, as it poked out of the birthing den. He wondered if he was too forward in his approach, or if he should have held his news to himself and wait for a more opportune moment. Still, she did not seem annoyed at him or otherwise irritated. The only thing he could note was the tiredness that creased her muzzle.

He was sympathetic. He knew it could not be easy to rule as well as raise newborns that demanded your attention.

"I am, yes. Thank-you for accepting me here." He gave a dip of his half-antlered head... and then, because it felt awkward having to keep his head so low to talk to her whilst she was in the den, he gently folded his legs to lie down on his knees. It was easier talking this way. "I feel quite welcome amongst your pack, I only hope that I can give back and work for my place here." He knew that the pack worshipped deer but still. He didn't want to feel like dead weight.

"I actually had news to report, if you're not--" He paused as the mewling of a pup sounded and briefly captured his attention. "Too busy." His steel blue gaze turned back to her and not the noises from the den. He'd never actually seen newborns before. He wondered what they looked like.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
04-23-2022, 10:33 PM
"We are not named Elkshire without a reason. You and others are always welcomed in this claim." He came with another who seemed a bit more on the wary side ; something that Celnes understood. As she dwelved away from her homeland, the concept of wolves not eating, and even worshiping ungulates was simply unheard of, and for some, simply barbaric. Though for the Queen it was the other way around — to tackle on such royal ones and disregard a Gods word seemed simply unholy to the making. Especially, due to their ability to now speak — and thus she had banned any hunt of them, regardless of horned or not. Pray tell, she wondered the day dear Vivian would appear once more, who was the very first divine. .. Understanding why was not the same was empathizing why.

It wouldn't be far-fetched to say she even favored the desire of elk and deer members then a few wolves. Though manpower, was desperately needed — at the very least it seemed Hawking was far more able bodies and ready to protect then most.

The crying of one young resounded out, and her ears fell downcasted for a moment, the slight change in face of a shame as she looked to them nuzzled so. The one with a darkened look and swaved with a few white points was upset her paws were taken, as she was addressing the young deer. Though she quickly changed that despair to a continual warm smile, "I am not," she assured, "they are.. A bit needy for the next few weeks," Celnes said with a slight chuckle to smooth over the situation.

.. She wondered if he was curious on them. Her gaze drifted toward the four — was it a blessing, that someone was sent toward them? Should she take it as a sign, that she wasn't alone? So the High Elk whims and yet even if he gave all what she needed, the Queen still could not form that true bond that most would need. All she felt, was a shame an embarrassment. They were true bastards.

the staff team luvs u
04-24-2022, 04:56 AM
 There seemed to be a subtle change in her expression, the down casting of ears and the way her countenance seemed one of despair. He couldn't pinpoint the exact reason beyond the broad one of if being due to her pup. He just figured something might have happened that was unexpected but the mother was quick to quell her pup's crying. He was amazed at how quickly she did it and the tenderness with which it was done, from what little he could see. He could not read the thoughts within or know the depths of her despair, unfortunately. "I've... never seen newborn pups before. My mom and dad never had any..." In his young voice there was curiosity but he would not ask to see them. No, that might be infringing too much and he didn't know how uncomfortable that would make the mother. He hadn't been here long enough to be afforded such trust, he assumed.

Regardless, he still had a report to make.

"The news I wanted to share was this," The youthful curiosity had faded from his tone as he adopted a more business-like aura. "I was wandering further north and came across a tree with a light inside. It might sound completely insane, but I'm telling you the truth when I say it transported me clear across the world to a jungle that was situated inside the snowy tundra area." He felt the leader should know about these strange portals so that she could warn everyone against getting too close and falling in if they happened to see them.

the staff team luvs u
04-24-2022, 07:09 AM
Eventually jostled, he awoke from his peace slowly at first as he realized enough chill to warrant some fuss. It rumpled his brow, and he started to wiggle from his core soon after. That gave him the momentum to cry about it, though the whimpers were tired and small and ultimately short-lived. He had found he was closed in, snug between the other bodies, so he didn't get far. Didn't need to. It wedged him closer to his sister, though, and he was quiet again for now.

Blindly, he wobbled his head around and tried to settle in, maybe get comfortable. Much of the world still felt so foreign.

skippable!

the staff team luvs u
[Image: WEIRS.png]
Adventurer
04-24-2022, 05:28 PM
If she could read the mind of others ; perhaps she'd feel well, knowing that she seemed motherly at the very least. Despite such a connection having issues forming, there wasn't sheer neglect. She would raise them so, and yet it brought questions, when they didn't need milk anymore.. Would this continue on? Even Celnes couldn't tell if she'd stick around enough, and if anything, the pack as a whole — would help raise.

"Would you like to see them?" One cried out, a little boy who like the other, was tipped within whites itself. Could almost say they were twins if not for the slight different color in coat, but both cried enough. A mimic of the other almost, but at the very least.. They were quieter, then the eight she firstly gave birth too. She moved slightly to allow a looking toward the four, a space within the den if the deer so wanted to stick his head inside. If Vaskian could fit his head in, she imagine Hawking could as well.

"In another time, i'd say that sounds unreal. Yet, many of us wake up from once being dead, and even the stars seem to shift to beings itself. It wouldn't be too out of reach, that the unknown starts to open further." She wouldn't throw Hawking's words away, he didn't seem like a boy who wouldn't lie like so, especially as he came to report her about it. Though smile upon her face it was chilling, as she hummed lightly in thought — these portals.. What could they mean?

It brought him to what seemed like another world altogether, and the ability to come back. There could be uses, she so thought, but the risks didn't seem worth it. Especially how many able bodies there were in Elkshire were small, and she would not want to lose more into that void, "if you see others tell them to stay clear of it. We don't know if others can come back like you did."

An unknown door that led to an unknown land ; though she wanted to see for herself, her recovery was in a chaos. Attacked by a cougar and then into birth, Celnes didn't have the ability to truly see it for herself.

the staff team luvs u
04-24-2022, 11:01 PM
 An offer was made and the young boy nodded eagerly. Despite his need to feel useful and his continuous drive to excel... he was still a kid. He edged closer, scooting on his knees so that he may stick his head inside. Except, he'd forgotten about one thing...

Snap!

His second antler fell off with that familiar pinching sensation and now lay outside the den on the earth, gleaming and golden as if it were mocking him. Yep, he'd forgotten about the fact that his antlers were due to come off apparently. "You... can have that if you want." He knew that wolves seemed quite fond of them --or at least one in particular-- so he figured it might be a gesture of goodwill for her to have it. Not like he could do anything with it now.

He continued to snake his head forward so that he could peak in and see. Despite himself, his nub of a tail wagged in a wolflike manner as he looked at the little balls of life. Content at their mother's side. "They're so..." He tried to find a word to describe them but fell short beyond one, "Cute." He said, almost sounding embarrassed to utter such a soft phrase. But it was the truth. They were adorable! He smiled softly at them.

He twitched an ear towards Celnes and then his gaze found her --he was quite close-- as she spoke, believing him. He was glad. He wasn't sure if he could ever invent such fantastical tales. "This place is... I don't know. Insane." Things that shouldn't be possible were. To her words he nodded his head. "I'll make sure everyone knows. And to be careful of any weird lights... we don't know if there could be more." And that was quite dangerous.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
04-29-2022, 11:22 PM
Despite the withdrawal of her feelings and the despair of her young ; they were surrounded by luck. The luxury of elder siblings to care for, a bear that worried and at last deer that welcomed into the mighty forest. Seen as protectors of sorts, especially Hawking who seemed all too eager, and all too wolf-life to truly be called one. Born and bred as so ; a welcoming plus to the wolves who shared love with the hooved mammals. And even now it continues to rain as a golden antler snapped off, and was dropped at the foot of the den.

"For the Deorwine family, we find antlers sacred, charms of luck that are well-collected and adored," Her paw reached out, dragging the golden antler closer as so, it was tucked near the back of her den, just beside her leg as one of her young started to roam near it.. Only to cry out at it's cold touch. They could not see or hear, barely even smell — the young relied soley on the touch of life. Her back paw stuck out slightly, as the pup then curled toward it with a yawn.

"They will learn to cherish it," too much of a ball of nothing at the moment.

"Check on it every so often," the Queen instructed with a steady look, "whether to see if it does something else."

the staff team luvs u
04-30-2022, 04:57 PM
 Charms of luck. Sacred. Ah, did that mean that they didn't chew them as Archon did? He briefly wondered if it would be seen as an affront to their religion but shook it off. Surely not... right? He'd simply handed the shed antlers over and not thought a second about it. They were no long part of his body so why should it matter?

Although now he felt quite naked with no antlers upon his young head. Just as the first had, it bled a little bit and felt all too sensitive at the pedicle against the air... but he ignored it. There were other matters to worry about now.

"I'm glad I can offer such a good gift, then." Something for her pups and for herself. Perhaps a congratulations or a "welcome to the world" sort of thing. "I suppose you all... don't chew them then?" Not really asked for himself but Archon. Perhaps a good segway into that conversation about his travel-partner.

He idly watched the antics of the explorative youngling as they wandered over to the antler and touched it. His tail gave a singular wag at the youngster's upset at the audacity of the item to be cold. Celnes was quick to offer her limb to soothe the babe and for them, all was right again with the world.

His gaze found the queen's again as she spoke. He gave a nod of affirmation. "I'll make it a point to visit it." This time he'd make sure not to get too close. This also gave him an opportunity to visit Kore... she was situated near the area he'd found it in.

"And... there's one more thing." He admitted, remembering that he needed to ask permission to have Archon with Elkshire and their ranks. Although, he'd wait for her go-ahead before just blabbing everything out. He knew the queen was partial to brown coats so his friend should be just fine.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
05-02-2022, 12:37 AM
She looked at her young who without teeth acted to suckle with their puny gums, attempting to seek out like a teat. Though met with crying, and she looked back at the now naked buck. Features, much of a stag and yet doe-ish at the moment without his crown — but it'd grow back, as all would. If not for the banning of deer and elk overall, Hawking would be a target to hunt. Those without antlers, within the customs of Deorwines, were free meals, blessings, by the High Elk as permission of a 'sacrifice,' a sign they were safe, and.. Given, to the wolves that protected the rest. 

"Each to their own, but most of my kin would not treat them like chewtoys." Her own were too young for teeth and cause real damage — but she knew in the past others treated it as so. Yet, it wasn't fondly touched upon, and frowned for such a sacred object to be used as a mere chewing object. Decorated and hoarded, used as more beloved then to discard upon it's no longer use.

She then waited — for what else Hawking had to say. He already given so much, that she appreciated it within her smile at him. A guard, and to discard the antler to her so ; what else did he have to tell?

the staff team luvs u
05-07-2022, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2022, 08:46 PM by Warwick.)
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
They had arrived. The prince heard voices inside their Queens' quarters and he assumed one belonged to Hawking. 

The circumstances in their present were delicate, and whilst she had invited the holy ungulate into the privacy of her nursery, she would likely not be grateful for her son bringing in an unknown wolf. 

He halted, turning to Archon. 'Pardon me for a moment Archon, I shall see if my mother will grant us an audience at such short notice'. 

He slipped inside the cove, clearing his throat to flag his interference. With the room shielding from natural light, his eyes grew brighter in the depths of any surrounding darkness. Glancing over at the deer, he smiled promptly, before addressing his Queen.

'Excuse my intrusion, Mother, there is a young wolf outside. I believe it would be in your interest to meet with him'.

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

please let @Archon post next

the staff team luvs u
05-08-2022, 07:29 PM
^^There was something about the den that struck a cord of familiarity, as though Archon had been here before. He stopped as the den neared, glancing up at it and all of its wonders, distracted for several brief moments as Warwick turned to face him.

Ah, right; he wanted Archon to wait outside while he was given permission for him to enter the den. He gave a nervous smile, nodding his head - and the prince was gone, leaving Archon alone. Slowly, he approached the den, noting the smells of youth and, of course, Hawking, as he could hear him and Celnes, inside.

Was this his chance to leave? He glanced back into the direction they’ve come, and then towards the den, where Hawking was. His ears lowered, not really ready to be alone again, and decided that Hawking was worth fighting zombies.

So he sat up straight, his tail neatly tucked around his paws, and awaited, anxiously, to be called upon or for the queen to exit the den, unsure of which would happen. Gods, it was like waiting and being called for an interview.
^^
the staff team luvs u
05-10-2022, 01:39 AM
 Well, at least Archon wouldn't be prosecuted for his want to chew antlers... although he wondered if the endearing boy would get side-eye. Bah! Who cared about side-eye anyway? Anyone didn't like what you were doing and it wasn't against the rules, then they could shove off. Although, he had a feeling that Archon wouldn't see it that way. The poor guy was always so sensitive, a bad trait around the sometimes standoffish deer...

In any case, he should bring that up now that he had Celnes' attention. "I had a friend I travelled back with and I think he would be good to have in Elkshire. If you would have him? I left him waiting just outside the territory and--" He was prepared to ask if she'd have an audience... but speak of the devil.

He paused speaking when the young prince entered the cove. He spoke about someone in need of meeting with her. He knew it could only be one person, unless there was an uncanny coincidence. "Is it Archon?" He looked back at Celnes. "That's who I was talking about." Perfect timing! They could get all of the introductions out of the way. Hopefully the queen wouldn't send his friend out the door.

the staff team luvs u
05-14-2022, 06:07 PM
Whoever was at her teat would now fall, as Celnes moved her body forward and out of the den ; perhaps pushing Hawking a bit, but her surprise couldn't be contained, "Archon?" the name she knew quite well. A gaze drifted to her son who introduced the young pup, and she was quick to determine that he did not remember. He was very young after all, and she couldn't remember if his eyes had opened by the time that he was 'kidnaped,' away from Elkshire.

It was the same Archon that Meissa and Flynn, once upon a time, had brought to the crown as a lost lamb. His face, his body and even eyes could not be mistaken as the same one she knew well of, and couldn't help but frown lightly. They had taken him, obviously so, whisked away into the night to not be seen, or even heard from again.. Scouts, that she vaguely sent didn't find signs of them, or at least, Teodora didn't report finding them, and likewise, no guards mentioned their appearance around the borders. .. What had happened if they abandoned him? Did he leave, perhaps? 

"Do you remember me, Archon?" the Queen asked, for she remembered him quite well.

the staff team luvs u
05-14-2022, 06:13 PM
She cried lightly, at the movement of her dame that caused the young child to set backwards in a tumble. She was mewling in a wanting, a crying for mother for the sudden separation of this warmth and comfort. Faust particularly landed by @Weirs.

the staff team luvs u
05-14-2022, 08:32 PM
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

Warwick watched his mother's urgency, stepping aside when she made that beeline to exit with purpose. He saw the fallen pups, and his heart swayed to stay with them but knew his dam would be swift to return to all. He turned to leave, following and sitting at his dam's side, keeping quiet for the remainder.

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
05-16-2022, 11:22 PM
^^So here Archon was, sitting up nice and tall awaiting for something to happen like a good boy, and totally not considering leaving. Warwick went in, and out came the queen, followed by the boy who’d just went inside.

The first very thing that Archon noticed about her was the smell of milk, and the way her treats swung as she approached him.He was so distracted by that he had forgotten the speech he had prepared for her, and nearly jumped out of his skin when she spoke.

Right. He had come here to meet the queen, to… join them, he guessed. He recalled the conversation with Hawking, about being a healer. He didn’t really know what it took to heal, but he recalled the feeling of uselessness when his mother had told him about the walrus, and when Hawking’s antler had come off.

He didn’t like feeling useless. He didn't like the feeling when his loved ones were in danger, and there was nothing he could do about it.

The question that the queen had asked him caused him to blink. His ears flickered as he took her in, glancing up and down, his vision lingering on those teats a moment longer than he should have, but eventually determining that he did not know her.

Yet, somehow, she knew him. Judging by her question, she was most certain that she knew him. “I-I’m sorry, miss Queen Celnes, but I do not… remember you, or your relation to me. I am sorry. I uh, I traveled back with my friend, Hawking, from my mother’s pack in the tundra. And, um, I’d like to join as a healer, if you’ll let me, but also allowing me to visit my mother from time to time?”

Was that too tall of an order for her to allow?
^^
the staff team luvs u
05-17-2022, 01:28 AM

Let me know if the little pup booping is okay, if not I can remove it!

He was not expecting for Celnes to know his friend so well. Well enough that she scooted past him and he had to shimmy to the side to avoid being shoved into the wall in her haste. The pups began to mewl for their mother and he quickly let out an awkward little "Shhh, shh, she's coming back... don't worry." Was it normal for them to cry like that? He would give one of the little ones a small little nuzzle to try to quiet them before backing out of the den himself.

He'd go stand beside Archon, providing silent support to his friend while he listened to the conversation at hand with intense interest. Apparently, he used to live here and had no idea about it. Funny how life seemed to work out around here.

the staff team luvs u
05-23-2022, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2022, 05:08 PM by Célnes. Edited 1 time in total.)
She glanced at Hawking with a gratitude, before giving but a pity smiled to Archon, "perhaps it was because you were so young. You once were here, shortly after my first young were born," and she looked at Warwick. Perhaps they were three months apart? She could not remember well what was the age, only that the young man before her could speak well enough to talk to her, "but you were picked up and taken away by a few rogues from Elkshire. Though, they were your guardians at the time." Celnes yet to drop their names in a wonder if he remembered Meissa or Flynn — as curiosity set if he knew what had happened to them so.

"You are always welcome back, Archon. Though I must ask, who is your mother?" An edge to the voice despite her angelic smile coming through, paws crossed as she looked at Archon with a diplomacy, a need for knowledge. Maybe unsuited to her rather weak figure, bones by the lack of substance she was eating. But it was the first time in a long while.. Did she hear news such as this.

She had to know.

the staff team luvs u
05-24-2022, 07:35 AM
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

He looked curiously from mother to Archon as each spoke. And listened to the recounting of their history here in Elkshire. Warwick did not recall the wolf and neither did the name ring a bell, perhaps he was far too young at the time.

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

feel free to skip warwick, unless he's addressed or something

the staff team luvs u
05-24-2022, 08:48 PM
^^Hawking had come out to stand beside Archon in silent support, which Archon deeply appreciated. Gently, the boy would lean against his friend as he listened to the queen speak about a past that he could not remember.

The earliest memory he had was of Miessa; he could hardly remember her now, but he remembered thinking she was the coolest wolf ever for having two tails. He listened softly, nodding his head, and offering a nervous smile as she told him that he would always be welcomed back.

“So I was kidnapped?” Archon blinked, lowering his head a little, glad that Olive hadn’t been his earliest memory - otherwise he might have thought her to be the one who took him. His ears folded back at the thought of ever looking at Olive in a negative light. “Guess it’s a good thing I’m not with that lady anymore, huh?” Archon whimpered, his little voice quivering with emotion.

He cleared his throat, and collected himself, straightening up as he looked at the queen. “Momma’s not Meissa tho, uh, her name’s Olive. She lives up north, in Frostchant. ”
^^
the staff team luvs u
05-27-2022, 04:46 AM
"They were assigned as your guardians. Kind, wolves, though foolish and blind in their ways. I did not think they would mistreat, much less leave you alone." Half much, she did not think to use such manpower to go hunting for them and a child that wasn't her own. The only reason any were sent out was not to find him, but to dispatch the few traitors and end their so measly life. Disrespectful and even lured others away from Elkshire ; she didn't like wolves who so openly challenged her. There was already a few other cousins beneath the dirt due to that.. Ah, but karma wouldn't get away from Celnes, for those same cousins look exactly like Rohesia and Calhoun, her lovely kids. 

She hummed lightly, for the name of Olive was awfully familiar. Surely it wasn't that same white wolf she met long ago, near the river, was it? Though she mentioned being a mother many times, but within this life, was not.. Another day to investigate, "You are welcome to visit her as you so please, though if you are to stay with her.. Please do tell us, we do not bite to those who wish to leave." 

And she so smiled — knowing fully well a small gesture of kindness can become very handy within the future. For who wouldn't want to stay with their beloved parent? Well, maybe not hers.. Likewise some of her children have gone wayward.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top