Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Come back baby, don't you cry,

P
04-22-2022, 09:48 PM
@Olive

Once swarmed around by packs, they were slowly drifting away. Though two, still held strong toward the north of Dragonford. She only vaguely knew of one, and the other, though name known.. Knew nothing about them. The only part she knew was the boy named Asriel that was part of their claim, and they were among the mountains itself. There wasn't much of an impression otherwise, and didn't encounter them just yet.

But the entire mountain claim wasn't theirs, and at one point another group by the name of Windmere, came and go. Then there was also Event Horizon below, who also, simply disappearance. She hadn't yet investigated them so, but by the beach the scent severely lacked. Eventually she would make her way over, but her mind took her toward the mountains itself. She traveled upwards, taking in any and all scents that were around ; just a general curiosity if someone else was trying to claim its peaks.

As she lifted her head to try and see, she only smelled the familiar scent of Frostchant.. One of their wolves was nearby.

the staff team luvs u
Content Warning
Medic
04-27-2022, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2022, 06:36 PM by Olive. Edited 1 time in total.)
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • mentions of (pre)heat
set a couple days after this thread

Olive was born amongst a family of midwives. She had been formally trained in the art of midwifery for years. In past lives, she brandished both titles of mother and midwife. Therefore, she knew exactly what was happening to her, and on what timeline it would happen. The restlessness and the swelling was indicative that the springtide season had its effect on all creatures; and Olive's experience in such experience told her that soon, it would be upon her as well.

Therefore, it was imperative to get back to Cloudrest, with or without the inkdark titan at her side.

To say she was concerned was an understatement. When an entire pack unanimously evacuated their home, it raised many questioned that Olive desired to actualize the answers to. Perhaps Tiberius felt the same way, when he discovered that Shiroshika had died, or moved — or maybe, he was a part of it. The impetus behind it all, perhaps! Olive bit her lip, her eyebrow visibly knitted and furrowed in consternation as she darted across the landscape as it transitioned from snow and ice, to stone and mountains. She didn't fear him dead; mostly, it was her own ignorance in the happenings of Tiberius's life that bothered her so deeply.

Upon her return to the clouded, shrouded valley, Olive came across a pale-collared woman (a man, she would avoid) traipsing through and mapping the mountains, the sylph knew she could not pass an opportunity to glean more information from a traveler. First, interrogate this vagrant — then, back to Riannon and Frostchant, where the sibilant prophet could beseech her gods in peace, and magnetically draw her knight back to her. Olive ran up to the pale woman, who was (coincidentally also) searching for the packs of yesterday.

Olive could only manage a slight dip of her head before her mouth began to procure words. “Hail!” she said, breathless. As her ribs flared with the attempts to draw in air, she scented the woman, whose brine could not be denied. “May I ask, did you come from the ocean? Did you pass through the frozen wastes?”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Sprite-0005.gif]

duskguard  /  healing    /  lineage
Paladin
04-27-2022, 11:30 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2022, 01:39 AM by Vendrussel. Edited 1 time in total.)
She held the same smell that @Valtyr had, an indication that she was definitely from Frostchant. Though build for someone so tiny — she was relatively shorter then even the average wolf, and looked as if they were an Arctic Wolf. Very light within colors but not an exact pure of white, like the smallest tints of silver upon them with a pretty shade of green upon their gaze — which bled a strange light that Vendrussel wasn't sure to make. Desperation? Courage? Bravery as a warrioress?

She stopped within her tracks and raised her head high, calmly looked upon the other as they rang to her in a halt. She nodded her head, and pointed her snout to the coast, "Though neighbors, it seems we don't know each other well." She never had the chance to see any of their wolves, much less a leader but how little they came out.. Yet Vendrussel also never sought them either. There was other issues of the recent time and overall the unimportantness of so, she so thought. They seemed like quiet wolves.

"I am Vendrussel," the Alpha greeted lightly by dipping her head with a faint smile, and a paw upon her chest with the introduction.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
04-29-2022, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2022, 06:18 PM by Olive. Edited 4 times in total.)
The woman wordlessly answered her question, emoting with a toss of a nose over her thin, raven-shorn shoulder.  Olive had a million other questions on the tip of her tongue, ready to be thrown out the moment she could, but the oceanic dragonness had other intentions for their conversation.

Olive clipped short the internal hum that would have become words,  immediately conceding her own concerns to the one just voiced — she could come back to it, in a moment . It was interesting, Olive had to agree, that for such a seasoned traveler situations that lived in the epicenter of the crowded packlands, many of her neighbors remained essential strangers. Even the packs she knew of, she had neglected to know well, despite her owing so much to them.

"Oh," she chirped in a suddenly engaged curiosity, "I didn't first think of you as being of Northfall," she assumed, falsely believing Ragnar's pack to be the only one on the other side of her home mountain range. But the scent — it smelled nothing like the Stormborn warrior, and he had not smelled particularly of the sea as she did. Olive grimaced.

"If you are not, then perhaps I have proved you right." she dropped into a short curtsy, figuring to introduce herself was the safest option than to assert other inaccurate ideas. "I am Olive, of Frostchant."

the staff team luvs u

Paladin
05-01-2022, 09:32 PM
Vendrussel narrowed her eyes. Though as harmless as the comment was, she found herself mildly irritated as her tail brushed aside, "I am not," a gruff within her voice, "I am from Dragonford." She'd at least think they would know the others neighbors name, but perhaps Frostchant was just that uncaring, or at the very least, secretive. Though she felt some grief against the statement, she tried to internally not let it ruffle her so much.. For it was also on herself, to not formally introduce herself to them. She had to let it brush off her shoulders.

She turned a bit to face within the north, a debate whether to truly mention the strife that was. If they were close enough members that they knew of Northfall, but not herself ; were the not aware of the battles? Especially as the fords name was not mentioned, and by no means did she smell like their mountains. Strange, she so thought, before looking back at Olive.

"You should be aware that my pack isn't on friendly terms with them, and take note that they too, can go for your packs lands." She was unaware of any alliances between Frostchant and Northfall, but wouldn't push past those salt-mountain wolves to try and expand so. Especially with how close the two were ; if he was so dissatisfied with someone claiming and isle, she could only imagine nearby a mountain would be the same result.

Vendrussel was gradually warning others of their greedy deeds, so they too can keep watch.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
05-05-2022, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2022, 06:18 PM by Olive. Edited 3 times in total.)
The woman, Vendrussel, did not take kindly to Olive's assumption (or more like, demonstration of ignorance). The tension in her voice was clear, and she seemed for a moment, to be lost in though. Olive kept her mouth clipped closed, not willing to divulge any other innocent offenses. Olive needed this woman's knowledge, and Vendrussel surely wouldn't share what she knew, if she felt impartial to the asking party.

Honestly, the words that the sea-woman spoke were taken in and regarded honestly; and she did her best to keep any of her surprise from leaking out onto her facial expressions, for this was the first time she had heard of Northfall spoken of in such a way. Until now, she had only known the man Ragnar to be a powerful ally, and a fortuitous friend.

Olive waited until the woman had come to the end of her omen, before she dipped her head and said "My apologies, Vendrussel of Dragonford," as if committing to memory through spoken word. "I do not come seaside often," the pale woman admitted, unwilling to admit the true reason she stayed far away from the open waters: the creatures that lived within were fucking. terrifying.

Olive did not want to misrepresent herself, as a friend to Ragnar and delegate of Frostchant. "Northfall has come to my aid on several occasions," she said, searching the sea dragon for any response to this news, either good or bad. Carefully, she added the question, "Are you contentious over land, only?" to further suss out whether this woman was friend, or foe.

the staff team luvs u

Paladin
05-05-2022, 08:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2022, 06:14 PM by Vendrussel. Edited 1 time in total.)
"Apologies for hostility, it has been.. Tense, for some time." Just as she had done to others, her rage seemed to teeter over at times — as the other apologized so did Vendrussel and dipped her head lightly. She did not like the association, and especially at the occasional accusations that were thrown by. Maybe another time she would've been more aggressive if not for the understanding of her own sins ; but to outsiders, she would fully halt any correlation, or mistakes that any, were innocent.

She didn't respond to the help, mildly flickering her tail with a slight hum ; maybe they could do good. But it was a wonder why they couldn't do the same for Dragonford when had no harm. She was confused, by their actions then anything and tossed such words aside, "I will not deny blood hasn't been spilled, nor' that I am innocent, but by far, the ford had not started the continual harassment and battles as they step to our land." 

Just as she warned others of what occurred, it wouldn't be surprising if Ragnar had done the same. As the other before her seemed more liking to the golden man of the mountain — she wouldn't be surprised, if the other wouldn't take a liking to her. Vendrussel couldn't be friends with everyone, even if the desire was there ; especially if wanted to keep her land.

She couldn't satisfy everyone with her actions but.. She can learn.

But, not even she would know how Olive would react to facing one of her allies enemies. In return, the dragoness took a step back with solemn expression, keeping her pride up with a due respectfulness to the other. She, did not harm Dragonford, and would not face any fury.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-11-2022, 01:03 AM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2022, 06:37 PM by Olive. Edited 1 time in total.)
It fascinated her to know that there was such drama happening across the ice, and it made Olive wonder why she had heard nothing of this from Ragnar, or Riannon (if she were the one who truly helmed this alliance), but Olive was glad she had heard of it all the same. As she listened to Vendrussel speak fairly and bluntly, Olive still kept in mind that this was certainly only half of a very complicated story, and that Vendrussel owed the Frostchant woman nothing — in fact, they might even be enemies, if her words of war were to be believed.

Olive nodded, unsure how she was best of use her. "I assume you have your reasons for holding your grounds, and not yielding to an oppressive force," Olive had never before felt a tie to any land that would entice her to war over it; she had never felt such ego, either. However, she was not blind to the reality that wolves needed packs, and packs needed land, and land was a finite resource. They had their reasons, which were good enough to sacrifice love and life over. "Perhaps something can be worked out between these Dragonford and Northfall, in the name of diplomacy?" the pale woman intoned curiously, positing what might be a superfluous question. Perhaps fangs were succeeding where diplomacy had already failed — but it did not mean that terms could not be revisited, it it befitted both sides.

Solemnly, Olive blinked and turned a cheek to a wind that begun to blow. "The north has seen enough bloodshed." she stated, knowing that this was why it was her duty to get involved in this matter; it involved innocents. The Northern coastline was a harsh lands, she had learned during her brief stint in captivity, and harsh conditions bred tyrants, like the walrus king. Turning back towards Vendrussel, the woman's green eyes brightened as she recalled her original reason for approaching this cloaked stranger. "Speaking of which, perhaps you know information I seek..." She cut a keen glance towards Vendrussel, who seemed like an astute woman herself. Olive didn't expect such information to come freely.

"Know you anything of the disappearance of the pack Shiroshika, or have you come across a man with a black pelt, named Tiberius?"

the staff team luvs u

Paladin
05-17-2022, 06:14 PM
"I'm always listening to others suggestions." She wasn't the first, nor' would be the last to say something about the matter. She would listen though ; but also didn't enjoy the accusations of all of it being thrown at her. She thought by the point, it was enough she had accepted some of the flaw of the matter — but wasn't the whole of it all. Nor', was she the start of this entire brawl of wars. It couldn't be denied she boiled when it came too, and hot-headed through her head.

She tried to contain it though, but sometimes that anger spilled over.

"Tiberius?" she gazed back to the coast, "he passed by my ford some time ago. Looking for a tiger. I believe he then went further north." A name she was not expecting to come up within the conversation, but took the change of flow with an ease ; not desiring to go back and fill more dread within her heart. Her rather disarrayed look was replaced with a more calming smile, for a friend of a friend was another of her own. Though she would say they were more acquaintances then anything, simply coming across every so often ; blooming, to that level of friendship.

Her ears twitched lightly, "Though Shiroshika.." long ago did she hear that name from @Antares, but since then, nothing, "I apologize, I know nothing of them besides general location."

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-19-2022, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2022, 06:38 PM by Olive. Edited 3 times in total.)
Oh! So, she did know Tiberius, and his whereabouts — Olive was mildly surprised at this, but appreciative that she received an answer to her question all the same. "Oh, truly?" she chirped, leaning forward and canting her head to take in Vendrussel's explanation of her lover's action. Olive pursed her lips, letting the information soak into her mind. "How interesting, I wonder why... alas, my curiosity will have to wait to satiated," she said with a smile, masking how deeply she desired to know how and why the emptiness of Tsukiishi and Tiberius's search for Kuhn were related.

Olive felt indebted to the woman now; more, she recognized how the Gods had put such a auspicious stranger in her path, and she sought recompense. "Let me repay your information with a bit of my own," the seraph suggested with a demure roll of the shoulder, and flick of the tail. Her ivy-wrapped gaze flicked off in the direction she knew to be North, then she leaned in towards the collared seawoman once more. "Shiroshika, a pack that I considered strong and virile, had suddenly vacated their packlands — the mountain, to the Northeast." Vendrussel said she had known where the pack was located, but that information was now defunct.

Olive then sat back on her haunches, preparing to explain the part why this sudden change deserved its rightful attention; perhaps it was the harbinger of a future duress."I don't know why, whether it be a result of threat, or perhaps the strange weather, or disease..." Olive offered the other woman a grimace, as she was a pack wolf — she knew better than anyone what risk these things were to one's closest family and friends. "Remain aware, and ready. My best sense is to advise you to work to negate threats that already loom on your doorstep — for there might be something far larger at play." Olive sighed, knowing that the aforementioned advice and her subsequent diplomatic offer were entirely unsolicited. Still, she offered it anyways, wondering what @Ragnar might make of Vendrussel's barbed claims—

"To this end, mayhaps I return in several weeks time, to assist in brokering a peace, or at least an armistice, between the wolves of Dragonford and Northfall?"

the staff team luvs u

Paladin
05-21-2022, 06:42 AM
"I hope you find him." Vendrussel said with an honesty, not knowing their relation. It was the first time she met someone that knew another wolf she knew, and was interested in what relationship they may have. Especially as the other, graceful in the way she spoke and walked, the pinnacle, of what a lady would be. She fair in beauty, dressed in the simple lights of near-white, and colored with greens of world itself. Mused slightly, if Tiberius had gained a lover.

He looked like someone that would have a few chasing him.

"I see.. Thank you." She thought silently in a wonder — the warning of what may or may not be trouble eventually. A pack that suddenly moved? Usually that would mean some sort of trouble laid bare, rather then an illness itself. If no bodies were laid to the masses, then she wondered if there was something else in the tundra that should be a wariness. The north was troublesome after all, time and time again has it proven it was not a safe place ; and she, continually being drawn to it.

Then her thoughts were drawn back to the talk of Northfall. Her tail flickered, "Valeska from Elsyium, within the east, had mentioned something similar, on wanting to stop this feud. I will not deny I have committed deeds that may not be forgiven," if the other truly wanted to reconcile this mess, Vendrussel could only be honest, "drawn out from constant harassment, but not an excuse. All I ask is, to be left alone by them," steady in gaze, "you can attempt, if you so desire."

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-29-2022, 05:37 PM
Vendrussel did not seem to be withholding any pertinent information, as far as Olive could see — and Olive did her best to see, watching the water witch's face emote as she spoke, and looking at the light as it flickered in her bright eyes. The shaman was generally good at reading auras, and she could connote that Vendrussel was not a bad woman; simply a wolf in a leadership position, caught between scylla and charybdis. Hoping to ease her anxieties of the many threats that loomed both near and far, Olive took a step closer, then bobbed her head in a wordless inquiry of consent. If she was allowed, Olive would touch her black-button nose to the crest of Vendrussel's shoulder.

Pulling back to afford a microscopic amount of space between their flesh, Olive spoke closely and honestly, hoping to return the trust that the Queen seemed to put in her. "Though I am friends with Ragnar, I have the mental wherewithal to remain impartial. The way I see it, all factions win when war is avoided," Olive smiled the most sheepish of smiles, appreciating the woman and she quickly she had gone from complete stranger to one with whom she had quite the intimate relationship, as far as it related to vulnerability, receiving help, and a special, quiet power. "My personal vestiture is for the North to be a place of peace. My duty, though, is to the Gods and the pursuit of truth." Olive glanced up, then back to Vendrussel, and wagged her tail to signify hope.

"It matters little what has already transgressed. I am certain there is some form of an understanding we can all find, as the packs of that all live in the Northern reaches. " It wasn't that the past didn't matter — only there was no way to change it. The best place to focus their energy was the future. "and if not, then at the very least we can all move forward with far more clarity."

the staff team luvs u

Paladin
06-06-2022, 05:47 AM
"No one is innocent on this matter, though I will admit firstly, that I had taken too far. But that does not mean my Ford is guilty." As the other wanted to help, like many others, Vendrussel could not hide such information — nor' was she trying to. Who could say upfront that they had slain the enemy of herself, but the friend of another? Stead-fast in her gaze, she opened her mouth for a moment, pausing, and taking a deep breath, "she was a yearling or so, seemed upset over Ragnar not delivering we were to leave each other alone — and attacked me upon our hunting grounds. In my homeland, a fight is of honor, and means you are willing to risk your own. In that thought, she died."

"I take the blame for so, with the learning of others.. That what I did was wrong, and only time, and prayer, could make it up. However, I will not take the blame to what resorted it's end, and Ragnar's greed of the land with his inability to lead." She spoke as if but a simple conversation could be given, and she, the Alpha of the Dragonford, gave a strained file. An explanation that neither sides would easily lay down — for Vendrussel would never relish her land to them, nor' admit defeat in this war. However, she neither can blame them no more for what she had committed.

In another life to be praised, but in this one, she had to be far more careful. The looks others gave upon her, was a lot to bare. Not what she was used to — the words and the whispers, those who left for those same actions. How could she stand still and continue defending her kill, like so? Even she wasn't as hardened by her clan life.

The best to do, was to learn and grow. Move forward in life, to not repeat such a mistakes. Open, to discontinue this brawl so her wolves of the ford could be safe. Yet the only way, was to give her own head — and she, was unwilling.

"I pray you may help, and yet that is a near impossible feat. They wouldn't leave us alone even when we were living in the sea, never coming to their mountain, and even their children — including she, came to the isle. But after what happened? Vengeance will enact, and I must protect to those who believe in me, alongside myself."

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
06-20-2022, 02:57 PM
Olive couldn’t say that this Dragonford woman was as awful as she would eventually come to hear. In fact, the waif reasoned, she was actually somewhat likable, though Olive didn’t know if that was the truth or her oncoming season talking. She seemed honest, speaking of wanted to protect her pack members, so that they wouldn’t pay the price for her wrong-doing. Accidents and misunderstanding did happen quite often, but that didn’t mean the fires of hell had to erupt, and that they all had to succumb to the slowly creeping lava. Balance and retribution were important, as Vendrussel seemed to understand, but Olive had to agree that the potential blow-back seemed way out of proportion.

Even though the fallen was someone’s child.
— but wasn’t everyone someone’s child?
& what made one child more valuable than the other?

Olive had more questions, but there was no possible way for her to know everything that happened & to be the arbiter of a verdict. The only souls that knew the truth were Vendrussel and the slain one, and Olive knew the minds of wolves far too well to think that Vendrussel spoke the truth, and nothing but the truth. She would report things as she saw it, and vouch for the future she wanted — it was the product of having an ego, and needing to make decisions that helps one thrive in such a competitive, biological world. The sylph suspected Ragnar would do the same, which is why it made an unbiased jury all that more essential.

Olive nodded her head lowly.
“I agree, that is not how the weight of a leader’s responsibility is supposed to be carried,” she said, referencing how Vendrussel was mostly eager to protect her followers from the fall-out. It was all valid and very understandable, but her stomach churned at the thought of it. She must talk to this Valeska. She must talk to @Ragnar, and hear his part in all of this. For now, there was nothing more to reasonably discuss.

“Pardon, I must depart, dear Vendrussel,” she said, somewhat abruptly considering the conversation — but not too abrupt, when one considered the lateness of the day, and the fact that Olive greatly desire to get back and settle into the safety of Cloudrest. For a moment, such a desire made her overly-empathize with the sea-witch, and Olive couldn’t imagine the fear if the sanctity of her home was vanquished, and the threat of war held over her head. Olive could go home, and rest, and pass her season with relatively no interruptions. Vendrussel had no such possibility.

Olive wagged her tail, eyes brimming with sudden empathy.
“But you have helped me, and hopefully I can help you.” This is what the Gods would want her to do, otherwise, they would not have put Vendrussel in her path. Olive smiled wistfully, walking away a few steps, dipping her head as an acknowledgment of her own departure.  “Until we meet again~”

the staff team luvs u

06-29-2022, 10:33 PM
"Although my head might be the price they ask," her gaze drifted toward the sea, thinking of her homeland. The honor that came to risking one self in a fight and what they believed in ; yet the same path still delved her to this. She thought to live in pride and honor, but she was still a child. Just arrived to the land as a fresh two year old, it almost seemed she never graduated, and gained the title of 'Alpha.' But why did the ancients guide her so, if not for that and more?

"I will not give it without a fight." She looked at Olive, raising her head as so, the small sympathetic smile. Although knew what she had done was not the honor she so sought ; neither were the Stormborns of the mountains. One's who would fight for their lineage, and just as she would as well, for her own life. Just as she was raised to be, and if she were to perish, she would be within the honor of the dragons.

"The Ancients led me, just as I graduated from being a yearling.. And so I continue. And I hope that they too, lighten your path away from any chaos." She knew not what Gods that Olive prayed to or cared about, but Vendrussel hoped like any they would grant a might. They were grand beings, knew not whether they were deities or Gods and only beings that her people once worshipped dearly too.

She could only hope they would cater her soul to the next life if she were to perish.

With so, Vendrussel too turned away and headed back to the coast.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top