Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
And I'm far from any danger,

AW
Adventurer
04-22-2022, 07:02 PM
There was a set of mountains within the distance — beyond a land of what seemed to be a fog. It felt ominous, and so she avoided it for the sake of her own safety. It'd be a fools game for a wolf to disappear there, especially as she knew no one, so if a few days passed.. No one would come for her. It was a general consensus to not enter the places that you cannot see.

Beyond so saw a mountain set — the only one that seemed to be within the arctic zone and she approached with a curiosity. It seemed unlike a general scope ; as well as the faint smell of wolves who were once within the area. Abandoned though, where Rin felt confident enough to step into the land be greeted by the crevices of this mountain itself, where small haven-like areas were between it all. 

She noted the birds, peacefully upon the edge — the trees easily surviving so. How peculiar but fascinating, and she strolled about on the inside.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
Ecologist
04-22-2022, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2022, 06:19 PM by Olive. Edited 1 time in total.)
Olive wasted no time in following @Eira 's advice.

She combed the areas directly surrounding Cloudrest with the care of a soul that had a lifetime to lose; followed her nose at every trail, sniffed at every possible scent marking, but her search returned nothing more than she suspected. If @Tiberius was drifting about in lands this close, why wouldn't he come directly to her?

So Olive followed her nose, and she drifted onwards., and her radius widened

The woman walked, and she didn't stop. Her paws followed her intuition and thrust her entire body northwards in pursuit of the scent she never, ever found. Olive walked for days, knowing she would not be able to feel calm or safe until she knew what occupied the shadowed titan's days, and how she might be able to assist him. She couldn't ask @benry to come; she didn't think he even would. All she knew was that the answer lay at the feet of Shiroshika, and all she must do was arrive, then all her anxieties would be quelled —

The mountain was abandoned. The scent of Tiberius, nonexistent. Olive rushed forward, mouth agape, thanking the Gods that there was another soul here who might be able to answer her many burning questions (or, at least one she could project all her worries onto). Sniffing wildly at the air, the pale sylph demanded questioned in a voice brimming with concern,

"What happened to them?"

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Sprite-0005.gif]

duskguard  /  healing    /  lineage
Adventurer
04-22-2022, 07:30 PM
^^ There had been a pack here once. Agrona could very vividly recall being harassed by two wolves that one time. Now, those scents were faded, on the brink of being forgotten, replaced by a few lone scents.

Still canine and not one she knew, though she knew many canine scents these days. The tip of her tail flickered as her toes clutched the snow as she pushed forward and followed the voice, and which wasn't all that hard to do.

“Perhaps someone ate them.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-22-2022, 07:44 PM
Oh.

This was new.

Her gaze moved over toward a light wolf. She smelled like a pack, but not the one that seemed to be here at one point ; one that Rin didn't know period. At the very least that was a good sign, that the place was more populated by wolves then originally thought. It seemed like the Tundra itself was a bit empty, or her luck wasn't that well within these past few days. Her first encounter was by a devil itself, quiet and rude, and someone she hoped would not see again, or at the very least anyone similar to so.

"I don't know." By the time Rin came to this realm — the pack was gone. No indication who they were or how long it been, only that she knew someone had once claimed these peaks. Though was this woman that someone that knew this pack? She seemed worried, or at the very least in a hurry on the matter.

.. Oh, but a tiger joined the fray. 

Though still in face, she quietly turned to one who not only spoke wolf, but approached them with an ease, without a hunting technique that her knowledge knew, tigers tended to against lesser beings. She knew already how strange this realm was, but maybe.. She was dead.

Non non, she felt very much alive.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
Paladin
04-22-2022, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2022, 06:21 PM by Olive. Edited 4 times in total.)
The woman had a quiet calmness about her, which drastically opposed the seizing and wrenching that existed in Olive's gut. She uttered the three words that were least helpful to her endeavors, and Olive had to forcibly swallow the frustrated groan that rose in her throat. She drifted forward several ghost-like steps, and realizing no answers lay to the winds, she took her nose to the earth and prepared to walk on,

but a tiger approach and stood directly in her way. Another tiger. That made three tigers, all living in the tundra.

The pale seraph lifted her head, immediately on the defensive at such a hideous assertion. "Why would you say that?" she quipped accusingly, giving the massive feline the benefit of the doubt, but not appreciating her sense of humor. Wasn't it clear that this was heart and entire fucking soul on the line, here?

Not about to leave any stone unturned, Olive turned her attention fully towards the tiger (maybe she was telling the truth) and questioned fervently, sticking her probing nose outwards "What do you know?"

the staff team luvs u

04-22-2022, 09:12 PM
^^Well, well, this was certainly not what Agrona had been expecting. Though she really hadn't known what to expect. Wolves were wolves, after all; greedy, little, entitled creatures.

The little one turned to her with such odd questions, her tone laced with an emotion that Agrona couldn't quite place. Her ears flickered, whiskers twitching.

“Is that not the circle of life?” The tiger murmured, shrugging, though ultimately shaking her head.

“But I regret to inform you that I have no knowledge that would be of use to yous, if you wish to locate them. Nor do I wish to find them. In fact, I'm glad they're gone. ”

They had been quite rude to her, after all.

“I've just come to explore the mountain..”
^^
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-22-2022, 09:25 PM
It felt like she was in the midst of two enemies ; one who was on the search for something, and the other that was rubbing the salt against the wound. It wasn't unusual to think there would be an aggression to opposing predators, but it was still surprising that they could even be speaking, something that she felt was.. Unusual, even with the blank within memories. Knowledge was there, but not who she was. At least, Rin could be thankful for that.

"It seemed like they moved." In the midst of a tension, she voiced so. Her gaze drifting to around and lifted her nose within the air.. There wasn't like a mixture of unusual scents, akin to something like a war, and she couldn't see anywhere of any more fruits of fighting. Maybe this would ease the wolf, who looked to be desperately searching in the midst of this unknown pack. Rin wouldn't say though, that any evidence of what may have happened, could've been erased. That was also a thought.

A small look toward the tigress as well — she was unusual, even her colors were against the normal.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-27-2022, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2022, 06:22 PM by Olive. Edited 1 time in total.)
The tiger, all shining alabaster and charcoal stripes, revealed the cards which she played so deftly; that she had no idea what happened to Shiroshika, though she was glad to see them gone. Olive narrowed her eyes at the mountain that lay before them, and she released a distinct snort of air and stamped her foot at how little she cared for why the tiger was here. Could no one offer her anything of use?

Thankfully, the woman of grayscale elegance put forth a guess that put Olive's mind into a disquieted sense of ease. Olive quieted down. The grit of her jaw loosened. “Moved is far more preferable to eaten,” she quipped truthfully, cutting her attention back to the tigress, before finally relenting and totting around in a half-circle to afford the entire group space to interface.

“They weren’t the sweetest or more welcoming of packs,” she said, glancing between them, remembering how Reiko hadn't even let her inside though she had brought them a love spell gift, and clearly had Tiberius's favor. “My concern is only for one,” she mused quietly, lifting her ivy-wrapped attention towards the sky, wondering if she should howl or just — let it be.

the staff team luvs u

04-28-2022, 12:41 AM
^^The ebony tiger was silent for a time, watching the two of them with the tilt of her head. One, thankfully, provided answers - Agrona paused to glance into her direction, ears flickering as Olive snorted into the air and stomped her foot down like an angry child.

The tip of her tail flickered and she listened softly, to what the angry child had to say, more than a little shocked to hear her agree with the sentiment of the pack. She was not after them, the tiger realized, but only one of them. A child? Her eyes lingered on the wolf, noting the lack of swollen teats and the lack of smell of milk -

Could be an older child, but what excuse would a mother have to leave her child? She did not seem overly emotional for it to be a child, Agrona reasoned. She could have let out a roar, but wolves and tigers didn’t mix, and her calling wouldn’t bring any answers.

“How can I help?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-28-2022, 02:04 AM
The wolf seemed kind, at the very least. She showed distaste for the group and mentioned how unkind they were, but did not wish anything to befall them. A gray gaze went around.. Unfortunately even if she memorized the scent, if they moved it wouldn't be the same, "what was their name?" for Rin, knowledge was important. Those to avoid and those not to, so she would take a mental note of a name of a pack she should not come across, for their unkind nature may be passed by.

Slowly did it drift to the tiger — who was a bit brash but settled down and offered a lending paw. What was the word.. She was.. Chaud et froid? Something like so, with a fiery beginning but then a softer core within. Slightly, Rin's perception of the tigress was changing lightly as drifting back to the seeker, "What do they look like?"

But when she sniffed the air.. Rin doubted anyone else was near, and their searching within these strange mountains would be in vain. At the very least, she could ask for a description and if find the other, leave with words someone was searching. She wasn't realizing she was asking so many questions, as her curiosity was a bit too ambient.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
Ecologist
04-29-2022, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2022, 06:23 PM by Olive. Edited 3 times in total.)
Olive's surprise over Shiroshika's disappearance was dulled by the gratitude that coalesced within her for the two light-coated women, as they began to take her concerns more seriously and asked a series of useful, intentional questions. Olive was more than happy to answer them — and she she began to verbalize the roadblock she was encountering, she simultaneously was able to work through it in her own consciousness. There was nothing like a circle of women to discuss one's problems, was there?

She glanced at the both of them, ensuring she had their rapt attention, before continuing. "His name is Tiberius, — he's cloaked in black with silver here," the woman lifted a forepaw to denote the titan's silvered toes, "and here..." and with that paw, she drew a diminutive mine across her brow and down her jaw bone. Olive huffed a shallow breath, for in the process of describing him she had realized how silly it was that she, a delicate woman only at the tail-end of her healing journey, would be searching out the likes of him, a ursine-like man whose large personality and lofty aspirations threatened to blot out the sun itself. What could she do for him, that he wasn't already doing?

In all honesty, she'd probably slow him down.

Olive nodded her head at the two, as if that thought process had occurred in dialogue, not internal monologue. To more accurately answer their inquiries, she described from a picture in her mind, as clear as day. "He's a very large, very capable man. I believe he can handle himself well... " she distinctly summarized for them. "If you see him, tell him Olive was looking for him." Then, the waif took a step forward, trying to assume a more open and friendly demeanor; something that had been largely unaccomplished by her, up to this point. "I appreciate the you both for hearing out my plea," she said with a swish of her tail, pawing absent-mindedly at the earth.

"I am Olive Shakti-Seabreeze-Singing-Sunlight," she offered, extending out a verbal olive-branch towards them both. "Who are you?

the staff team luvs u

04-30-2022, 03:06 PM
^^So the missing gaggle of wolves were not known for their kindness; towards Agrona, she could understand being wary, but Olive was one of their own kind. She took this information with the nod of her head, allowing her attention to befall the silver one of the two for a moment as she, too, asked her questions. “Does this not friendly pack have a name? I'd like to know who to avoid.”

The other woman sniffed at the air, and Agrona would too, unsure what she was looking for, though listening and watching as Olive went on to describe that she was looking for a black-silvery gent named Tiberius, and Agrona wondered if he had been the same black wolf that had confronted her months before.

“What does this Tiberius smell like?” Agrona asked softly, hoping that she didn’t come off too predatory, but there could be other wolves that looked like him, but scent was unique to the individual.

“Does he know where to find you?” No point in telling Tiberius that Olive was looking for him if he didn’t know where to find her, but she gathered that if Olive was this distraught, he would know where to find her.

Olive was introduced as Olive longlastname, and Agrona would smile with the dip of her head. “I would hope that if I was ever in need, someone would help me, too.” Agrona said softly, even if they weren’t of the same species, that didn’t mean they had to be enemies.

“I am Agrona. If I have a second name, I do not recall it. Lovely to meet you. I’m sorry if I had offended you earlier. Twas not my intention.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-04-2022, 08:29 PM
Rin looked over at the tigress, a mutual thought of desiring to know who they were. She didn't know anything, not the wolves of the region, not the packs.. The tundra itself seemed rather voided since the removal of whoever was around, but maybe that was a good thing, considering what Olive said. She didn't wish for trouble, especially as it came to but just general survival. Eventually — she too would need to seek out a pack. Being a loner only has so many advantages, but there was no safety in so.

Unfortunately she didn't know who Tiberius was, but took a mental note. A man of black and whites, and a woman, assumingly his mate or sibling, was looking for him. But it was pretty strange for someone who smelled like another pack, to be looking for another on a different land. Separation between packs..?

Lots to acknowledge but not the heart to ask for the other seemed more desperate to find him so, "I am Rin," is all she said. A generally, quiet wolf.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
Ecologist
05-08-2022, 02:10 AM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2022, 06:24 PM by Olive. Edited 1 time in total.)
Suddenly, her cohorts were intensely curious and asked after details that Olive was more than happy to provide. "They were called Shiroshika," the pale woman shared, thinking momentarily to the only other time she had come to this mountain. Their presence had such gravity; it was eerie to experience the mountain in its barest form. In response to Agrona's other question, Olive shifted backwards a step.

"He smells like them," she said, with a toss of her head — could cats smell as well as wolves could? Between she and Benry, usually it was her nose that they relied upon. Either way, even though the scent of the pack was faint, it was at least perceptible to the canid nose. "and a little bit like me," she couldn't help but admit with a sheepish smile, feeling an inward sense of pride at this. "but mostly like the tundra; stone and snow."

When Agrona offered advice about what to possibly do nest (go where he knew to find her), it was well received by Olive — this confirmed what she had been thinking, as well. "Well, yes, he does..." she muttered, thinking about how there was a super small possibility that Tiberius was at Cloudrest now, all the while she was here. "Now that he's not here, I know exactly where I need to go." the sylph affirmed with a nod towards the tiger, growing more appreciative of her by the moment.

Ivy eyes glancing to the demure Rin, Olive offered her bits of the conversation."I am known to reside in the mountains just southwest, in a place called Cloudrest" she said, the elevation of the mountain helping her to clearly see the footpath she had take towards the summit, even with only a glance over the shoulder. "but Tiberius, he is a man of the tundra." Olive smiled, as if they knew him. "It makes me wonder what this means for the future." Certainly, the disappearance of Shiroshika meant something, but Olive couldn't imagine what changes this discovery might herald.

Olive wagged her tail, as Agrona grasped onto her olive branch and offered out her own in apology. "The fault lies with me, as well—" the woman said, breaking off as she remembered something, and the thought easily overtook her. "Did either of you happen to see that strange storm, several weeks ago?"

the staff team luvs u

scroll to top