Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
You are the star embroidered with love.

Sunrise Sunny/Clear
P
Ecologist
04-13-2022, 06:57 PM
With his supply of antibiotic running low, Quicksilver was forced once more into the lowlands to try and forage. With Spring so fresh to the lands, he figured most plants that could provide such properties wouldn't have sprouted so soon. Still, he hoped for some young goldenseal or oregano, and descended Vanderfell's summit to begin his search of the the pack's hunting grounds.

There'd been much on his mind in recent days, with the distance between @Reiko and himself at the forefront. Quicksilver was still deeply hurt by her secret arrangement with Ira that they wed, and that she'd so recklessly offered to hand over their firstborn child without any consideration for how that might make him feel. His avoidance of her was warranted, he felt, while he tried to reign in his emotions - but he did not want to bury his head in the sand forever.

The druid pressed on along a familiar route with a wearied sigh, gaze searching for the distinct leaves of the plants he sought.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Untitled_Artwork.png]
04-13-2022, 07:18 PM
It hadn’t been long after Tiberius’ last visit and Reiko was still on edge. Furious at his accusations and lack of care for the individuals he had sworn to protect, and yet sided with Kuhn who had been nothing but unreasonable and monstrous at every turn. Traitors, that was what he and Vera were. Cut from the same cloth and never again would she trust their types to join their ranks.

Not wanting to be seen in this state, the woman quickly wandered off down the cliff side and into a quieter side of Ira’s claim. Away from prying eyes to ask what had occurred between she and Tiberius - not wanting to answer them just yet with her temper beyond control at this very moment.

This was not her, she kept repeating. Perhaps there was some truth to Tiberius’ words but not in the sense he believed. Not that he had ever tried to see her side of things either from the very beginning. What she saw in the reflection of the pool of water was someone else as she sat near the river’s edge where water stood almost still enough to see the fractured reflection of herself. What she saw was bitterness, anger, hurt, and fear. It was cold and sharp like ice, no longer the fun, light, snow she once was. 

Off to her peripherals someone had come here after all… Quicksilver of all. Though she yearned for closeness, she also could not take another fight and chose to lower herself to the ground in an attempt to hide from his sight.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
Ecologist
04-13-2022, 08:01 PM
The druid paused, nosed among greenery with flared nostrils. No distinct scent of oregano or wild garlic was detected, so he swept his eyes over the foliage with one last lingering look before he rose his muzzle to carry on along his chosen path.

A pallid form caught him by surprise and he blinked, quick to recognise Reiko's lithe figure. She caught sight of him too, but was clearly affected by his proximity. Quicksilver wilted to see how she lowered herself to the ground. She'd made choices for him without his consent - so why was it that she seemed to play victim?

He inhaled a slow breath, and chose to embrace the discomfort. Ignoring the difficulties between them would solve nothing. Quicksilver moved carefully toward her with a lowered tail and splayed ears, stopping a distance away as not to overwhelm her further. “Hey,” he said simply, awkwardly, and offered a sad smile.

the staff team luvs u
04-13-2022, 08:14 PM
Regardless of her avoidance, he came. Seating not too far away from where she had tried to hide and broke the silence with an awkward greeting. The first in days.

In the moment she did not move, did not respond. At every turn she opened her mouth, it seemed the world would just crumble away a little more than the day before. Every remedy was another wound. With every new friend was another foe. 

Starting with a heavy sigh, there was only one thing she could think of that could avoid any other arguments. Turning to meet his own sad gaze, she faked the best smile she could. Considering he caught her trying to hide, there was little else she could do than to ignore it and try to be pleasant.

“Do you need help finding something?” Despite the underlying overall fatigue, she’d try to keep her tone light. The last ditch effort to avoid any other confrontations if she could.

the staff team luvs u
04-13-2022, 08:56 PM
Reiko did not move to place further distance between them, nor did she attempt to close it. Quicksilver rooted himself there despite his own pain and frustration, keen to maintain some quiet strength - even if "strong" was the last thing he felt.

For days he'd wondered what he meant to her. He wanted to question what she expected their marriage to be, if she'd outgrown the love he thought they'd come to share. Quicksilver felt his mouth dry as the snowflower sought his stare and sagged visibly at her words. Something about her question seemed so dismissive - he translated it into "you can carry on now", and he very nearly tucked his tail and did just that.

He swallowed.

“What did-” Quicksilver started to ask of her, then hesitated. Nervously, he licked a canine, “I don't understand, Reiko.”

What happened to us?

the staff team luvs u
04-13-2022, 09:14 PM
He wilted as she did. Uncertainty clouded her thoughts through fear of another argument breaking out between herself and another she continuously failed to please. 

Was it possible he would just be happy to forget about her after all? That this, whatever they were trying to do was simply not worth all the heartache he seemed to continuously go through?

Please don’t do this, she screamed internally.

If she could melt into the water and vanish without hurting anyone else, she would have at this moment. Disappear into the Nethers and float away never to be bothered again by this existence that brought nothing but aches.

“Me neither.” Don’t break. Don’t cry, no more of that.

“Please, just tell me what you need?” Anything. She wished for him to stop making her guess. For everyone to stop expecting so much of her to be perfect when she ignored theirs. “I cannot fight again. I simply… cannot. Please.”

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-14-2022, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 01:51 PM by Quicksilver. Edited 1 time in total.)
I cannot fight again, she told him, and his brow furrowed with confusion. Quicksilver's ears pricked forward in surprise at such a comment from her, for although he'd been frustrated to learn of what she'd arranged for him, he hadn't fought with her! He hadn't entirely agreed with Reiko's promise to Ira, but he'd told her he'd do it.

Why, then, did she plead with him not to argue?

“I just need you,” the druid answered softly and calmly, despite the frantic thrum of his tender heart, “all I ever needed was you.”

He settled to his haunches before the Empress, curled his alabaster-dipped tail about his rear. “You told me you made a contract to marry me, to give you children that you'd promised to someone else. Did you honestly expect me to be okay with that?”

It hardly sounded like happily ever after, did it?

“I love you, Reiko. But if we are going to be together, I need to be part of your decisions.”

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-14-2022, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2022, 09:59 PM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
All he needed was her, but did he deserve what she had become? This mess that she no longer even recognize in the rivers that reflected back this thing she became?

“How can you be a part of the decisions when you are so far away?” She had to make a decision. There was no waiting as time was ticking. Kuhn was injured and a move had to be done swiftly; even if it still didn’t have the permanent outcome they had desired. “We needed Vanderfell’s aid, and I had to offer something. That was all I had; myself and my children. We had no time to wait. I understand your anger, yet it seems you believe there was some other solution I could have come up with.”

Did he not understand the circumstances? Tiberius had not. Even their guard who had been with them for so long refused to see the circumstances she had been given. The options to pick from. Everyone seemed to get furious but offer no other options that she could have picked from should the situation, gods forbid, arise once more.

“And if there is, I have yet to hear it. From anyone. The only one to discuss things thus far for any solution is Ira.” Everyone else just seemed to become furious and turn their backs. No matter if she was honest or withheld details. At any time it always seemed like the cards were stacked against them.

“You wanted to remain with Ira's young... I understood that, but I still had to make decisions on my own for the sake of the wolves who sought protection within my walls in a given timespan. I still do not see any other option I had.” She nearly pleaded for Quicksilver to tell her there were other options she simply did not see due to the desperation of the moment.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-14-2022, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 01:50 PM by Quicksilver. Edited 2 times in total.)
“I was as far away as Ira was,” he told the dove, for it was true! He'd lived beneath her rule, on her mountain, committed to serving her pack as medic. Winter and the tender age of his young charges had kept him from travelling to Tsukiishi to reacquaint with her, for he feared the weather would prevent his return to Vanderfell. “If you could ask for her ear, you could just as easily have requested mine.”

Quicksilver was not involved in pack politics, nor did he particularly want to be. He had known very little about the keepers of the Everfrost until Ira gathered her fighters to travel Northward. For him, an alliance could be simple: should one provide aid to the other, it was to be expected in return. Promising babies in exchange for soldiers was something he could never be comfortable with.

He deserved to have a say in the future of his children, however, just as he held the right to consent to marriage he did not propose. He thought back to when last they'd been together on Vanderfell's slopes, back when he'd found her in this very river by which they sat, and how she'd promised to be gentle with his fragile heart.

“You told me you would not force anything between us,” he reminded her gently, but you have done just that.

He inhaled shakily, and lifted his chin. “Shiroshika is important to you and I understand that, ” Quicksilver felt emotion pull st his words, “but there is nothing in this world that means more to me than you. You, and our... and the family I want to build with you.” The threat of tears pricked behind his eyes; he blinked it away. What if they were to whelp only one son or daughter? Would she change her mind? Would they go to war with Vanderfell for having failed to hold up their end of the bargain? There was so much more to it all than Reiko had considered!

His breath caught in his throat, a dry sob.

“I'd die before giving my child to anyone.”

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-14-2022, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2022, 09:59 PM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
“Ira requested to talk to me to clarify things in regards to the tiger after I sent her a message in regard of them. Not the other way around. She came to our borders to speak. You could have come too.” After all, it was a two way street when it came to communication. To participate. She didn’t know how that conversation would go, how far it would be taken until it happened. 

She was tired of every finger being pointed her way. That she could have done this or that but there was always the same options given in return. Surely he had known of Ira’s visit, he could have asked what for and requested to join. 

Though his words and heart were in the right place, and perhaps she was still tender from the argument she had with Tiberius - Quicksilver’s declarations didn’t feel right in the moment. After all, she joined the hunt for Kuhn as opposed to sending the bodies off. There was no stoping Hotaru in joining, no arguing with the young woman who was already mad at her mother other than for Reiko to ensure that she would take most of the tiger’s rage if she could.

“You speak as if this was not a difficult decision for me. I still do not have an answer as to what else I could have offered Ira. Hotaru is my only child as Haruki is gone once more, to prepare a newborn over her who had already gone through so much - seemed like the best choice at the time, and still to this day. Ira is no cruel woman, I would not have done the same were it anyone else. I chose you as the one I wished to create that life with and she refused a child in favour for us instead, and the choice was yours to take it or no. I still do not force anything onto you.” It felt as though she were repeating herself one more time. Into the winds just to be misunderstood once more or cast as some villainous wench who did as she pleased.

“I told you when I did believing it was best to be told now than later. Before you heard it from Ira instead. Before you believed I held secrets from you. I do not wish for children from any other man than you, but something had to be offered… and that is what I did.”

“I am sorry. I am sorry that you were thrust into this against your wishes. Yet I still cannot see anything else I could have done other than had gone to Kuhn without Vanderfell’s aid; or continue to allow him to torment us. I had to pick the lesser of the evils, and that is what I believe I did.”

Turning to face the druid, cerulean eyes wide and pleading. 

“Tell me, what would you have done? Seeing the pain, fear and rage in Gyrfalcon's eyes as she returned begging for something to be done about Kuhn. Hearing Sachiko's news that he was weak, knowing it was now or never and time was now your enemy. The only hand extended to you with an offer to help requesting something precious in return? Ira reminding you that we must move fast. What would you have done in my stead?”

the staff team luvs u
04-14-2022, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2022, 09:02 PM by Quicksilver. Edited 1 time in total.)
“I was not to know of your problem in the Everfrost until Ira had rallied her fighters to leave. I was not included in that, either,” he told her. He would've gone if she'd asked him, but his place was to stand guard over her brood. He was unprepared to defy her because she was his leader - not until she appeared to make arrangements to send him to stud.

He flicked his ears, surprised by what came next. Prepare a newborn for what?” Quicksilver challenged, made restless enough to gather himself onto his paws, “For what reason does Ira need our child? You keep bringing up Hotaru as though I expect you to send her away instead. I don't.” He would not be made a villain. Reiko had made decisions for him and their prospective family that were unfair, and continued to bark at him in defense of those choices. She loved Shiroshika, that much was clear, enough to sacrifice her offspring for those he followed her.

“That's not what you told me,” he answered when she announced that the High Queen had rejected the idea of claiming a child in favour of their union. She'd suggested that their marriage was expected and that a child might still be required - which simply wasn't acceptable for him.

The lesser evil was what Reiko claimed to have chosen, and he felt the control he tried to maintain over his frustration beginning to waver. Quicksilver gritted his teeth and turned his face once more to shoot her a pointed stare, allowing the silence to linger heavily and uncomfortably between them. “Evil is evil, Reiko,” he said coolly, and realised then that perhaps she was not the same she-wolf he'd fallen in love with. The Reiko he knew was selfless, yes, but her priority in this world had always been her children.

She, a mother who wished only for her babes to come home. A mother who would do anything to keep them close. What made a new litter, one by him, so expendable?

What had she become? What was it that changed her?

Quicksilver could say no more on the matter as she rambled about her comrades who'd been affected by Khun and asked what he'dhave done instead, because she'd asked him not to fight her with words. He would respect that request. His powder blue gaze lingered for a time on her face, on the wide and pleading cyan of her eyes. To what extend would she go to fulfil her promise to Ira? The idea of Reiko presenting herself to any other man made his skin crawl and his heart sink.

Pain was clear on his face as he imagined such indignity. “Until you know exactly what Ira wants in exchange for her assistance in solving your cat problem,” he said meekly, “I... I can't play the part you want me to.”

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-14-2022, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2022, 09:59 PM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
“The communication between Ira and yourself is not something I can control.” Again, she was expected to do all the heavy lifting in the role of communicator. Even if she was a day travel away, even if what was sent back with Gyrfalcon was not something she could just send back with a new message as Gyrfalcon was recovering from her previous endeavours.

“Prepare them to live with Ira, what do you think? That I would just blindside a child and send them off without them knowing? Without them seeing Vanderfell for themselves first?” She was becoming defensive. Hairs rose slightly with a life of their own as she grew irritated with all the accusations. More. More and more were piled on from each direction she turned. “I still hear no other solutions that I could have come up with on the spot Quicksilver.” She would reiterate. If he could not come up with one now after days of knowing what had occurred, then how could she be expected to on the spot?

“Perhaps you should speak to the High Queen herself this time as opposed to relying on my poor communication skills.” She would not play the middleman any longer. If he needed more answers, he could seek them himself. She couldn’t speak on Ira’s behalf and it was clearly not working to try and communicate with Quicksilver alone.

She would not answer any further. Turning her head away from the Druid and back onto the waters flowing ahead of her. He did not want to “play the part” but she still had a role to fulfil. A debt to pay. If he didn’t want to participate, that was always his choice but she would not turn away from the bargain she had claimed. 

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-14-2022, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 01:49 PM by Quicksilver. Edited 1 time in total.)
“You tell me you arranged a marriage with me without asking me,” Quicksilver's whole body began to quiver and his voice trembled, fear and disappointmentand everything all at once beginning to brim, “and you offered to send our children away - all in exchange for teeth. Now you want me to figure it out?”

He couldn't think of a time in his life that he'd ever been truly angry, but it ignited within the druid like wildfire. It felt so foreign to him, so unnatural, that at last tears spilled from his eyes to cascade down silken white cheeks. He whimpered, pitiful and unsure how to channel the new emotions that built up within him.

“You want solutions? You could've just come here. We could've had each other, I-” he sobbed, a blubbering mess, and the budding rage subsided as swiftly as it'd come. Only grief remained, “we could've just gone somewhere else, started over.” He wanted love to be enough, but it never seemed to be. “I just wanted us to be happy! For once in my fucking life, I just-” his breath hitched, his legs shook, and he repeated: “I just wanted to be happy.”

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-14-2022, 10:20 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2022, 09:59 PM by Reiko. Edited 2 times in total.)
“I OFFERED a marriage, you are NEVER obliged or chained.” She pleased with him to not start an argument, and yet one had arrived regardless. One after another there was one more argument to unfold. “You think running away from all this would have been a better solution? To leave all those who look to me for safety, for help, to leave and not think of Haruki who has vanished once again and not think of how he too would not find me?”

It was like no one would ever see through her eyes. They refused to. Everything was so simple if she would just let everything go. How could they think everything was just that simple when they only ever saw one side of it all. If they didn’t care about the Shiroshikans, how could they expect her not to? Expect her not to do everything in her power to provide what she promised upon their joining?

“Is that not what I want as well? While you were here with Ira’s young, I dealt with Vera. I dealt with Kuhn and Valmúa while recovering. I solidified an alliance with Ira. I chose you over another and offered for you to remain with my friend, Izumi - when in all this was I allowed to be happy?” Furious the dam broke. Tears spilled out from her eyes as she found herself standing to face Quicksilver again.

When did she move?

“I had done this alone. While everyone turns their back and point at my imperfections, I have done what I can with little guidance and gods forbid I try with the best intentions at heart. While you assist with Ira and her children, I sleep alone wondering what horrible thing will occur the next day. If Kuhn and his accomplice will return, or Vera to finish what they started. If Hotaru will go missing next. I cannot be this perfect individual you seem to think of me to be, I cannot be held to that standard when I am given nothing in return but anger.” She could see the hurt in his eyes, in his posture, but there was a wound in her own heart that only deepened in time. “I cannot tell you how sorry I am for what has happened, but I still have no other proper solution. If you cannot work with me to figure it out together, now that we are here together, then I am forced to continue trying my absolute best on my own.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-15-2022, 07:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 01:49 PM by Quicksilver. Edited 5 times in total.)
She erupted, spewing words of how she looked to take care of any and all - and all he could think of was how she could do that at his expense. Reiko thought herself the hero, willing to sacrifice her womb and reproduce to solidify an alliance with Vanderfell. She sought a union with him where he would lose every time: to agree he might lose a child, and to disagree he would lose the love of his life.

In his fragile state if mind, he did not know what was worse.

Soon she was up and she was barking in his face, tears streaming from wild cerulean eyes and he, her verbal punching bag. Quicksilver withdrew from her once more, unwilling to stand and be screamed at for voicing his concerns and trying to make sense of the impossible situation she had attempted to place him in.

Yes, Reiko had offered a union rather than demanded it of him, but he believed there to be expectation on her part that he wouldn't have challenged her. He knew he could not win, no matter what he chose. Either he could provide children meant to pay a debt, or he could watch the love of his life seek someone else that could fulfil her needs.

Reiko brought up his prior interest in Izumi, and how she'd sacrificed her relationship with another in favour of him. It reopened an old wound that the druid had thought long repaired, and he felt it. Quicksilver flinched, visibly, shocked and pained that the snowflower could spit the past at him and continue to hold it against him.

“I'm sorry,” he cried, hating that their reunion, his comfort and his affection had not been enough for her. “I'm sorry I wasn't there.”

The rain isn't permanent, he'd told her only days before. He felt then that maybe it could be.

As hurt as he felt, he still wanted to reach for her and hold her to him. His touch was likely the last thing she wanted from him, so he chose to give her space. He simply looked back at her with watery eyes, and sniffed to clear the mucus from his nose. Had he really been so awful to her? He'd agreed to be her husband as long as she did rip their offspring away from him. A reasonable request! Still, Reiko had not promised him that but instead expected him to create that part of the contract with Ira himself.

The world looked at him as gentle and submissive, weak. He was done letting others take advantage of his good nature.

When her rampage came to an end, he let silence linger a moment longer. Breathe, he reminded himself, and slowly drew one deep into his lungs.

Was it worth it? Much blood had been shed; Orlaith, slaughtered; their relationship, uncertain; her enemies, still alive and no doubt plotting revenge. Vanderfell and Shiroshika both suffered, and for what?

For nothing.

“I am trying to work with you,” he tried, again, to reason with her, “I don't know what else you want me to say. I've already told you my terms: I'll marry you as long as you promise not to send our children away. It is not unreasonable to want to keep my family together.”

He wanted the earth to open him up and swallow him whole. “It-it is your responsibility to make that arrangement with Ira, not mine. It is your contract, after all. I will participate if you or the Queen asks me to, with all of us present, but I... I won't be initiating this conversation.”

If Reiko did not, then he would assume his request could not be met - and he would deal with that heartache should it come for him.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-15-2022, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2022, 03:03 PM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
Visibly he was hurt. Wounded by her cutting words but there was no stopping the dam that had broken, the rush of emotions that fled from her mouth in both defensive and an offensive way of trying to protect what little was left of herself. To justify her actions, to play keep away from this villainous picture others seem so delighted in painted her in.

Though to him the rain wasn’t permanent as the druid had said days prior - the rains had yet to stop over months. She was drowning in the flood with no hand to help other than that of Ira’s. The one outstretched paw willing to help and Reiko would cling to it desperately by any means necessary.

“It is not, and I agreed. But you continue to see me as some uncaring villain who would just breed and send what is mine away without a thought.” Because she did think. She thought over and over of the repercussions. Of what could happen should she choose not to. If she had not made a deal with Ira for assistance.

“If we are to marry it has to be by your choice. You would be Emperor by my side, and thus would have to make difficult choices and speak with Ira as equal rulers. I cannot keep doing it myself. You need answers, she is who has them for you.” If he could not make difficult decisions and face his own destiny, how could he be trusted as Emperor? “I wish you would walk with me, and not opposed or dragged behind forcefully.” That he would move on his own accord.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-15-2022, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 01:49 PM by Quicksilver. Edited 1 time in total.)
The anger no longer flared, but it remained. He could feel it simmer in his blood, and in the electricity that vibrated in Reiko's defence - ready to spark, and ignite them both.

She announced yet another expectation of him, of how he was to step into the role of Emperor alongside her. He'd considered it before, fleetingly, recalling how Hieronymous had become King on the day of his wedding to Ira. It wasn't something the druid had dwelled on for long, for the title was far too grand for the likes of him. He was simply Quicksilver, destined to follow - void of the confidence required to lead. No, Reiko would be a fool to thrust him into such a position.

One more thing he feared he could not commit to. He would doom them all.

Quicksilver had never asked to lead his own pack. He'd never asked for anything more than love, loyalty and honestly. An easy life, not one where he'd need to live up to unrealistic expectations. He saw how Reiko suffered for it, and had felt it by association.

“When you're prepared to consult with the Queen and I,” he said in conclusion, mentally exhausted. He was more than ready for this discussion to come to an end, “I'll be waiting.”

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top