Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Your baby's falling, you know I'm talking now,

AW
Dragonford Isles
Ecologist
04-08-2022, 03:59 AM
For once the brim was clear of the fog. Yet that didn't seem a good sign when within the distance a brimming storm continued to swarm. She saw it from the Isle, and thought it was nothing but another storm coming. However as she waited days and days out it simply.. Never came. Vendrussel was upon the beach, ontop a washed up log that was withered down by the sea itself, and held her head high in a narrowed wonder to this abmissal storm.

Endlessly black clouds seemed to keep at bay, and no matter how much time passed, they didn't move. Always within a certain amount of distance, and she wasn't sure what to make of it. Maybe @Kei, who family came from guardians of nature itself would know so ; but the dragoness knew for the time being she was pre-occupied. Even if she did ask, would she even know what was happening?

the staff team luvs u
04-13-2022, 09:51 PM
After a brief respite following their chaotic night with Ragnar, Valeska and @Amaranth supposed it would soon be time to head home. The High Priestess rose early, wanting a few moments in private to clear her mind from the haze of whatever had happened during their strange ritual they had just performed - she still felt a little strange, but it was nothing the salt air couldn't rid her of.

Walking toward the beach, picking her way between the waterlogged debris that littered the sand, she caught a glimpse of something standing in the fog. Noisily, she approached, not wanting to startle the figure by coming up suddenly without warning; her paws crunched against the loose earth and she could now make out its shape.

A wolf - but not smelling of Northfall, curiously enough.

“Is this your home?” she ventured cautiously, ears forward. “It is beautiful... in a way.”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: m7jPOzS.png]
Paladin
04-14-2022, 06:44 PM
Though the moment to see the sky above was blocked out moments later, as the fog came back in like a snake. A squinting, at what she was looking at faded within the distance and would have to move elsewhere to take a proper look — but as the fog came, so too did the scents. It wasn't one she was familiar with, but the scent of a mountainous pack unlike Northfall slowly drifted ; and the rather gruesome one of a more sinister smell at play, of someone having a little too much fun, that Vendrussel wrinkled her nose.

She prowled forward, but the figure had already caught her. Slightly on edge she raised her head and tail, "Part of it," the dragoness declared, "a hunting grounds for my ford," a warning that it wasn't as if they were barred from it, but the stranger would be wise not to use it like a free-land, where to take resources as so. Being on an isle had its advantages, and disadvantages, they were often at loss for prey itself and could only take to the beaches and it's forest. They would do well to protect it, and make sure others try not to claim so. 

As she said so, the smell of them tickled her nose, and she narrowed her eyes to this figure, within the fog. They didn't have a warriors physique, they were smally and dainty and a voice of a female ; she knew not to be fooled by so as for all she knew it was a trick, and yet.. A politeness came to them, but she couldn't help be on guard.

The scent of sex and Northfall was within the sea-salt air.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
04-14-2022, 08:35 PM
The she-wolf regarded her with a dim ferocity in her eyes, like a serpent coiled on the defensive; as she drew herself more upright, the image only cemented itself further in her mind, and Valeska hesitated in her approach lest she seem too welcome.

Ah; that would explain the scent lingering here. Whoever this woman was, she used this piece of land often, as the smell of her and her kin hung faintly yet distinctly over the rocks and soil. “Do not worry, I am only on a short visit to Northfall - I just took a moment to be by myself, and it is soothing here,” she replied genially, her voice low and relaxed. If the stranger had meant to attack her on sight, surely she would have done so by now - it seemed safe enough to continue their chat.

The slight nose-wrinkle did not go unnoticed, and Valeska smiled sheepishly. It would be too much information to share what pieces she did remember of that fateful night, but she also felt a peculiar... not hostility, but a wariness emanating from her.

She had to admit her curiosity as to the two packs' relations. Ragnar had mentioned something about a neighbor on unfriendly terms earlier, but surely it couldn't be the pack directly at their doorstep.

“Oh! My manners. I am Valeska, High Priestess of Elysium in the northeastern mountains,” she offered, motioning toward the general direction of home with her head. “I am here because - well, it will sound absurd, but my mate has adopted a small raven, and somehow Ragnar's own companion found himself in our territory. He filled her little bird-head with many fanciful ideas, and she would not cease until we could witness - how did she say it - 'the great raven-led pack of wolf warriors at his disposal'.”

She let that sink in for a moment, realizing the ridiculousness of her situation.

“Once we arrived, the gods... spoke to us. So we stayed a little longer.”

And it was true; prior to their ritual, she and Amaranth had sat upon this very shore and performed a most interesting reading of assorted trinkets and feathers, and the spirits had answered them - she would never forget that night. Whispered voices and eldritch winds, electricity in the very air around them, and the promise of her very dreams.

Only time would tell if it truly came to be.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-15-2022, 03:26 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 03:26 AM by Vendrussel.)
They spoke a lot, she firstly deducted, while drawing in closer. Her rather cold gaze continued while approaching her ; someone shrouded in silvers that looked she belonged to the tundra itself. A pretty one, someone that any male would fancy by a mere' look of their golden eyes. A kindness, taking to them upon their barrage of information that she did not ask for, but was slowly processing so.

"If you are friends with Northfall," Vendrussel said, "then surely you know the damage they have caused, and the enemies they have gained." Their Gods be damned, for she waltzed in after a fuck fest with the King of the other land, and then waltzed to her own. How unfortunate, she so thought. Either the other was simply ignorant to it all, or that Ragnar, wasn't informing his allies of the deeds he done. At this point in time, Vendrussel knew she wasn't so innocent in this brawl anymore, as blood was sprawled to the very place they both were within now — but she still pushed, none would happen if they were left at peace.

She wouldn't repeat history.. But the dragoness wasn't pleased on knowing there was others waltzing around making friends with him ; it meant danger to herself, and those who followed to the ford itself, "you seem nice," she so said. Though her stance emitting in a dominant pose, tall and firm, as she drew in close.. She had yet to thread. Only an indication, that such a nice moment may not continue, depending on words that may blow.

A gaze looked around, to see if any more would soon follow to the beach. She only could vaguely smell a few upon her pelt, but as far as she could tell — no one was else was following. There was another scent upon the wind, but she couldn't tell whether they too would be joining this beach part.

"But you should be careful to who you trust. I am Vendrussel, of the ford."

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-15-2022, 03:53 AM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2022, 04:45 AM by Valeska. Edited 1 time in total.)
The sudden venom she spat regarding Northfall took her by surprise; her ears twitched back ever so slightly, concerned the woman before her might snap entirely and attack. Whatever had riled her up must have been serious, though Valeska herself chose to avoid violence as a general rule. Most conflicts, she believed firmly, could be solved through level-headed and kind conversation with an effort to understand both sides.

Her idealistic nature somehow had not seen her killed.

Yet.

“I do not,” she replied, surprise coloring her voice. So it was this pack - Ragnar had not been given the opportunity to expound further on his warning, just implied that some terrible tragedy had happened between them.

”But I would like to know, if it is not an inconvenee… incoven… дерьмо.” She had grown quite confident in her English this past year, though there were still a few gaps to bridge when it came to some of its longer words. “Inconvenience. Yes. Apologies.”

And it was true - she did wish to learn what had transpired between them. Perhaps this information might be helpful, should Northfall prove to be deceitful monsters in disguise after all.

But they didn’t seem bad.

Neither did Vendrussel - just hurt.

“Thank you, Vendrussel of the ford. You also seem nice - and your fur is very unusual. It is like the dark ocean, I have not seen its like.”

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-15-2022, 04:03 AM
"They have constantly invaded my land, if you aren't careful, they'll try and take yours too." The soothness of the other had let Vendrussel slightly at ease as well ; she determined the other was of no harm despite that sickling sent of the northern mountains. A shame she so thought, as rather rage and a bloodthirst was turning to a more of a pity then anything — but she would never attack someone who seemed relatively innocent, and peaceful. Only those who attacked or meant malice, deserved fangs and claws itself.

Her tail fell down as she looked at the other with a more calming gaze, someone who desired knowledge of so. She raised her paw and scratched her ear, feeling a bit awkward on how head-strong she pushed into it. The smell of sex and Northfall was a bit too shocking, especially as it has been some time since she smelled them onto the beach. Perhaps thankful, that they relatively been avoiding each other. She hadn't been around their mountain besides the occasional passing into the tundra.

"Apologies for being so direct, war keeps us on edge." But at the very least she would say something upon the matter, "my clan has lived by the northern oceans for generations, perhaps we have taken to it by our coats." But sad to say, Vendrussel could not remember her parents names or even looks. She couldn't tell what they looked like, and if she looked like them. For all she knew, they looked like Valeska ; for they were both gray in form, but their colors severly contrasted to light, and to darkness.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-15-2022, 04:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2022, 04:46 AM by Valeska. Edited 1 time in total.)
It was a relief to see the imposing stranger lower her guard, even a little - Valeska did not enjoy conflict by any stretch, and even tense conversations could put her on edge. As Vendrussel relaxed, so did she, and the unconscious line of fur that had remained on end down the length of her spine settled at last and she breathed a silent sigh.

“They just... stormed in?” she asked quizzically. She did not smell Northfall lingering on any of the terrain here, nor did Ragnar seem to have any desire to leave his home - she hadn't even met any of his packmates besides the offending raven, so it made little sense to her that he would go conquering without any real reason. Something didn't add up. “Forgive me, but there are two sides to every story - what has made them so hostile to you, in turn? I only wish to understand, for there was pain in his voice, too.”

None of it was spoken with malice. There was no irony, no sardonic note to play off of in her inquiry; she would never purposefully ignite the rage of a soul wronged, but the scales were not balancing here, and she wanted the full picture. There had to have been something, and to understand both parties would illuminate the truth.

The truth - the most important of life's blessings.

Vendrussel cut a sharp figure in the dim light that surrounded them, the fog swirling in lazy circles as it meandered around their soft breaths. The High Priestess was a child of snow and frost, but there was an eldritch appeal to the salt and grit of the ocean - as long as there weren't any gods-damned seagulls. She loathed seagulls.

“Oh, you are fine - I am often accused of the same,” she chuckled through a smile, recalling more than a few upset discussions in the past. “To be direct is a gift. I myself do not like to dance around the point, though I have been told I take more words to get there than others.”

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-16-2022, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2022, 05:04 PM by Vendrussel. Edited 1 time in total.)
"Greedy," she said, a calming rage as she looked upon the other. Breathing steadily ; but the topic was not something taken lightly or with a liking. With in and out did she keep her cool — for the other was not at fault. Only but someone fooled by them, and a taking of their seed for.. Some prophecy, she seemed to see. She proclaimed herself, as the High Priestess of her land, and though Vendrussel had not met many packs that held religion as top-form, she knew it was an important one altogether. Yet didn't know, that she was the leader itself, and not just a prophet of someone elses pack. 

"They came to the land proclaiming it as part of theirs and demanded us to leave. Saying we were too close, despite a whole ocean dividing us so," her nose pointed to the rocks within the Sepulcher. For that was the indication, of their true home. "Their scent was weak at the time, and we knew not of their presence. Only once, have I stepped upon their land," to deliver the body of the young. Though to take a life she did, without regret at the time and now slowly forming ; she wasn't so cold-hearted to leave at the beach. Even enemies, deserve to be laid to rest within their own land, "and yet multiple times they continued despite their leader, Ragnar, seemingly alright."

Though as small as it originally sounded, it was already too late to turn back time. There was no forgiveness, or leeway once a life has been taken. Fights that can be healed or another — but Vendrussel killed Ynness, "Pray tell, High Priestess, why did his members continue with an harassment when we done nothing at the time? Blood has been drawn after so, and now it's too late for peace." 

As the other welcomed it so, Vendrussel continued on without words of softness and otherwise in it. To tell the truth that may happen ; but she didn't fully say what death was taken. But if asked, she wouldn't keep it at heart and lay claim to what was taken. A youngs death, was not with a light sentence.

Vendrussel's rash decision was catching up, as regret sowed its seed within her own soul. A sin, that would not be forgotten, but a blame, placed elsewhere.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-16-2022, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2022, 04:46 AM by Valeska. Edited 1 time in total.)
Vendrussel spoke cryptically, painting a hazy picture with broad brushstrokes as if anything more detailed might bring unnecessary discomfort. Something had happened - she was certain of it - but the ocean-stained wolf did not seem to want to give up any more information that did not serve the narrative she weaved. She could not blame her.

“I have heard a saying, in my brief time,” she offered slowly, ponderously. Her tone was gentle, soothing; as if she might reach out to touch the cheek of the stranger before her in reassurance. Vendrussel presented well, stoic and firm, but pain blossomed within her like hot embers - embers tended to and nurtured by the woman's own warm breath. “An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.”

She smiled sadly, then, and gazed out toward the fathomless sea shrouded in mist. The wind picked up and tossed her fur wildly, forcing Valeska to close her eyes momentarily as the sting of the salt air whipped around her as if the gods themselves were discontent. “It is never too late to try. To spill blood is terrible, yes - but there is always a way to stop the cycle. I do not believe we were meant to live in fear and violence. Ragnar has his own side to this story, also full of pain; but I do not think he wishes this to continue either.”

The mist rolled in heavier than before, nearly obscuring the two wolves from each other in its entirety as it passed. She could no longer see Vendrussel, whatever her expression may have been; she soldiered on regardless, knowing in her heart that her words needed to reach the other's ears. If anything could prevent a war, to stop bloodshed in its tracks, it was worth the effort.

“You are kind, and reasonable; and he has been kind, and reasonable. We are creatures of movement, of reaction - we can little control our impulses and the need to be justified,” she continued unseen, filling the silence between them as heavy as the fog. “Yet there is always the wounded child within us, wishing for peace, craving resolve - it is not my place, but if you might consider a meeting between the two of you, I would remain present. A third set of eyes in light of the gods to remain neutral and cut past the festering wounds.”

A suggestion unlikely to be taken - but if there was any hope left in Vendrussel's aching soul, she at least might consider the prospect. Valeska waited quietly, listening to the waves.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-16-2022, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2022, 05:01 PM by Vendrussel. Edited 1 time in total.)
She moved slightly, to the side that faced the ocean itself to block the oncoming breeze of salt. She was a woman of ice and mountains, not one that took reign to the oceans itself as so she assumed by the smell of her, and the general location about her pack. Unfamiliar with this coast, and she knew beyond the east was but plains and a desert. Surely at one point Vendrussel had passed by her claim, but the smell was passed too quickly to truly memorize as so.

An eye for an eye makes go blind, but the wicked go unpunished. 

She was solemn ; emotions that twisted and turned throughout this process and shoulders she vented too — for the dragoness was naive. Her views on the world did not align with others and came with costs.. Learning, as so and adjusting, to be. For a moment she was crossed as she looked down to the sands itself — for though she bounced off her own thought, for no wicked deed goes unpunished. Her own retribution would come.

"I only wanted peace. We thought we had peace," even Kei had attempted so with the discussion of the man named Ragnar, "yet one who couldn't control his wolves said otherwise, and a civil issue, arose within their own." She would not forget the look Ynness had when was told there was already discussion, and it seemed she was left out. The continual onslaught of others and the fights that brought to the shore, some with her, some without ; and eventual end of one, and the near-crippling of herself.

"You should know," she so said, "even if the desire is there — the blood that was spilled was his own young," and a gaze crossed to her. A chill, rippling through her sides as she softened her gaze with a more forlorn smile at the matter. Though perhaps that lonliness within was hidden between this mist of the fog. Deeds that was crossed and shouldn't be so — and what would she, think of Vendrussel?

At the very least, even the behemoth in the fog remained silent through these moments.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
04-17-2022, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2022, 04:46 AM by Valeska. Edited 1 time in total.)
Well, there it was. The great, monstrous secret hiding behind it all, the true reason for their lack of resolution - she could not blame Ragnar’s pack for their continued hostility, nor could she deny Vendrussel the right to defend themselves.

It was a mess.

And yet.

“Let me try, if it is alright with you,” she said with some hesitation. “Perhaps it will be easier because I am not involved in the way that your own are.”

As the wave of fog that blanketed the pair rolled gently away once more, she could get a clearer view of the dark woman. She seemed so… tired. Not defeated, but exhausted. It only just seeped through the cracks of her stoic facade, but the look was unmistakable.

“Do you want this to end? I do not think you relished the child’s death - you are not that sort of wolf,” Valeska continued. “I still do not think it is too late to try.”

And if it failed - the Five would allow the story to reach its bitter conclusion. Yet if she had been called here for more than her dream’s fulfillment after all, how better to show her thanks to the gods by preventing the further spilling of blood?

It was an idealistic thought, but she was an idealistic woman.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-18-2022, 02:07 AM
"If you wish to try, we would welcome it." No one wants war — no one wants bloodshed and she was tired of having to warn anyone interested of such a bath of brawls. It was not one worth fighting for anymore ; for within the past of certainty she was prepared to venture toward them within an anger, and yet now her soul was simply tired of it all. As a life was taken to it, anything that seemed but a petty reasoning was over — and even her warrior spirit had diminished. She wanted vengeance, she wanted to berate them for all they done ; but that wasn't what her wolves wanted, nor' needed. She wasn't the best leader, but Vendrussel was trying. 

She would welcome the other upon her land if they desired to bring a peace, and rather wondered if it'd be more successful then any attempts. If the other truly was close to Northfall, she could very well help build a bridge that was well-needed, and at the very least ; to halt any more battles that would come between her land. Thus she nodded, for the desire to stop it was a need. As a leader, she didn't like the worry if any of the ford members would step out, would they be attacked as well? Only very few actual fights had happened, but even then.. Now all were bloodthirsty for a death gripe.

"If they leave us alone, we will do the same."

the staff team luvs u
04-18-2022, 05:00 AM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2022, 05:01 AM by Valeska. Edited 1 time in total.)
The moment seemed to last an eternity, but at the very end, Vendrussel exhaled - and all of the earth's woes seemed to come with it. The bitter struggle and unending tension between the two packs had no doubt taken its toll on her, and Valeska could see more than anyone how dearly she wished for it to reach its conclusion. Conflict never served anyone well; she recalled the downfall of her own sire and his unwillingness to let go, and how it had brought about the painful demise of the rest of their pack. Empty bellies, hollow bodies - skeletons walking on stilts until they at last collapsed in the unforgiving frost.

She never wished to see it again.

“Upon my honor as the shepherd of Elysium, upon the gods themselves,” Valeska said solemnly, glancing up toward the misty sky, “I will do my best, and pray Northfall listens. No one else should die for this.”

Neither side of the battle were blameless, but that did not mean they had to continue on in darkness. As long as each drew breath, there was always the promise of hope on the horizon; even the death of a child could be amended if due rectification was given. By Houtu's own law, there was no unforgivable sin - for mortal creatures, mortal made, were bound to make mistakes, and through making mistakes were they forged in hotter flame.

“I promise to try, Vendrussel.”

Dipping her head respectfully, she thought it time to leave; and giving one final look over her shoulder, she departed through the fog, heading back toward Amaranth to go homeward once more.

She would return soon, and keep her promise.

{Exit Valeska}

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-19-2022, 05:10 PM
"I hope your words speak truth and that peace shall come." Though as much as she detested those wolves, and would prefer never to interact with them ; peace was an option that would be taken. Yet, Vendrussel would not give anything up, neither her lands or their ways if it meant for this peace. All she wanted, was for them to generally leave Dragonford alone.

That enough would bring peace — and she hoped, very much so, that Valeska would express that to the others. They may dislike each other, but there is possibility to leave each other alone. But the Alpha wasn't so foolish to believe how easy that can be, especially when they desire her head so much, most likely, for what she had done to their young. Her tail swished in the background as she thought of it all, where no matter if she attempted to try, this would not happen.

Would she succeed? Time would only tell, as she bid the Priestess farewell and returned to her own isle. @Kei should be told of this.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top