Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
left & right, in the dark

Evening Partly Cloudy
AW
Nightwalkers
03-23-2022, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2022, 07:26 PM by Lilith. Edited 1 time in total.)
leaving it aw, but specifically for papa @Vengeance

The scent that Piglet had found a few days prior never left her.

Not that she wasn't used to the pervasive scent of rot that haunted the hallowed grounds, but this particular scent was new. It would drift in on the wind, sickly saccharine sweet, and be gone just as quickly — frustrating any lame attempt she could make to follow it, and satiate the gnawing curiosity of her mind.

Though her body was spent from an afternoon stalking one of the season's earliest fawns and salvaging all parts of its corpse, her brain never seemed to tire. She thought about the scent, and where the fuck it came from, and she channeled this endless churning into grinding her back teeth on the thin, toothpick-esque femur bone.

Lilith bore down until she heard a snap, and smiled as she tasted marrow.

the staff team luvs u
Jealousy is a disease.
Get well soon.
Nightwalkers
03-23-2022, 08:33 PM
Now that their young were getting older, he was preparing to be more present in their life than before. They had survived their youth and now they were getting ready to be a functioning part of the pack. They were growing stronger by the day, a part of him rewarding himself for their strength as if he was the main reason for it. If it were for @Aries' blood being a part of their siblings might have only slowed their growth. Might have tainted them somehow by sharing their meals and mother's attention.

Coming across the one female of their litter, he eyes the child for a moment. “You have been busy as of late... with what?” He wasn't very good with children, perhaps this was also a reason why he didn't spend much time with them until they were older. All he knew is that Lilith along with the disfigured one that managed to slip by him upon their birth were wandering around following something lately.

the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
03-25-2022, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2022, 06:55 PM by Lilith. Edited 1 time in total.)
Hi, Daddy.

She didn't see him often, spending far more time with her mother and brothers than anyone else in the pack. Like, pretty much no one else. The girl definitely made a definite point to not ever be around @Amata, and a small part of Lilith actually considered her to be her mortal enemy. Lilith liked to think of herself as highly-specific in the company she kept, and dad was just... dad. He came, he went, he maimed, it was whatever. She didn't overthink it.

But whenever Lilith did find herself under her father's scrutiny, she found herself becoming alive in ways she simply couldn't around the other members of her family. The girl felt an intense need to impress and please him, and she found most of the time she shared with him was spent like a talent show, with her demonstrating whatever skill Mother was making her practicing that week.

Perhaps one day this might turn into a complex, but at this tender age, it manifested more as whiny attention-grabbing.

Honestly, the dark girl wasn't feeling that well, and her mind felt like a candle burnt at both ends; this smell had overtaken her in the past couple days. "It's fucking gross around here," she whined as he approached and inquired about her activities, tossing the small bones to the side and leaning to the side dramatically. "and it smells disgusting, and it's everywhere." Again, it's not that Lilith wasn't used to the normal aroma of The Nightwalkers and their land, but this one was new and she simply couldn't go nose-blind to it. "I can't think, I can't sleep, I can only.... smell..." She grit her jaw, her frustration palpable.

the staff team luvs u
Jealousy is a disease.
Get well soon.
Hunter
03-29-2022, 08:27 PM
It stinks she says.

A brow cocks on his dark face as he tries to decipher what she said stunk. According to everyone who complained to him, the whole damn pack and Blackwood stunk of him—but that was a stench she was born into. Surely Lilith was accustomed to it, not knowing anything else since birth. So it had to be something else she was on to.

He took a moment to sniff at the air as his daughter approached dramatically. His nose wasn't quite dull, but he couldn't pick up the scent that she was talking about. Perhaps the children's noses were keener at their age than his now that it had seen a few teeth. “Then find out what it is and get rid of it.” His solution was simple enough to him. If she didn't like it, get rid of it. It was the Rache way, his way of dealing with an annoyance.

“Surely you can track it now at your age.” If she wanted to impress him, Lilith had to do more than just whine and hope that her parents would bend over backwards anytime something bothered her slightly.

the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
04-05-2022, 07:27 PM
Father didn't humor her, but didn't outright dismiss her concerns either. Laying upon the ground as she was, he seemed so large and imposing — well, he looked like this all the time, not just to children — and the shadowed girl found herself oddly pleased when her father lifted his nose to sniff at the air. Her expression brightened, and tail wagged eagerly to see if he could smell what she smelled; but to her dismay, he gave her no indication. Only instructions.

Lilith climbed to her feet and shook her pelt, pursing her lips in consternation, wondering how to explain her dilemma to him. "Dad, I've tried," she said with an unintentional shrug, as if she were nonchalant about this despite her frustration in moments prior. "It's here and then it's gone," she rocked her head to demonstrate the ephemeral nature of this particular smell. "and then it's over there, and then its gone again." The girl's peacock blue eyes glinted, truly curious how her father would suggest she track such a thing. So far, no one else had given her any aid.

But of course, Lilith rolled her eyes and felt compelled to continue speaking. "I keep thinking that Piggie or Levi farted but... they didn't." she scoffed, leaving little to the imagination.

the staff team luvs u
Jealousy is a disease.
Get well soon.
05-02-2022, 08:55 PM
Lilith insisted on her attempts - and he only hid the grin that tickled his lips wondering if she truly thought he would go out of his way to find it himself for her? In fact, he took slight pleasure in completely disregarding her comfort with this mysterious scent of hers. It would make good tracking training for her to figure this out herself after all, and this would be his excuse to remain out of this.

“If you cannot find it, I suppose you should get accustomed to it.” Maybe that'll light a fire under her ass. She could even ask her brothers for assistance, he wouldn't bring the idea to her but instead was interested to see what she would come up with on her own.

“Should you find it and its too imposing to deal with, only then will I assist.” Was the only helping hand he would give her. Even he couldn't expect a child to go toe to toe with a sickly opponent who was perhaps too large and ferocious for children. He was unfair, and brutal, but even he had his limits if he didn't want to outright kill them himself. At least by tracking, she had the possibility of success.

the staff team luvs u
05-11-2022, 05:43 PM
Ugh. Lilith was frustrated with the lack of help she was receiving from her father, but honestly, she hadn't expected much different from him. It was difficult to track something that existed only in one's head, though Lilith had no awareness that it wasn't a true scent that drifted in and out of her awareness several times a day. Either way, Lilith could tell that this was not a tree worth barking up any longer, unless Daddy start thinking she was a lazy cry-baby.

She perked up and strode a step or two closer, absolutely unable to help the exasperation in her teenage voice as she bobbed her head and claimed "Okay, okay, I will, I promise," which she concluded by reaching out and pressing her nose against the underside of his jaw, as a younger cub might when asking for food. After the briefest of indulgences, the stormcloud pulled back and whirled around, wagging her tail fiercely, not wanting to lose his attention just yet.

"But Daddy, hey, Daddy, look at this—" the lanky girl abruptly sat back on her haunches and all-too-quickly lifted her lips to the tree canopy, taking a sharp breath and ushering a weak yet heart-felt howl. It probably couldn't be heard even half a mile away, but hey, she was pretty young and had no real need to howl yet. "I've been practicing that," the little raven said with pride, fluffing her feathers.

the staff team luvs u
Jealousy is a disease.
Get well soon.
06-08-2022, 06:01 PM
She promised something. To find it? Get rid of it? Or was she promising to ignore it and live with the stench she hated oh so much? He wouldn't ask for clarification as he didn't truly care all that much about the topic. His lips lifted into a half snarl as she pressed her nose against his chin - not too receptive of the affectionate touch even from his own daughter.

But Lilith had more to show. A little weak, useless howl of hers. He should be more understanding for her age. More patient. More encouraging - but to him, this was a waste of precious time. She had a lot of growing to do still and more to learn than some pathetic howl if she was going to be useful to the pack in any way one day.

“I would practice harder.” Clearly he was non-too-impressed, again giving her little leeway despite her age. “Can you do anything else?” He pressed. A hardened gaze dissecting the girl and waiting for anything that might impress him even in the slightest. Can she hunt? Is she already interested in killing?

If all else fails and she remains in Nightwalkers... perhaps her only duty and use could be that of baring children for a newer generation. Preferably one that will make more of an impact than a youngster who can barely howl still.

Father of the decade ladies and gents

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top