Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
girl, you're such a backstabber

Early Morning
P
Nightwalkers
Adventurer
03-23-2022, 01:22 PM
@Vengeance and Edith traveled through the night and into the early morning. She had never gone this far before, and if she wasn’t as tired and scared as she was, she would have taken the time to appreciate and observe her surroundings. Instead, her mind wandered as she thought about everything that she had just left behind. Edith mainly thought about @Calhoun and @Warwick—her partners in crime. Had they realized that she had left? What were they thinking? It was strange to be without him, but she knew that she’d return soon to persuade them to come with her. Edith knew it wouldn’t be hard to convince them, as they had discussed leaving Elkshire’s claim on more than one occasion.

She only wished that they were here with her right now, seeing the world for the first time.

Edith was exhausted by the time that they had arrived at the reach. She had lost her momentum in the last leg of the journey, and strayed a few steps behind her father. The forest had loomed in the distance for a while, still and eerie as it watched them approach. Edith noticed the way the forest stood, with fog blanketing their roots. She couldn’t explain it, but there was something foreboding about it, and she couldn’t shake the feeling.

Foregoing her intuition for now, Edith quickened her stride, pushing herself for the last mile of their excursion. She would meet her father’s pace, attempting prove to him that she was ready for whatever training she was about to begin.

Although she hardly knew him, Edith felt an overwhelming urge to show him why she had been hand-picked by the High Elk. She hadn’t thought much about Him since he had not shown up when she had needed him most. That was an existential crisis for another day.

the staff team luvs u
03-23-2022, 05:58 PM
Unlike the young girl, Vengeance strode into the mist with purpose and a continuously strong stride. She would become stronger in no time here in comparison to the cushiony life within Elkshire. First he had to continue to chip away at the teachings Célnes had implemented in them for the past few months. “The caches are yours to rummage through when hungry.” He wouldn't tell her what could be found there. If she was hungry she would figure it out herself. If she was picky and shied away from elk, she would go hungry.

“We have a child who is roughly the same age as you. @Amata, you will see her soon enough. There are other puppies too, younger, they are your half siblings.” He wasn't certain what Edith would think of other children, let alone some who were related to her... but @Morag was a fierce mother, whatever Edith wanted to do to them, Morag would surely make sure it was nothing but kind.

First thing was first as they entered deeper into the woods, she would not be mistaken as a fool that Flynn was. An idiot running through their woods against the Warlord's wishes. She would smell like them now, with him rubbing shoulders with the young girl, cheek against her head to mark her as one of them. “Here, we attack trespassers on sight.”

the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
03-28-2022, 07:45 PM
Edith nodded, acknowledging Vengenance’s offer of food. She would take him up on it once they parteds ways for the time being. Although the thought of a meal was appealing, she longed to sleep. She had never felt this tired, even though her anxiety kept her wired and somewhat alert. Edith yawned and tried to focus on what Vengenace said.

When he mentioned a child her age and her half-siblings, she perked. Edith already didn’t like them; they were competition—annoyances that would steal away her father’s time. She frowned, ignoring that part altogether. Though, even she could admit, it’d been a good distraction from her thoughts.

Vegenace then began to rubbing against her, and Edith sucked in a quick breath right before he got too close. He stunk, and it was downright disrespectful that he was sharing his stink. Soon, she’d have flies circling ‘round her, too. She pulled away as he spoke again, allowing herself some personal space, and exhaled quietly.

Edith was convinced that she’d never be clean again—especially with the smell of death and decay around. There was a lot that she would need to adapt to.

”I’ll whoop their behinds,” she promised with a firm nod, lying through her teeth.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-03-2022, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2022, 01:00 AM by Vengeance. Edited 1 time in total.)
Her personal hygiene meant as much to him as his own. In a way that he couldn't give a shit about it. “I would expect you do.” He didn't know how much Remus had taught her or her siblings so perhaps if she was to come across an intruder he would watch her interaction from a far at first to gauge her abilities or lack there of. She would learn soon enough that he wasn't the type of father to coddle his young. If she was too weak or afraid to fight for herself, she would be left behind and it was as simple as that.

“So tell me, what has Remus taught you? Do you have any abilities or aspirations?” They would start there with her growth. He would need to know what they were working with if she was to becoming anything better than what Elkshire could do with her. As they spoke he would walk her further into the heart of the lands as he would guide Edith to where the majority of them slept. She would learn quickly enough that he didn't waste any time with silence as they walked. If they could do so while stepping forward, he would.

It was all about killing two birds with one stone.

the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
04-04-2022, 05:42 PM
When Vengeance asked Edith what she had learned from Remus, she rolled her eyes. ”Nothing really,” she replied with a snort, ”He’s been focusing on the others now that they aren’t entirely useless.” This had been a major pain point for the trio, and they often complained about their own lack of training.

”I want power,” she answered simply to her father’s second question. ”And I’m a skilled hunter—I prefer hunting larger prey like boars and turkeys.” Edith spoke like she was in a job interview—she was precise and eager, despite her exhaustion.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
05-02-2022, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2022, 04:59 PM by Vengeance. Edited 2 times in total.)
Displeased, his features fell with a new found annoyance that Remus wasn't focussing on the more promising pups rather than the weaklings who would amount to nothing if they weren't already blossoming on their own.

At least Edith's desires were simple. Power he could do. Muscles were easily built over time by pushing one's body past its limits. Something he himself excelled in. The girl gave him a list of prey she was interested in hunting - one of which stuck out to him more than the other. “Boar?” How interesting. Those were formidable prey to hunt alone, even Vengeance had to admit it. The males in particular were vicious and females... well, with their piglets were no joke either.

“Are you able to hunt them on your own?” He knew the challenge he was issuing was nearly impossible. For someone so young, inexperienced, there was no way she could hunt a boar solo... could she? Or was she far beyond his expectations of her already?

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
05-09-2022, 08:35 PM
Edith wanted to impress Vengeance, but she knew that she wouldn’t benefit from lying to him. ”No,” she replied. ”Though—I did track one back in the Elk’s Crown. I spent weeks learning about it,” she licked her chops uncomfortably, knowing that it wouldn’t be enough to impress her father, ”I knew when and where to find it most times—knew it’s tendencies. I was waiting for it to injure itself before I thought about pursuing it.” It had loved the sunshine and the river’s bank. It rolled in the wet mud, legs flailing in the air as it scratched its back, and Edith had found it endearing. It had also been easy to scare. She had caused it to flee on more than one occasion. It had been frustrating, but it had also taught her how to stalk.

”I do want to be able to hunt one alone one day,” Edith added. ”when I’m ready. I need more training.” 

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
05-27-2022, 01:00 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2022, 04:59 PM by Vengeance. Edited 1 time in total.)
“They do not often injure themselves.” He interjected as she spoke. Hogs had a low center of gravity with their shorter legs. Those hooves were surprisingly nimble and for the size of the beast, it was pretty agile. Perhaps even more so than any wolf. Deadly to those who were unprepared to take on tusks and a wild fight to the death.

“Ability alone will get you nowhere with boar. We will start you off by learning its anatomy. Where it is weakest, where is best to strike in combat should ambush be impossible. After all, masking your scent to a snout like theirs is a fool's errand.” Even without the stench that Vengeance carried - hogs were notorious to have a greater sense of smell than any wolf.

“Do you know of any weaknesses a hog might have?” Still he sought to see what she was taught through questioning. How was she taught to hunt. How was she taught to fight. Was she taught to think of her prey or foe before engaging at all? Of any strengths, she might have against the enemy? He would find out sooner rather than later. As soon as Edith was taken to the dens to rest, he would venture off to find a hog's path and try to catch one himself.

Perhaps they could dissect one together in the new night.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
06-02-2022, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2022, 08:48 PM by Edith. Edited 1 time in total.)
They do not often injure themselves.” Vengenace interjected. Edith hesitated after his correction, uncharacteristically tongue-tied. She listened to what he had to share, nodding in agreement every so often when she felt it was appropriate. He then posed a question, and she felt a lump form in her throat as her mind began to race. 

[Image: spongebob-squarepants-spongebob.gif]

Edith was always one to fake it until she made it, so she did just that. "Attack from behind," she answered, swallowing her uncertainty, "That way, it can't get you with its tusks."

She prayed to the High Elk that she was right. 

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
06-08-2022, 04:58 PM
Edith tried to answer to her best understanding. “No.” And he shot it down immediately. Almost reading her mind before she even opened her mouth. No he wasn't psychic, but with her lack of understanding and training, he safely assumed her answer would be something like that. “What part of agile do you not understand?” He growled, irritated at the lack of education they were offering in Elkshire. “With a compact body, hooves make for quicker movement than paws - it will turn quicker than you or I can react and gore you with their tusks.”

He let that nugget sink in. Sparing no details at how prey could easily turn out on top against a predator if they were ill-prepared. “A pig has poor vision. Small eyes in comparison to any nocturnal beast. Our strength against it is timing. They roam during the day, so your best is to attack at night.”

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
06-08-2022, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2022, 05:16 PM by Edith. Edited 2 times in total.)
Portion of this post is inspired/quoted from Mean Girls.

“No.” Vengeance interjected, “What part of agile do you not understand?” Edith could hear her heartbeat in her ears, her stomach felt like it was going to fall out of her butt. She had this lump in her throat like after you dry-swallow a big pill. She hated how Elkshire had neglected to teach her. She hated it! 

She had never heard silence so loud; this was a lesson that she'd never forget. She nodded quickly, indicating that she understood. "I'll track them at night, once I've begun training," she promised. "It'll kill me if I go into it like some idiot." Edith wondered how many wolves had done so and had died because of their ignorance. She could have been one of them, had it not been for Vengeance. 

"When will I start learning their anatomy?"

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
06-08-2022, 05:25 PM
Though Elkshire had failed to train Edith properly, she was thankfully a sponge. Soaking up anything he gave her as though she had been out in the heat of the day for far too long. “Probably eat you too.” He added. Pigs after all... were omnivores, and wouldn't pass up the meal of a dead wolf.

When will I start learning their anatomy? She asks, which nearly made his eyes roll if he didn't find it somewhat humorous. “You already are.” She may not have realized it, but this whole conversation was the beginning of her lessons in regard to pigs. “Find a small one. Kill it. We will dissect it further.” If she chose to try and "impress" him with something larger than she can handle, and failed... well... there were always others in her litter who he could try with next.

“Certainly you can handle a small one...” It might give her a hard time, but he had enough confidence she could take it down and survive.

the staff team luvs u
06-08-2022, 06:32 PM
"Yes, I can," Edith answered with a nod, accepting his challenge, and standing a little taller. 

They went their separate ways after the agreement, and she began her search for the piglet. She stalked away with confidence, shedding the fear and apprehension of their conversation, motivated now more than ever to make Vengeance proud.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top