Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Everytime the season comes

AW
Content Warning
03-08-2021, 02:55 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2021, 02:59 AM by zina. Edited 2 times in total.)
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • Gore
She could remember that night as if it happened mere moments ago…

The earth being ripped from her feet as the ledge she stood on caved inward, the gut-wrenching feeling that her organs had been “floating” as she continued to fall hundreds of feet from what was once a platform, and the sharp crunching sound of every fragile bone in her lithe form breaking upon impact. This pain, it was just too much to bear, and not even a tear could escape her ducts -- nor a cry from the throat that metallic blood pooled in -- before her mangled body put itself out of its misery and tucked the young crane into a state of eternal rest. It took only seconds for the gods to pull their cruel strings of fate and decide the ink-blotched woman was no more -- and so the final chapters of Izumi’s life would be quick to come to a close……..at least, that’s what we’d think. Though it would appear the gods had other plans for the young girl…..

"もう一度目を開ける時が来た、藤原泉.”

Eyes of calmed lavender fields, half-lidded and glossed over within death’s greedy pull, would soon spring open when the first few heartbeats bled life into her veins. Clouds of snow flew in all directions as limbs flailed clumsily in the air with confused, frightful desperation -- and when the crane did manage to stand to her feet once again, her dumbfoundedness did not leave her at all. Eyes searched, then searched some more -- Where in the world was she? Izumi could have sworn she was standing near a cliff not too long ago and it sure as hell wasn't this cold where she was either. It seems her tendency to wander had taken her too far into the wilderness -- it was time to head back to Kaisteloki....If she'd be able to find it here of all places, that is. Izu would need to figure out where she was first...

the staff team luvs u
[Image: IZumi1.png]
03-08-2021, 11:13 AM
For those who have ears to hear
Let them hear

The world became flesh
It dwelt among us 
To live is to be apart from it 

To part from this world is love 
To return to it is to die
To give up one's self to the great all
In Death we are perfected

"But I no longer seek your salvation..."  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a Gasp of air, Kuhn's eyes where opened.  Greeting him was the cloud of his own breath; superimposed over the blindingly bright landscape.  The next sensation was that of cold snow, the smells, the wind, the world.  

"I am me..."
the staff team luvs u
03-08-2021, 03:03 PM
And so her journey had begun.

To find out where she had ended up and searching for a way back was one challenge for the crane, the next would be figuring out how – why she was still even alive. Izumi slowly and cautiously stretched her long limbs, to test if she was in some strange state of shock that caused her to feel no impact from the injuries received, but she still didn’t feel a thing – and the fact that nothing was broken either only made things stranger. That feeling of mind-numbing pain Izumi felt last night was far too real to have just been a dream, so how come she was – at least felt – completely unscathed? To make matters even stranger, Izu’s violet gaze would shift upward to find this “cliff”, only to be met with nothing but large evergreen trees that surrounded the area. What exactly was going on here??

Trying to reason with all of this made the girl feel quite ill, and she honestly didn't feel like thinking any of this over right now –  'At least I’m okay, that’s all that matters....' . Until the young girl was actually able to find out where she was and head back, her mind could ponder all the theories surrounding her survival later when she confronted the medic.

Izumi had been too busy staring at the ground and contemplating to notice what she was walking towards, and it was only when her muzzle bumped into something -- someone -- that Izumi's head finally snapped up in surprise. What….is….that?.

The crane could only fumble back clumsily and look in terror as she stared upon what had to be the largest, strangest-looking mountain lion she'd ever seen in her life...

the staff team luvs u
03-08-2021, 06:57 PM
Slowly adjusting, the cat's eyes grew accustomed to the bright glare of the landscape as the world itself took shape. 

Kuhn grimaced, squinting at a blurry figure approaching him not sure if his perception was failing.  The figure grew so close that he at once felt the sensation of a wet nose violently into his own with the force of a full stride. 

Suddenly, Kuhn's nose was full of the sent of wolf!   The tiger flung himself back a few feet into the air in a display of shock; kicking up the morning snow.  His eyes locked on to the the assailant,  still a bit blurry to see in much detail.  

Where there is one wolf, there is always more, there would always be another waiting in the wings ready to tear the tendon from your heel. 

The big cat pivoted around to guard his flank growling ferociously with fur standing on end but, nobody was there.
the staff team luvs u
03-10-2021, 03:07 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2021, 03:08 AM by Izumi. Edited 1 time in total.)
Awe I luv kuhn's new pfp <3

The sharp, violent movements of the large creature startled her more so, and the snow that flew two and fro left Izu further disoriented than she was. The girl's legs tumbled back further and her eyes shut to prevent any debris from flying into them, but things only got worse when the crane decided to open them again.

The striped cougar displayed his large, sharp molar's towards the crane, and a high-pitched yelp escaped her throat -- dark ears splayed against her skull, and posture caved in as if to protect her delicates. If waking up in the middle of nowhere was bad enough, then running into another threat of death did nothing to help the situation. Wolves cannot outrun cats, everyone knew that -- so what else was the princess to do in this situation?

All Izu could do was freeze and stare in fear -- and though her feet were practically frozen to the floor, she only hoped her body could move in time to run as fast as her long legs could carry her...

the staff team luvs u
03-10-2021, 04:06 AM
Fully adjusted to the light, the barren tundra landscape to his flank became apparent as he twisted around to meet his non existent foe, the lack of snarling wolves at his flank was a good sign but, a bit embarrassing.  

The fear began to fade from the cat's face as he snapped back around locking eyes to the slender wolf, he said nothing sniffing the sky, confirming that they where alone. 

Lightly arching his back and slowly padding closer, Kuhn looked over the slender wolf from head to toe tilting his head in curiosity, noting the odd build and white coat, with each leg and muzzle darkened.  

The massive cat could smell the fear on her, as she stood frozen in place.

Kuhn figured she would make an easy kill in this state but, figured there would be little point. Firstly, the taste of canine didn't sit well with him, nor did she look like she had much of a meal attached to her.  Most importantly, Kuhn had always had a respect for these hunters, preferring not to offend them as they where strong in number and for the most part, reasonable when solving disputes over hunting or territory. 

Besides, there is plenty of game to be had. 

The striped cat sighed, exhaling a large cloud of breath against the cold air.

"Uhh... I ... Hello?" He vocalized pensively, standing over the girl, twitching his tail to and fro, ears perked, awaiting a response.
the staff team luvs u
03-13-2021, 04:50 AM
She waited for a barrage of powerful paws to come baring down on her -- but they didn't come. She braced herself for the feeling of her nimble weight being flung into the air -- but her feet stayed ground. Not even a tooth from the feline's set of molars were pressed towards her, for the only thing Izumi would face was the settling of paws on the ground and a strangely gentle "Hello" from the tiger.

The crane didn't know what to be more suprised at: the fact that she could actually understand them, or that she was not dead yet -- her eyes settled on the striped beast with pure confusion while her chest continued to heave from that early adrenaline."W......what...?" A docile mountain lion....was it a trap? "You....aren't here to attack....me?"

the staff team luvs u
03-13-2021, 08:36 PM
Kuhn stood over the slender wolf, waiting for her to gain the composure to respond, as the wind swept over them, rolling over the barren landscape, and tearing into the nearby tree line. The cat had to practically shift his weight against the sudden gust to maintain his balance; the wind whipping his mane to one side along with bits of loose snow across the ground. 

Lightly tucking his ears back, Kuhn took a slow step forward, leaning his head in.   "Attack you?  - Oh... I don't eat wolf." The striped beast chuffed, sniffing the slender canine invasively; near her face.   "Usually.", He added, noting the scent of a female wolf, but a bit different, with unfamiliar floral notes.  

Quickly pulling his head back, realizing his lack of manors, Kuhn stammered, "Err.. I mean... you don't have to worry, I don't hunt... them."
the staff team luvs u
03-14-2021, 02:13 AM
So he wasn't attacking....

Strangely enough, this fact made Izu a little more nervous than before -- an outcome like this was not expected to happen. This was the first time she'd be talking to a non-wolven creature and she wasn't even aware that there were ones out there that even spoke common. Perhaps he was telling the truth?

Izu still wanted to keep her distance, however, just in case, and that's what she did for the time being.

"I...." After opening and closing her mouth repeatedly to find the words to say, her shakey voice finally leaked out to respond to the striped predator. Fearful, yes, but now a spark of curiosity drew her to start asking questions about him. "I...I've never met a mountain lion that looked like you before. I haven't really talked to one either -- I didn't know we'd be able to understand each other, and just assumed you were attacking..."

the staff team luvs u
03-14-2021, 03:10 AM
Kuhn saw the canine take some distance between them.  He understood that he was making her uncomfortable.  The tiger sat down, trying to respect her distance, and appear less threatening, though he did find the fear a bit amusing.   

"Attacking? Mountain.... Lion? ", Replied the cat, taking a moment to think about these things, an ear twitching.  Kuhn looked to the left and right looking for mountains.  "Is that what your kind calls us, mountain lion?", the tiger continued, looking more and more confused, holding his head at an angle.    

"I wasn't sure you would even respond, honestly I'm not even sure where I am?"
the staff team luvs u
03-20-2021, 04:45 AM
Though the two could understand each other perfectly, there seemed to be some sort of confusion along the lines of her own speech that he was not really getting. Was she mistaken before about him being a mountain lion? It wouldn’t be a surprise since the crane had never seen someone like him before, but if so, just who was he? “Was…...was I mistaken? Are you not a cougar?” She asked in a soft and unsure voice, and soon enough her fear was being consumed by her yearning to know more -- especially with his next words.

Audits would perk up at his statement, and before Izu knew it she was invading the feline’s personal space by walking up to interrogate him “Neither do I! Erm, I mean….I’m not sure where I am either. This is where I woke up….” The crane nearly lost the calmed composure she always carried with her there, but a desperation to find out what had happened to her while unconscious made Izu desperate. Perhaps his confusion was similar to her own......

the staff team luvs u
03-20-2021, 09:29 PM
The big cat cocked his head a bit confused but, willing to sit through it.  "I guess I could be a cougar? Is that the same thing as a mountain lion?" The cat responded with a rough voice and a questioning tone.

The wind once again pushed up against the duo, lodging bits of snow in the tiger's striped coat.  When the wind subsided Kuhn closed his eyes and shook out his mane, giving it a fresh fluff. Upon opening his eyes back up, the slender wolf was right up on with a curious demeanor. Kuhn tensed his muscles momentary, cocking his head back sitting up a bit taller.  Pulling his tail close to his body, he noted that the wolf had lost fear of him.  "Honestly, I just woke up here too...", He replied, talking across his own chest at the wolf.  "I just know that I am me, my name is Kuhn."  The fact that she had lost her fear of him, was probably a good thing, they seemed to be in a similar situation, maybe they could figure something out.  

The wind once again roared over the open terrain, throwing sleet and snow at the duo as they stood.
the staff team luvs u
03-27-2021, 03:22 AM
Khun.... a name that sounded almost like the honorific, and as such it was a name that slipped easily off her tounge. Khun had willingly revealed his title to the crane, and even took up a conversation with her despite the rocky start. This was someone with a name, an identity, and words to tell his story just as any other wolf -- and realizing all this now made Izumi start to feel guilty about her initial perception of the tom.

In graceful sweeps of motion, the bi-colored femora would take some steps back and dip her head respectfully towards him. Khun, it is nice to meet you. You may call me Izumi... she said softly raising her violet gaze to meet his own again as she straightened up. Now that the two knew each other and what the situation was between them, she felt no need to show the very fear that separated their sides of the animal kingdom -- Khun was not here to harm her, she trusted that. We seem to be in the same predicament, you and I. I woke up thinking I had died, and now I'm in a land I can't even recognize. Separated from my pack.

Now the attention was back on the striped feline. Izu was curious to whatever story he had to share before waking up -- did he remember anything at all?

the staff team luvs u
03-29-2021, 03:43 AM
"Izumi..."  The name had un unfamiliar ring, the great cat sat there thinking momentarily twitching an ear as he did so. He watched intently as she made a graceful gesture towards him, unsure of its meaning but assumedly friendly.  "I just woke up here too, I remember voices, almost a poem." 

Relaxing a bit more, the tiger relaxed the large muscles in his shoulders and back calming his posture, bringing his head more to the level of the slender lupine but, still looking to the sky. "Something like: if that tale be true... than the soul is not destroyed, but comes again to draw breath in another world, for if that tale be true than death is but a point in the midst of a long life..."  His eyes snapped from the sky to the graceful lupine. 

"Oh, it's good to meet you as well." He continued standing up taking a step forward, leaning in with his forehead for the typical feline greeting, assuming she would do the same .
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 06:46 PM
Izu's dark brows would furrow a bit upon hearing his statement -- "Voices, you say?" Like, the voice she'd heard upon waking up? Was she not going crazy or was he talking about something completely different? Or maybe she....was going crazy -- and what she heard before was just some hallucination...

She decided not to mention it.

The crane didn't stop there though, and continued to listen to the tom's speech when he spoke again. His words weren't something she'd ever thought of in a situation like this, although intriguing nonetheless. Another world? Is that where the both of them had ended up? In different bodies of the same soul? Her lip parted to inquired further out of curiosity, though by the time she turned to him again, Khun had inched closer and nearly scared the life out of her.

She was confused by this foreign gesture, but didn't assume it was anything that would be harmful to her. The crane simply stood, rather stiffly and confused on how to return the gesture, while Khun pressed his head against her own forehead. Was she....supposed to stay still like this?

the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 07:14 PM
Kuhn brushed his forehead against the the slender wolf's as she stood there, cluelessly.  The tiger circled back around padding in a half circle to once again face the crane, noting her odd reaction.

"Ya that probably sounded crazy didn't it?  Voices."   

The wind once again without much warning whipped across the semi barren landscape lashing out at the duo throwing loose snow from its rest, forcing even the large cat to brace against its assault.  

After a moment the word seemed to settle from its shuttering.  The the cat was secretly glad that she had shed her fear of him, the truth was he felt lost and out of control in this strange world, it would help to have another soul to help shoulder the burden. 

"Do you have a pack?"
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 08:00 PM
The...'head bumping'  stopped, and she'd lift her muzzle again where she stood and blinked. A rather strange greeting, one that invoked a sense of intimacy that the princess wasn't really used to receiving from anyone outside of family -- perhaps it was because she never went out of her way to make freinds back then, or closed herself off from any form of attachment in general. Either way, Izu shuffled rather akwardly afterwards. 'Voices' -- yes, that might've been the reason for her discomfort, let's leave it at that....

The young crane shuddered a bit when a cold wind came passing through the frosted landscape, and it took a moment for her to retain some body heat back before she could reply. "I do actually....well, at least I think I did before I ended up here...." His previous statement about waking up in a different world, while striking a part of the fae as superstitious at first,  did have her thinking if the search for the others would be in vain. Had she truly woken up in the afterlife? It wouldn't be hard to believe since her death felt so....real. "I hail from a pack named Kaistleoki. We reside in the plains of the Teekons."

the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 08:56 PM
Huffing momentarily, Kuhn had the suspicion that he may have offended the slender lupine, thinking that his social skills of a solitary feline may have been inadequate.  The cat shrugged off the thought, figuring that there is not much he could do about it now.  

The striped cat shook out his coat once more, dislodging the invasive snow in an attempt to stay dry. "Kaisteell...oki? Teakons? Im sorry... but I don't think I have heard of it."

"Who knows, maybe they will show up? Besides, we should get somewhere warmer...  You are a bit skinny to be dealing with cold like this" 

The tom turned around taking only one step before the familiar pang of regret struck him, awarding him with a knot in his stomach, as he had likely insulted the slender lupine.   He kept his gaze on a potential destination, not turning to look at her, and betraying his... embarrassment, hoping she would follow without much event.  Though his tail swished nervously back and forth behind him.
the staff team luvs u
04-10-2021, 01:00 PM
Izumi's indifference towards his presence may have been apparent, but in reality she didn't really mind the company, nor his means of communication. The crane was still cautious about putting her full trust in a stranger she had just met today, of course,  but a deep part of herself wanted to believe that Khun was a good person -- the same part of her that yearned for someone else's assistance and companionship during a time where she couldn't wrap her head around anything or have anyone else to turn to. Though, that was never something the girl would never show....

Unfortunately, he seemed to have no knowledge of the pack Izu was once a part of, which was kinda a let down since she'd been stuck in the middle of a tundra. Nevertheless, the striped Tom offered his help asking to follow him, and as he turned around, the princess wasted no time trotting after him......but......what?

'Skinny?'

The issue probably wasn't meant as an insult and wasn't taken as such, but the woman was secretly insecure as it was and it didn't stop her from pausing to check out her own figure for a moment. Upon realizing what she was doing, however, Izu turned back around with her head lowered and her face heating up in embarrassment. 

With her white tassle wrapped almost 'protectively' against her hip and head still sulking, Izu slowly continued to follow suit with the feline. Though not without mumbling "I'm not that skinny...." to herself...

the staff team luvs u
04-11-2021, 05:49 PM
The cat's face crinkled in embarrassment, turned away from the slender crane; to conceal his shame as he padded across the open tundra making his way to a rock outcropping uphill form their current windswept basin.   As the pair walked onward the tips of tall pines became apparent, peeking out from beyond the hills.  The dark morning light was punctuated by the gentle dance of the northern lights, flickering in some unknown plane beyond that of even the clouds.   

The walk was almost surreal, not remembering anything, besides that of moments ago.  The silence of the land was only broken by the occasional moaning of the wind, and the crunch of their paws on the morning snow.  Despite the beautiful sites, the tiger was interrupted by thoughts of his own rudeness.

The trees of the Everfrost began to fully reveal themselves as the duo pressed onward out of the barren basin below.  After minutes more of silence Kuhn couldn't not bear to at least try to apologize.  He big cat looked over his shoulder at the princess before speaking.

"Um... earlier, calling you skinny, I shouldn't have done that, never know how strangers are going to take it... its just compared to... Sorry." 

Unlike the wolves, Kuhn, a mostly solitary creature was not overly accustomed to conversing with those around him often, and he knew this.
the staff team luvs u
04-12-2021, 11:22 PM
There was an awkward silence that followed as the pair strolled through the evergreens together, following the trail of large pawprints he left behind him. That's strange.....Why wasn't he saying anything?

Crisp winds blew through her silken coat as the walked, and though these spontaneous burst of air sent chills throughout her body, they were strangely relaxing against the crane's skin. Then her gaze would trail upwards, and what reflected off of her violet hues was a spectacle of vibrant lights she had never seen before. For the remainder of their journey would the young woman's gaze be casted to the sky, and her lips parted slightly -- not to speak -- but to stare in awe at the mystical dancing of  galactic lights.

Only when frost crested trees began covering her view of the sky would Izumi finally cast her glance back in front of her, only to see the stripped tom looking back for a reason she did not know at first, but as he spoke, she remembered the events that happened before getting distracted by nature's display. Ah, right..... "It's okay Khun, I didn't mean to worry you about it...." She responded calmly, as if what bothered her moments ago never happened. As a matter of fact, the male didn't really mean it as an insult, did he? Perhaps she just read things wrong. No one could help her internalized insecurities after all, and she never really wished to burden others with things she kept private anyways. 

If anything, she was more interested in what initially distracted her. Will changing the subject release a bit of this tension? "I haven't really grown up in a biome like this, where the snow is thick despite the absence of winter...." The crane begun, swerving around and striding at a faster pace until she was walking beside the tom instead of behind. "-and i don't think I've ever seen anything like this before appear in the sky. Have you?"

the staff team luvs u
04-13-2021, 06:06 AM
A wash of relief came over the large cat's face, as the slender crane released him from his worry.  The sigh of relief from the tom coalesced as a large cloud of breath intruding against the cold air around.  Kuhn sent the crane a small almost unnoticeable simile, before continuing his padding through the snow. 

Now he could finally enjoy them, the lights in the sky. So, the cat took a moment between long strides to admire them, looking to the heavens in wonder as he continued his pace, for now everything was right with the world.

"I'm not sure where I came from... though these lights and the snow seem familiar somehow. One day I want to find out where they come from, the lights." He answered, looking at Izumi directly to his left, seeing the reflection of the great lights in her purple, almost feline like eyes. "Don't you want to chase them, far past the horizon?"
the staff team luvs u
04-15-2021, 03:06 PM
Wind continued to blow wisp of snow that stuck to her fur, though she didn't really bother shaking it off until it started getting into her eyes. Izumi wasn't lying when she said she never grew up in a biome like this -- the grove always had beams of sunlight cascading from the cracks of periwinkle petals, and not even winter was anything greater than a few rare cold spells and some wind. The only times Izu experienced the full brunt of  how nasty winter could get was when her and her siblings were dragged into another one of their parent's diplomat field trips up north. Never again....

Khun wasn't aware of this phenomenon involving galactic strobes either, and yet shared the same curiosities as she did all the same: To chase them. Follow the unknown and discover for herself. Casting a brief glance to the heavens in deep thought, the princess would lower her cranium to look at Kuhn again. "Chasing them beyond the horizon.....sounds rather ambitious, wouldn't you say?" she begun, the faintest of curious smiles appearing on her usually placid features. "Lights in the sky like these almost seem god-like, as if they're in the hands of a creator that wouldn't want us land-dwelling beast messing with them. It almost makes you envy the animals gifted with flight that can experience everything up close and personal but...."

Izu took a moment to exhale a condensed breath. Honestly, not even she knew what she was talking about at this point, nor was believing in any theoretical gods of lore her thing. Though that didn't mean the thought never intrigued her."Perhaps there are just some things in nature that were never meant to be chased. Only admired from a distance...."

the staff team luvs u
04-16-2021, 11:56 PM
Arriving at  the treeline of the towering Everfrost, the wind became suddenly less harsh. Kuhn could take a moment in comfort, shaking out his coat, enjoying the lack of wind-chill.  He was used to the cold, in fact he kind of enjoyed it, though he dreaded sleeping in it, relishing the bitter sting of the cold as an exercised in wakefulness.

Shaking off the last bits of wind flung snow, the tom stretched out his massive frame dipping into a bowing posture, adjusting his muscle packed shoulders, releasing his hips, to the tip of his tail.  Taking the opposite posture he arched his back, stretching out in reverse, pressing his lower back to the sky, growling contently while kneading his claws into the earth. 

"Ya it would be ambitious.  But, can't you help but wonder?" He replied, looking to the cosmic display in the sky, his eyes lit by the multitudes of the heavens. "I don't think I would trade my paws for wings" He smiled, looking at his own paws, still kneading his claws into the earth. 

"I'm not sure I would be any happier being able to glide on the winds, I'm sure if I where born that way I would take that for granted.  Though, who is to say that we where not meant to know, and even if... who is to say we can't. "
the staff team luvs u
04-30-2021, 11:04 PM
Wrapping up!

'Who is to say we can't?' Khun spoke, and with those lines, she took a moment to pause. Finding out more about something we can't even reach sounded nothing more than fictional in the young crane's book, but...was it entirely impossible? Well of course it did -- terrestrial beings like them weren't granted the gift of flight or the privilege to peak beyond the clouds, but the stripped tom's words resonated a suppressed part of her: the desire to reach what she thought she couldn't.

It was normal for Izumi to lay low under the radar and trap herself in a bubble in order to....protect herself. From the insecurities she felt around her family, the children her age who took advantage of her low self-esteem, and the disappointment she felt seeping out the minds of her clanmates every time they looked at her. The girl felt that as long as she sheltered her heart from those with the potential to hurt it, then nothing bad would happen as she feared.

Yet there was a small, more ambitious part of her that felt otherwise. One that wanted to prove the doubts of others wrong, and become a better version of what she could've been in a world that frightened her so...

A glance was cast back at Khun, and she'd continue following the path beside him. Whether they spent the rest of the time bickering about the sky still didn't matter to her, because she'd be content with the conversations of a newfound friend until their paths eventually diverged...

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top