Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Ψ · Let's roll

Afternoon Partly Cloudy
AW
09-30-2021, 01:20 AM

Once upon a time, there was a bird.

A bird who watched, amused, as a wolf circled below. It watched as she scratched at the tree it roosted on, a shiny object clutched in its beak. It had stolen it from her, you see, and had decided that teasing her was the best course of action. It clucked, tossed its head this way and that, scanned the shiny thing it had claimed from her. It was a long, oval stone that glittered from within, though cracks splintered across it, both old and new.

Meissa growled at it from below but the creature just laughed, pretending not to see, not to know she was below. She bared her teeth and spun, ears pinned back in irritation. She'd found that stone and had wanted to bring it back home to her lover. Instead, a greedy bird had claimed it from her grasp.

She sat, glaring at the bird.

the staff team luvs u
09-30-2021, 06:43 PM
 "Why ya twirlin' at it like that?" Nimbus was basically summoned by the funny misfortune of others, head cocked to the side as those big satellite dish ears caught the laughter the bird was spitting. How rude of the bird, but she laughed too, watching the water balloon woman spin. "Lettin' em talk smack to you, gonna stand for it?" She asked a question but she was already spinning at it too, maybe the woman knew something she didn't. "Give us the rock and we'll stop spinning!"  Ladies had to stick together, after all! She didn't know who this was but she was her friend now because that was the law of the dog.

"Gettin' dizzy yet, birdo? Check out these sick moves!" Nimbus hit em with a few fluffy butt shakes, barking and spinning. "I'm Nimbus! Get it? Like the cloud! Ha!" Tail, butt? I guess her whole butt was wagging because she didn't have a tail, did she? She wagged at the woman, marching up with a salute. "Uh... Why are we spinning? And why are you out here alone... Pregnant?" Oh! She was pregnant! They were gonna be best friends! Nimbus loved babies! Had she met any? No! But she loved them!

the staff team luvs u
09-30-2021, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2021, 09:27 PM by Meissa. Edited 1 time in total.)

Another voice, soft, female, and distinctly not wolf rang in her ears. Meissa stopped, panting, and looked around for the source of the sound. Her seeking didn't turn up with an answer just yet, though the voice continued and finally she spotted a small, fluffy creature with vaguely wolflike features but altogether very different. A dog! Curious, the woman tilted her head and peered at the soft greys and cream of the girl and her bright eyes. She was adorable - if the voice hadn't been any clearer, Meissa would have thought she was a pup.

The dog was going on and Meissa grinned, looking back at the bird and offering it a word of rudeness in a bark.

“If I had wings, he'd be toast by now!” How a wolf from a time before toasters knew the word toast was beyond her, but let's not go into specifics. “I got that rock for my fiancé, not for some bird-brain!” The crow chattered at her, as if answering. The queen regarded him, head jerking back as if offended by his squawks though she had no idea what it was saying.

She couldn't help but smile. “He likes shiny rocks, he has a collection.” Squint at the bird. “Which would have just grown by one.

She looked back at Nimbus, plopping down on her butt with a sigh. “Nice to meet you, Nimbus. I'm Meissa.” No hiding her name, she highly doubted this girl was a danger. “I came out here for a walk, stretch my legs and stuff. Found a pretty stone I wanted to bring back to my soon-to-be-husband. And ah... not too long til I'm stuck in the den with the littles,” she said with a laugh. She wasn't especially looking forward to the time when she'd not be able to even leave the den for more than a quick squat without fear of them freezing without her at their side. Nor was she super excited for the actual act of the birth... but she was excited to see them. To see how they would grow.

Would they be tall and lanky, like her beloved? Would they be built like brick houses, like their mom? Or would they be -

Meissa looked back at the dog with raised brows, curious. “What about you, Nimbus?” Then her head tilted slightly, “Is it rude to ask - what are you? Dog, I think, but I've never seen one that looks like you.” The dogs she'd known, she'd fought to survive, well. They'd been barely shifted from their wolven ancestors.

the staff team luvs u
10-06-2021, 02:57 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2021, 02:58 AM by Nimbus. Edited 1 time in total.)
 She bounced and jumped, and even twirled! Oh, boy was she excited! The giant colorful lady with the little doggy tag in her nose seemed so friendly! She had told her what her name was and confirmed she was having puppies, and she even had whatever a husband was! Or, a soon-to-be one! "I like your name! I've never heard it before so it's gotta be good!" She also felt the same way about curse words! Her favorite one to say as of now was fiddlesticks!

"Oh, yep! I'm a dog but if you can't tell, I'm in training to be a wolf! Gotta find a pack first, though!" Wiggling her eyebrows, waddling closer at a surprisingly fast speed before sitting on her rump. "But the other wolves are mean, they're sort of plain lookin' too... I don't think they like me cuz I'm smarter than them." Or shorter, maybe a bit slower, she didn't know, but she didn't care, she was just happy to be here! "Wait... If you have puppies... That means you have a mate... This means you have a pack!" Right? Right!

the staff team luvs u
10-10-2021, 01:43 AM

Meissa chuckled softly at the pup's compliments on her name. A good name, simply for being unheard of before? What a strange little hound this one was, Meissa thought not unkindly. She listened curiously as Nimbus went on to explain her heritage a bit and talk about training to be a wolf. The woman's head tilted slightly at this. Training to be a wolf? Oh, bless her heart. “I do have a pack and a mate and soon to be puppies,” she said with a chuckle.

She didn't see any harm in letting Nimbus in on this information, especially if the girl was looking for a pack to join.

Yet, a little part of her mind cried out in warning. Despite the friendly nature of the girl, her abundance of playful chattery and childlike demeanor... Meissa could not help but wonder how trustworthy the dog was. She highly doubted any of the wolves they had trouble with would befriend such a creature, but who knew if that was what they were leaning on? The queen pushed this from her mind to focus solely on the girl, considering her. “Nimbus, what sort of skills could you bring to a pack?” She'd ignore the "training to be a wolf" part for now, still confused about what would have put that into the dog's mind.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top