Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Ψ · in the Thunderbird

Morning Sunny/Clear
AW
09-30-2021, 01:14 AM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2021, 01:15 AM by Meissa.)

The woman was on the move, unaware of the events within her region. She moved, ignoring the sounds of heavy footsteps further south. Meissa was vaguely aware of herd movements, possibly migrations due to the weather changing. Did many mammals migrate when winter came or was that a thing that birds did?

She found herself at a location she'd been once before.

Unfortunately, the scents she'd smelled that day were long gone. More recent were brief scents of her mate and the man named Borealis, but they didn't smell like they were from that day. The woman moved along the shore until she reached the watering hole, where she settled onto her stomach and began lapping at the water.

the staff team luvs u
10-01-2021, 05:25 PM
"Howdy-ho neighborino!"

It wasn't the most eloquent of greetings, but Midnight wasn't the most eloquent of women. Sure, she moved like she was dressed in the finest evening gown and looked almost to be floating instead of walking, but beyond that? Midnight wasn't terribly sophisticated. She had no reason to be and introducing herself to a stranger was no exception.

"Name's Midnight, just started explorin' around here. Nice ta meetcha." Midnight didn't even give the woman a chance to say anything before she dove into conversation, assuming merrily that anyone would be delighted to chat with her. "Say, where's the best place around here to pick up some fellas? This gal is getting tired of not having a beau, y'know? C'mon, get me food, man-bitch." Midnight barked a laugh and offered a good natured wag of her tail, grinning.

the staff team luvs u
10-01-2021, 06:13 PM

A voice threw her from her thoughts and Meissa looked up, blinking at the shadowy stranger who came up to her and began chattering away. The queen made a quick check of surroundings before looking back at the woman who called herself Midnight. She swallowed the last of the water in her mouth and offered a bit of a confused smile.

Midnight went on to talk about picking up fellas, calling a beau a "man-bitch." This caused Meissa to tense her jaw slightly.

“Ah, hi, you can call me Mei,” she said, blinking away the confusion. “Only men 'round these parts are either gay, old, practically babies, or married.” Last bit was a slight lie of omission, but when women showed up asking to pick up "man-bitches," the woman didn't want to make any lee-way for someone to show up and start hitting on Flynn. After all, the last time that had happened, she'd had to get her claws dirty.

She smiled thoughtfully and waved her nose towards the distant mountains. “Met a guy who seemed nice in passing bout a... month or two back. Said he lived in Empyrean, that way.”

the staff team luvs u
10-01-2021, 06:25 PM
As far as reactions could have gone, Midnight was pleasantly surprised by Meissa's. Not many were quite as kind in their response when a bumbling moron sauntered up to them and began prattling away, so the loner knew immediately she was good people. Either good people or gold at acting like gold people, she wasn't entirely sure. It didn't truly matter at the moment.

"That's quite a variety," the she-wolf observed, though truth be told, she hadn't actually shown up to cruise for men. In all honesty, Midnight was simply awkward and had a tendency to get flustered when meeting someone new. The best cure had always been to shut off her brain and let her mouth take control, thus whatever verbal vomit came to her tongue first was what came out. This time, it was man bitches.

Her eyes drifted to the mountains that Mei had indicated, scrutinizing them for a brief moment. "Eh," the gal mumbled noncommittally. "Packs are messy." Obviously she'd never had a pleasant experience with one or else her tune may have changed, but she wasn't blind enough not to notice the scent of one on Mei's pelt. "Truth be told I just kinda don't know where I am. Or where this is.. and I'm just tryin' to navigate blindly as best I can, y'know?"

the staff team luvs u
10-10-2021, 01:01 AM

She gave a little laugh and a shrug. “A variety indeed.” Still nervous of the other's intentions, she shifted, craning her neck to stretch it while also using that moment to take a glance around, checking for others who might be wandering about. The girl didn't smell of other wolves but one could be deceived if they weren't careful. When Midnight decried packs, the woman couldn't help but chuckle and nod.

“They sure can be. Nice to have one, though, means you always have someone watching your back.” She, of course, had Flynn always somewhere close at hand. Especially now, with her pregnancy growing heavier by the day - yet she had never felt the itches of wanderlust as much as now. It was ironic and deeply unsettling for her betrothed, she was sure.

It had to be exhausting him.

At the last bit, she gave a nod. “Well, I think this place is just called the watering hole, but the whole of the plains - don't think it has a real name. When they do... it's mostly where packs gather and can name them.” That's how the Hiraeth had been named - Little Haven had claimed it and made it known to... whoever came close enough to be told. “Navigating blindly? I was that way for a while.” She'd only recently found true purpose.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top