Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
A dangerous plan, just this time

P
Discovery
03-02-2021, 05:00 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2021, 05:13 AM by Persephonee. Edited 1 time in total.)
Tag for reference! You are welcome to join if you like though <3

Exploring the forest alone was... Thrilling, in a way. Nerve-wracking in others, but Persephone was an adult and didn't need someone else around all the time. Even if she did enjoy @Hades company, Persephone had taken this chance to set off on her own, departing as first light had broken over the lake. While she hoped he didn't worry, for the first time in her life, Persephone resisted the urge to tell someone else where she was going. Mother wasn't here, and the Druids weren't either, so...

The swath of forest seemed to stretch on endlessly, dainty paws carrying her along the river Hades had pointed out to her until she was past where they had explored. Here, the trees seemed so much bigger, the shadows longer, the forest quieter. It was almost creepy, though she refused to be driven off by her own nerves, instead continuing her venture down river, noting the few plants she saw and doing her best to identify them. 

It wasn't until she caught the scent of a creature she had never smelled before that Persephone broke from this routine, following the trail until she spotted a tall thing standing on stilted legs. It almost looked like a deer but it was so much bigger. There were no antlers to attack her with, but that didn't mean it wasn't dangerous. Ears back against her head for a moment, Persephone debated back and forth before chuffing softly, hoping to grab the Stilt Monster's attention without startling it. At the very least, she was a fair distance away so she could still run, if she needed to.
the staff team luvs u
03-02-2021, 07:22 AM
— Just a snippet (mostly so I can get alerts and enjoy this thread XD) but if you'd like him to show feel free to tag me again! <3

It was surprising how easily they'd found a rhythm. They were often together and he'd found a balance he didn't usually get. They'd both gotten more confident the longer and longer they spent in the forest. When they'd parted he had left with a promise to take down a kill for them since they'd finished off the majority of the doe he'd taken down earlier. If he'd come home and found her gone he'd only worry slightly - he didn't own her, he wasn't her keeper. When his hunt took him a bit further than planned he let out a short howl just to let her know he'd still be near. Maybe he'd try fishing - he hadn't brought her fish yet, after all.
the staff team luvs u
03-02-2021, 06:35 PM
woopwoop lunch post
also, lol Stilt Monster

It was a pleasant day. Rooting around in a grove within the forest, Medaris searched for young roots and grasses away from her herd for yet another day. She hadn't appreciated the way any of them had been behaving so nonchalantly about the recent influx of canines into their turf. She didn't understand what had happened that the powers that be decided to dump piles of wolves into her forests and grasslands. And, speaking of this terrible idea, she also didn't understand why a wolf was making noises at her.

Medaris turned, mouth full of shitty winter grass. She snorted, one ear rotating in annoyance. “What?” she asked bluntly after swallowing.

the staff team luvs u
03-07-2021, 05:53 AM
The Stilt Monsters response was harsh, unfavorable. Her ears flicked back against her head, staring at the rcreature in both awe and fear. “What... What are you?” She asked gently, shrinking a touch so that she might appease the creature. She was so large and so savagely beautiful. Persephone had never seen anything like her. Strong muscles and windswept fur and an attitude that told Persephone that she would would take no prisoners. She reminded her of the times she'd seen her mother in such a Savage nature. In her mother, it was something Persephone wanted to avoid, but in this beast, tyhe little spring wolf found herself absolutely fascinated.
the staff team luvs u
[Image: 32742104_CtCyQBtRsKxdbdr.gif]
— Hades is welcome in any thread Persephone is in, and, may powerplay her if the need is there
— Mother, please stay out of my threads :c
03-07-2021, 07:53 PM
Medaris chewed, turning and stepping toward the little wolf. The closer she got, the more the pinto thought about how easy it would be to kill the little beast with a simple and swift kick to the face. She smiled to herself, though had no actual desire for wolf murder that day. “A mustang. I would have thought a little country beast like you would know a damn horse when you saw one,” she gutted harshly, snorting and flicking her burr-ridden tail along her flank.

Whatever the reason for this influx of canines, Medaris was going to use it to have fun in the only way she knew how. One wolf could not possibly threaten her. She was too large, too smart, and far too aggressive. The white-faced maiden from Hell nickered at the pink-eyed stranger — her horse way of saying, yes, look at me in all of my goddamn glory.

the staff team luvs u
03-08-2021, 10:30 PM
A mustang. Wow, She thought, awe glittering in her eyes as she regarded the mustang. If the little honey wolf was scared, she didn't show it, tail waving gently behind her even as the creature spat venom. “I have never seen a horse before now! A deer, yes, but I don't think you look very much alike.” Other than the hooves, really. There were no antlers, and the mustang was much bigger than any deer she'd seen.

“Have you lived here a long time?” Came her next question, trying very hard to pace her questions and not barrage the horse with too many at once.
the staff team luvs u
— Hades is welcome in any thread Persephone is in, and, may powerplay her if the need is there
03-09-2021, 07:01 AM
Medaris snorted at the mention of deer. She didn't enjoy being compared so casually to such a dim-witted animal. Deer were little more than pests to her, although occasionally their massive ears and eyes were useful in the protection of the herd. They were a fabulous early warning system, but no more than pets as far as the mare was concerned. She supposed if she thought about it, dumber animals might think the two somehow alike. They were both tall.

“Duh,” she sneered at the question, rounding to the side so that the wolf might be able to view her sheer size in its ultimate glory. Though she wasn't a particularly large mare, especially for a mustang, she towered over the little wolf just the same. “Little wolf, I've been here since time began,” she half-truthed. The mustangs of her herd believed that their souls were tied to the land, and that every child born to them was merely a continuation of prior existence. “And you?”

the staff team luvs u
03-09-2021, 07:10 AM
Bubblegum eyes followed the mare's movements, still not moving from her spot where her belly touched the ground. She wasn't quite cowering, but at the same time, Persephone found herself not wanting to make any sudden movements. Since time began! The mustang must be so old, and yet she was still so spry! “I woke up on the shore of the lake a few days ago. Me, and my companion. Neither of us remember how we got here.” Was there a chance that the horse could tell her? Especially if she'd been living here so long. Perhaps in a little while, Persephone might ask that very question.

“I'm Persephone,” The little female offered, slowly rising to her feet so that she could stretch out her legs. “My companion is Hades.” He wasn't here now, of course, but that was besides the point. “What's your name?”
the staff team luvs u
03-15-2021, 08:30 AM
The longer they interacted, the more powerful Medaris felt. She did a bit of a dance with her heels, striking the earth with heavy hooves for no other reason than to show off her sheer power to the little wolf. It felt strangely good to be respected by a stranger, and the mustang relished in the attention. Evidently, she and her companion Hades had woken upon the shoreline not far from there. This didn't make sense to Medaris, but she thought little of it.

The elders had spoken stories of those who had woken in similar ways in these lands. Her kind were not among them, at least not that she'd ever heard of. “I am Medaris,” she answered, finding her guard down as the strange eyes of the little wolf found something of gentility in her normally harsh self. Her head dipped as she sniffed at the little wolf. Persephone. “Your herd will not succeed if you hunt ours. We are too many and too powerful,” she added matter-of-factly, hoping that she might deter the little wolf and her herd from attempting something stupid. She would hate to have to kill this... strangely sweet-eyed creature.

the staff team luvs u
03-18-2021, 05:26 AM
Medaris. She had never heard a name like it, and looking up at the savage horse, Persephone decided that the name was fitting for her. An unusual name for an unusual creature. “Oh, I wouldn't dream of it,” She promised quickly. She had seen the way those hooves had stricken the ground, and remembered vividly the time one of the Druids had been attacked by a buck, injured by its hooves. Medaris was surely stronger than a dear. “I will tell my companion to leave your herd alone, as well. Is that what you call a pack?” The question was tacked on as an afterthought, settling on her dappled haunches to sit before the mustang.
the staff team luvs u
03-23-2021, 06:04 AM
“Good.” Medaris snorted. Though she and her herd had never before been attacked by wolves, as previously there had been none apart from the wild dogs, she didn't want to test her prowess against them. Particularly when foaling season came, she knew that all things with sharp teeth would find the scent irresistible. Persephone and her kind, no matter how dim-witted, would be no exception.

Medaris was thankful at least, then, that she would not foal this season. The influx of canines made her nervous for the future. “Packs, herds, flocks — they're all the same. Mine roams far, and we are many. And you? Just you and your little companion?” Medaris lied. They were not many. They did not roam wide. They stuck to a handful of small terrain near this space. The younger mares would likely abandon her to be herded by some stallion elsewhere for breeding rights. Medaris was far too stubborn for that.

the staff team luvs u
03-23-2021, 06:33 AM
It was just a name for a group of animals, then. It didn't matter what they were. Persephone was glad to learn something new, somethings new. Again, Medaris spoke of how large her herd was and the petite wolf found no reason to suspect anything different. The way the horse said "little companion" didn't quite sit right with her, but she forged onwards, ignoring what was quite possibly a jab. “Yes, just us. I'm not sure if we'll move on or stay here but we've just been exploring the forest for now.” It had only been a few days but so far, the forest had been good to them. Exciting, plentiful, enthralling. So far, the young wolf loved it.

“Is there anything we should know about the forest, Medaris? Or anything in the area?” It couldn't hurt to ask, and if she could find information about the area, then all the better.
the staff team luvs u
04-13-2021, 03:37 AM
Canines always thought they owned everything. They were quite happy to just piss all over everything and decide that their urine made it theirs. Cats were equally obnoxious about this habit, although at least they were a little quieter. Still, despite herself, Medaris didn't mind the little wolf. She remained wary of what the intrusion into the woods meant for others of her kind.

“The river that flows from the north leads to the sea, if you follow it the whole way. My herd and others like me roam the cove beside it in the grasslands. You'd do well to never bring yours too close — I doubt our stallions would take kindly to it.” She threatened again, finding this point important if the wolves were here to stay. The mustangs had long enjoyed a life without very many large predators, apart from the mountain lions. Things were clearly about to change.

Medaris made to move off then. She did not say goodbye or offer niceties.

the staff team luvs u
04-13-2021, 04:08 AM
The little wolf watched the stilt-monster turn on her heels and leave, head tilting curiously before she looked to the north. The sea? Persephone had never seen the sea. She wondered if Hades would go with her and decided she would ask him one day. For now, she would go back to exploring, excited to tell him about the mustang she had met.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top