Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Group Only
I always want you when I'm coming down...

Midnight
Group Only
08-26-2021, 02:17 PM

His gaze was lightened by the stars, tonight.
The stilt-legged creature was paused for not. No consideration of hunger, of the pack, of even killing any one of them. The stars had decided to have a conversation with him, and deciding it was important, he obliged. Dead blues stared up at the sky above, as they stared down at him, below. Occasional twinkles and winks wrinkled his face into something of a mediocre smile, while other sprinkles and sparkles pulled his amusement into thoughtfulness. His dream was a strange one, but if what the Red One had said was correct, and redoable, he might achieve something that would bring him rest.

The stars, once again, laughed at him. The ridicule was absolute, and unwavering. But Scarecrow did not hide it away in shame, or even malice. His jitters would stop, one day. His thirst for vengeance would quell. His peace would come. For now, he must toll the suffering and bless whom he could, until he could not. He would...for now.

Finally, the stars quieted down, as his twitching slowly returned.
the staff team luvs u
Sanatorium
08-27-2021, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2021, 06:51 PM by Exalted. Edited 1 time in total.)
 She had seen him playing with one of the things before, so she assumed that he liked them or something. Who would turn down meat, anyway? The girl had spent a better part of the night rooting around in the desert sands, sniffing and digging until she'd found a lizard. She'd bit the thing, killing it quickly and carried it around with her while she attacked various little creatures of the sand for sustenance.

After a while, she would travel back to the Eye. She stood high on the canyon walls, looking down into the sands below. She could see him there, the person that she'd gotten the lizard for.

So, with massive paws the yearling would make her way down into their home and march right up to the stilty-wolf-thing. For a moment she would simply stare and then from her mouth she would drop the lizard next to him without a word. Then, she would plop down next to him, not caring if he wanted her company or not. "What are you doing?" Stargazing? She didn't count him as the type to do so but maybe she was wrong.

the staff team luvs u
09-13-2021, 07:46 PM
His aud snagged the fat footed paw steps of the Pale One as she neared him. He, in this moment, didn't care to see if it were truly her or if another member had thought he would be easy to cull from behind, but a corpse had ended up next to him, and without even eyeing it, he dove his face with open jaws at the sand it lay upon. The whole half of his face had gone into the triggerhair motion, and a slush of sandfall followed as he drug his face and the 'catch' with it. It was dead, though freshly killed, he believed he had done it. Looking up, the titanic woman sat beside the sand-drowned man as he crunch-crunch-swallowed his meal. A snort of sand out of the last working nostril allowed him only enough air to keep it barely working, and the gritty tongue lolled out of needlesque jaws in a smile. It didn't mean anything more than he needed to breath with an open mouth to get enough oxygen, but it was nice, nonetheless to the Pale One. He was glad it was the Pale One. Maybe she would eat him, tonight. 

"There is a time coming, and I will die within it. But that death will bring me back, from there, I believe." His dead blues deserted her ghostly furred face to pummel the stars with more unanswered questions. "I just wonder if - all of those that are already up there roaming, are souls meant to return to their hosts, or bodies. Do all of them come back from there?" He settled beside her with more sand spilling from his snout, leaking wet gags of it from his jaws as he spoke. "If they are not souls, why have they moved, and danced, and winked as though they hide secrets?"
the staff team luvs u
“̴͍̞͈̋̌T̷̫̰̋̓͜e̶̳̙̅͐͝ḽ̸̡̗͝l̴͚̦̮̯͍͚͌̇̾ ̵̨̱̪̟͉̄̆m̵͎̬͙͎̹̋ȇ̴̘̜̅̓͗̓͘-̸͉̰͙̬̟̥̆͛̂̋͘͝ ̵͍̩͓̣̣̀̽̒D̴̩͎͎̔͋̎̐̕o̶̻̥͂͊̐̽̄͠ ̷̛͕͈͎͓͒̑̊͗̈ỹ̸͚̱̼̟̼̖ó̶̮͉̬̻̋͌ȕ̵̼͈͇͂̍ ̴͖̫̈͗̓̒͆͝h̴̢̛̙͇͋̎ë̷͓͔́ͅȃ̵̞͒r̷̮̜̀̇̋͗̕͝ ̴̰̬̭̩͉͎͆́t̵̛̬̣̜͉̤h̵͖͗̊e̸̡̬̱̤͈̣͑̅́͐̅̅m̸̨̡̩̗̲͛̐̂̎,̶̢̬̜͉̩̓̈ ̵͉̳̯͕̹̐͂̾̄̕ẗ̷̘ő̸̘̏͘o̵̭̰̠̎͆͠?̵̢̗̹͉̪͘”̵̨̘͉̯́̒͆ͅ
09-15-2021, 04:08 PM
Nosebleed never ceased to amuse. His antics as he dove down to snag the lizard made the yearling give quite a huff of amusement while she watched him. When he looked at her, leaking sand all the while, she rolled her eyes. Was he eating it too? "Disgusting." She vocalized to him.

She'd Haiti remember to drop more lizards next to him to see if this could be repeated for her enjoyment.

"If Death wills it so, it will happen. They could be waiting to be sent down to fill our ranks... Or our bellies." She said, parroting the beliefs taught to her. Had he seen a shooting star? At least he wasn't as obnoxious about the divine as Soft-Brain was. "Perhaps you have seen a sign from It. Silent affirmations of your duty here, to us." A shrug abd then she fell silent, her own eyes tracing back to the sky instead of that silly ugly face.
the staff team luvs u
09-15-2021, 04:21 PM
His silence left him with a lapse he couldn't fill when her words had come forth. What duty was there? Who's duty? What was he meant to do? All he did was serve the Red One... Many had come and gone since then. He hadn't seen the fat man who swaggered into Andraste's grip, nor the Listener who was a brief fling for the Goat. Where would all of their destinies lie? And should they not follow such a path- where would it take them?

"Winter will come. And I will be forced into the Eye or I will freeze." He stated it without and resignation. He knew the time would come where he had to. "Yet I will not make it to Winter." Some omen, or fate, or weird rule of existence told him this. Like he was just... Fated to die. He couldn't understand why or how he knew, but sometimes it wasn't up to him to investigate. He just knew things and understood them. "I do not know what lie before nor past this- but it will not be the end of me." Turning to Exalted, he removed himself from the subject now. "Tell me of you, Pale One."

Scarecrow had left it open, not wanting her to feel as though he were interviewing her. Free to answer what she desired, with whatever tickled her fancy.
the staff team luvs u
“̴͍̞͈̋̌T̷̫̰̋̓͜e̶̳̙̅͐͝ḽ̸̡̗͝l̴͚̦̮̯͍͚͌̇̾ ̵̨̱̪̟͉̄̆m̵͎̬͙͎̹̋ȇ̴̘̜̅̓͗̓͘-̸͉̰͙̬̟̥̆͛̂̋͘͝ ̵͍̩͓̣̣̀̽̒D̴̩͎͎̔͋̎̐̕o̶̻̥͂͊̐̽̄͠ ̷̛͕͈͎͓͒̑̊͗̈ỹ̸͚̱̼̟̼̖ó̶̮͉̬̻̋͌ȕ̵̼͈͇͂̍ ̴͖̫̈͗̓̒͆͝h̴̢̛̙͇͋̎ë̷͓͔́ͅȃ̵̞͒r̷̮̜̀̇̋͗̕͝ ̴̰̬̭̩͉͎͆́t̵̛̬̣̜͉̤h̵͖͗̊e̸̡̬̱̤͈̣͑̅́͐̅̅m̸̨̡̩̗̲͛̐̂̎,̶̢̬̜͉̩̓̈ ̵͉̳̯͕̹̐͂̾̄̕ẗ̷̘ő̸̘̏͘o̵̭̰̠̎͆͠?̵̢̗̹͉̪͘”̵̨̘͉̯́̒͆ͅ
09-15-2021, 04:39 PM
The stilty man did not remark on her words of his duty. Instead there was just silence that only the desert winds filled. Until the man spoke again, of winter.

"You will freeze? In the desert? Speak sense, Nosebleed." Cryptic though he may be, she didn't fancy him dumb. Perhaps there was meaning she wasn't gleaning. Death... Why was he so sure of this? Her hackles rose and she looked at him seriously. "Has someone threatened you? Is this why you speak thusly? Tell me who and they will make threats no longer." Him dying. That was not w thing she wanted to think about... It made her...

Sad.

No matter how much he reassured her that it was nothing. He wanted to drop it, she did not. "Have you received a vision?" Now that, she could not threaten. Especially if it were Death Itself.

The next subject, it caught her off guard. Hacked flattened as she blinked and answered. "I am royalty, from the tundras of a distant land. Here I am also royalty, given life anew to serve Death and punish sinners." They had never really talked before, had they? Not beyond the passing snipes that she enjoyed so much. "My only kin now is Andraste. Our features mark us as such. Where I come from such royal traits are... exalted. Ha.
the staff team luvs u
09-15-2021, 04:54 PM
He had smiled slightly as she told him to speak since. He didn't blame her, thus he did not contradict. However, that she had rose to the rest of shield before any who had come for his life, a snort came just behind it. Something black and slimy came out of the nostril that didn't work, and it still didn't work, but she had eroded a reaction out of them that both hurt and pleased him. A laugh, a genuine one. One that he hadn't had before. His cackle was straw being dragged across gravel. There was nothing pleasing about it, except the fact that he had it. "No soul, mortal or eternal, threatens me and gets away with it. Not because I am unable to kill them, it's because I merely do not care. Life and death are things that are fickle, but here they come over and over again to reap even as they sow. Such a harvest is only meant to be. Thus, it does not bother me whether I live or die." His whispering voice had decided to become a bit more corporal, as a pinch more of himself had decided to unveil before the Pale One. It was somehow a more natural response even as he turned to strike her with his dead blue eyes. Hunger did not lie in them tonight. Something else did.

"A vision, a nightmare, and a whisper within the wind." He had confirmed it with a triad of things. I thought it may sound bullshit, who would know whether he lied or not? He hadn't ventured underneath the surface of the eye, nor within tunnels not once. Yet- "In this place of drought, I will drown. And from waters from the blood of my lungs, I will see your face again."

Hey listen to her as she bespoke her lineage. He remembered when once upon a Time he had family. Siblings, a mother a father. None of that mattered anymore. Kelina was the last face he had known when he was in the room. His siblings had nothing to do with him. Once they had grown and separated, they had gone their own ways. And Kelina was the last that he knew. Traitorous bitch. Just to not leave her hanging off the side of the cliff, he merely stated "Perhaps my siblings roam up there." He brought his attention back to the stars that laughed at them both. And then he sighed.
the staff team luvs u
09-16-2021, 07:12 PM
 There was a noise from the ugly one, a sound like nails across a chalkboard with none of the shrillness. It was entirely unpleasant but she knew it was him. It was the first time he'd ever made such a sound around her, usually everything he did was seemingly on purpose, towards an end but this? Had she gotten a true response from him? It was not a nice sound but it was his sound.

The albino would listen to his words. Sensible nonsense. One ear would flick back and then forward again to his ramblings. All towards the end of: he didn't give two shits who threatened him... but that was of course not the case in this instance. No one had threatened him that was of flesh. Instead, it had been incorporeal, fate. No one could threaten fate.

He went on to tell her what sounded like a prophecy. Her lips would lift to expose more of those overlong fangs, as if she could scare away fate itself. It was a foolhardy endeavor, fruitless. She knew that for she was a superstitious wolf... but that didn't mean that she had to like it. In the end, Exalted had nothing to say. Nothing to disprove his words. He was the watcher outside of the Eye. How could she tell him how to interpret his visions? "Does Mother know?" Was all she could muster. She must be made aware, to be told of any and all prophecies from her ilk.

There was silence after she spoke her words, so much silence in fact that the white wolf would raise an eyebrow to him. Wondering if he'd turned to stone or forgotten his tongue... but no. He spoke again. "Do you wish Death to bring them back as Disciples?" Or would he prefer them to be hunted down and gutted like Sinners?

the staff team luvs u
11-09-2021, 10:12 AM
The words were enough to scuttle something in his heart, a chuff breaking through her question's end with amusement. "I ate my last cousin. His name was Tim. Or Tom. Something." His blues surfed the white sands of her fur, the dunes of her face and the crests of peaks her tufts gave into the winds past them. She was unforgettable. "I have not told the Red One." He was glad they hadn't talked as often as she had with other wolves or whatever crossed through their neck of desert. She seemed whorish, welcoming in the men aplently who disappeared or never intended to stay. She had made this place a buffet, and the Goat could be to blame on this nonsense as well. Surely the few travellers who had come and stayed were being secretly dined on and not shared. Scarecrow was put off by this. "She is too busy for the likes of me." Was it... was it jealousy?

The coy rose from his spot to turn towards where the Eye lie. What would the Pale One think if he too up and disappeared? He hand't offered much to her other than desire for ingestment. Would she mourn his death? 
"She has been gone some time now - I have decided to search for her."
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
11-24-2021, 11:31 PM
 Exalted felt as if their Mother should know and would certainly do so as time permitted. The Mother was busy, as Nosebleed had obviously noted, and she would have to find time to share such troubling news with her. "Not just with you, with all. Her rank and title dictates there is much to be done." The albino yearling tried to explain away the woman's status. Was that jealousy in his tone? Or was she reading too much into the disgusting creature? She did care about his opinion though, more than she did a lot of others here.

Search for her... In her heart, she felt as if this would be the last time she would see him, or one of the few. Especially with his cryptic words gifted to him from the shadows. "You will tell me if you lay eyes upon her again?" The woman asked, confusion clearly there as she didn't want him to leave but knew there was nothing in her power that would keep it from being so.

Fate was not so changeable.

the staff team luvs u
12-03-2021, 02:22 PM
The Pale One's response was a generalized one, meant to ease the tense unforgiving his scarred mind had already torn asunder and tried sewing back together again with false hopes. 'With all' as though they held his pain, his spiraling dismay. There was no other who wanted to tear Andraste apart more than he- no matter who they dared to claim they were. He wanted no more than to absorb her fully into him, lay in her hollow corpse, and rest. To wash his nightmares away in her blood, and become clean, free of the devils that moved, fed, and induced him. 
There was no love he had for the Red One, so great as his. 

He said nothing to his...he turned to the Pale One, pulling his dead blues from the Eye with something less...feral? He considered her once more, his insides worming about as he tried to figure out why he could not see what she was to him. Something there lie in this behemoth bitch, and it made him... made him want to eat her a little bit, too. He gagged a bit, the scaled end of the lizard she had gotten him slightly digested and landing a pinch away from her left paw pad. She made him feel sick, and shakeless. His eyes, perhaps in the moonlight from whence they stood across one another within, fueled with some sort of life, and rekindled a pretty icicled blue as he watched her silently for the moment. His body swallowed while his mind kettled the popping of an answer for her question, a softer answer than what was typical of the stilty wraith. 

"Before I eat you as well, absolutely."

And with that, he turned and threw speed into his limbs, driving himself past what he should have for such a mentally off creature, soaring in the direction he had tracked for quite some time his twisted harlot owner taking, before disappearing past the dunes. All that remained was his kicked up sand, and the piece of semi digested lizard which cooled beside his...
Sister.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top