Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
I lost sight of you before I knew it

Afternoon Snow 25° F
AW
Adventurer
07-21-2021, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 04:26 PM by Izumi. Edited 2 times in total.)
 Other than Izumi’s desire to stretch her legs, there was no clear motivator in her departure from the mountains today. As of late, the crane took moments out of the day to wander around and think deeply about the role she would play in this newly founded empire. 'Lady', was it? How should she make of this new title from now on? With her title as heir in a previous life, Imposter syndrome was a common mentality in the fear of constantly messing up. Though this time was different -- in finding an almost motherly like figure in her friend Reiko, she didn't feel as though changing was impossible.

Dainty paws drifting aimlessly through the snow and thoughts flowing like streams, the dame was unaware of any company nearby -- or likely, she hadn't bothered to check at first...

the staff team luvs u
[Image: IZumi1.png]
Adventurer
07-28-2021, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2021, 03:14 AM by Ragnar. Edited 1 time in total.)
The Dame was a long stretch away from her mountains in the east, having wondered north of the coastal range which Ragnar now took his claim upon along with his family. Most of his time since founding the land he had stayed to it, marking the borders within the evergreen forests which surrounded its foothills.

Today however, he moved on from the thick forestry which marked the entrance to his claim and out into the vast, open tundra to the north. It seemed endless. Unknowing to him beyond all this, a great gash from the ocean tides cut through, a hunting spot yet unknown.

At first, Ragnar would not see the little woman but after some travel out in the distance he would catch sight of black on white and all the white around. Icy eyes narrowed, he picks up on the black and white patterned wolf in the distance. He pauses, howling out a greeting.
the staff team luvs u
*Ragnar frequently has black feathers woven into his scruff, curiosity of his good friend, Krakarak.
08-10-2021, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2021, 02:13 PM by Izumi. Edited 1 time in total.)
 Izumi's single ear swiveled towards the sound of a howl, though her head did not yet turn along with it. To be exposed in the open like this was bound to draw in an encounter or two -- a possibility the crane was not ignorant towards upon her departure. Though the chances of such things happening did not mean she was obligated to grant them her attention -- ecspecially if these encounters included someone she did not know...

Said encounter would involve a male, she saw upon turning her crown to gaze upon him with here lilac depths. Tall, pale and rugged, his features embodied what she would expected from one who lived and breathed the snow -- only question was, what was a blonde and blue eyed man wish to relay to her?

This curiosity made the crane return a chuff in exchange to his howl, but without words to fill the cold air. Instead, she'd wait to hear what he wished to say...

the staff team luvs u
08-15-2021, 07:49 PM
She was slow to react. Perhaps, hesitant was the word, be it by fear or lack of interest, Ragnar was not sure but may soon find out. She lifts her head into his direction as he continues to make a lazy lope her way. Her chuff back in greeting was all he needed in order to keep moving forward still instead of turning and moving off in a different direction all together.

He didn't know if much information would be made of the conversation but Ragnar all and all was a rather social wolf, curious of the lands and wolves around him.

A pleasant half-cocked smile is thrown into her direction. “Your the first movement I've seen out here...” His creamy muzzle lifts as head scans around the vast open tundra around them. There was life to be had, he knew, but it was hidden well and deep and out of sight nor scent.  “Do you know how far this snow plain reaches?”
the staff team luvs u
*Ragnar frequently has black feathers woven into his scruff, curiosity of his good friend, Krakarak.
08-19-2021, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2021, 02:14 PM by Izumi. Edited 1 time in total.)
 "Is that so?" she hummed softly, lilac eyes swirling around it's landscape one more time before landing back on the man who stood afar. Izumi wouldn't have known the man's statement to be true as she wasn't a regular in these parts of the tundra, but the barren and eerie quietness that carried along this frozen desert could've been proof alone. "I'm afraid not. These parts of the tundra are as foreign to you as they are to me..." she admitted, and as the man smiled, the siamese crooned her head a bit closer to get a whiff of the scent carried off of them. Izumi could tell he'd been with others, maybe even from an entirely different pack just out of reach from her own, but to which she couldn't have known. Perhaps that could be a conversation starter?

"Where do you hail from, sir?"

the staff team luvs u
Formation
08-25-2021, 12:41 AM
The Frozen Ground seemed to go on for miles. Ragnar knew he would have to see what lie beyond, his curiosity taking hold of him, his exploration nature never seeming to be quenched. With the mountains of his home yet still looming in the background behind him, he would not get lost. Ragnar could and would not risk now straying for, especially with his claim still so unstable and his children still not yet even a year old to do the work of defending it.

“From there.” He speaks and his head turns around as he side steps, using his muzzle to point into the direction of the mountain chain behind him. “On the eastern half of that chain there. It is Northfall.” He explains, turning back around to the white woman pointed by black. The vast open tundra was just in his backyard. A very large backyard. But where had she appeared from? And why had she come all the way out here? “And you? If not from here, then where, if you don't mind? My family and I are new to these lands and would like to get to know them, and our locals, better.”
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
09-02-2021, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 04:27 PM by Izumi. Edited 1 time in total.)
 Lilac hues turn in the direction of where his muzzle pointed, ears canting forward in keen interest. She had not known of another pack in the tundras beside her own, which was probably a bad sense of acknowledgment of anything around them. Should Reiko allow her one day, a trip around to search for other packs could prove resourceful.

In turn to his question, her own blackened muzzle would point towards the path she'd come from, quite vaguely considering their location at the moment."I hail from Shiroshika. A pack just east from here in the mountainous region." She stated, turning her gaze back to him after a moment. This man seemed to have a family with him as well -- that would explain the scents that lingered from his pelt.

"I have never heard of a Northfall before. At least not during any of my trips in the tundra...would you mind telling me more about you and your family?"

the staff team luvs u
Formation
09-06-2021, 04:28 AM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2021, 04:29 AM by Ragnar. Edited 1 time in total.)
His golden muzzle followed, head lifted and icy eyes squinted to the icy winds. Here in the open, the tundra showed its greatest force with the wind offering no break, cover or mercy to those which stood in it. He shakes his coat of the frost and smiles to himself, a happy remembrance of why he enjoyed it out here in the north. It kept his heart racing, his blood boiling.

“Shiroshika...” The name whispers from his lips and though he cannot see it in the distance, he puts the pack to memory. Depending just how far east they were, Izumi's pack would prove little use to him as far as allies went. After all, an ally too far to call upon when needed or to visit and work together when times were hard did not help much. He knew another pack to the far east, one belonging to @Ira, and had a means to visit it once again now that his own placement was settled upon.

She had not heard of his group and he turns back to her, happy for her interest. Getting the word out of his family would further strengthen it, especially if he had a means to extend it to a bloodline worth living through the ages.

“We arrived here during our Awakening, as many I come to realize have.” He pauses, waiting to confirm if she had arrived to thus new world by an 'awakening' all the same. “My family and I had traveled far and long from the Empire of our family, further then I could imagine now...” A small smirk and chuckle to himself. Now, having just 'poofed' into existence here who knows how far away they really were from the familiarity of which they came... “We sought a new home for ourselves, a new start of our own making and on a land built of our own namesake. We are Stormborn. I, am Ragnar. ”

“And you, traveler?”
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-05-2021, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 04:28 PM by Izumi. Edited 1 time in total.)
 The tundra was a maze of twists and turns, in Izumi's book. On one hand, she was still getting used to its cold winds and harsh conditions, whereas people like Ragnar and Reiko seemed to thrive in it -- as to why that was, she could never figure out why. On the other hand, it had its perks. She was no winter-borne wolf, of course, but an adaptable one nonetheless due to her mixed heritage -- the snow did not sting her skin nearly as bad as it did in the beginning. A view of the northern lights every now and again was soothing, too.

Unlike Ragnar, Izumi saw the use of allies from far and wide could be used for a variety of potentials, just as her parents saw back in her home clan. To spread your influence far and wide could prove useful in the future -- so if this interaction of there's goes well or not, the least Izumi would like to get is some useful information for the near future.

"An awakening of you all then-" Izumi mused softly "--you are a lucky man to have woken up beside family. Not many have had that luxury in waking up beside a familiar face here..." she assured softly, but more of an encouraging way.

"I am Izumi -- Izumi Fujiwara. I am under the rule of Reiko Izuka. She is our kingdom's Empress."

the staff team luvs u
Formation
10-24-2021, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2021, 03:50 AM by Ragnar. Edited 1 time in total.)
Ragnar nods when she starts up, confirming. She even speaking his words, 'The Awakening' and it made Ragnar learn swiftly this was how she had arrived to these lands too. So far all of which the sun-kissed wolf had met had just awoken here from whatever and wherever their previous lives had been. In some ways, it angered Ragnar to think the Gods could easily manipulate his life in such a way but it also made Ragnar humble in knowing the strength they possessed and their willingness to use it.

“The Gods spared us that suffering, perhaps...” He pauses, the corner of one side of his mouth turning up in a half-smirk. “Or lucky, as you say, Izumi.” And then as icy eyes sweep away from her and onto the open frozen ground around them, Empress, he repeats, “It sounds exotic. I've not heard the term before...” Yes, clearly they had arrived to a far off place indeed. Then again, Izumi and her brethern could have come from far off too.

“I do not think I will stay out here much longer...” His attention shifts then, to the mountains of Northfall. “If your home is far, you are welcome to rest in Northfall before your return.”
the staff team luvs u
11-05-2021, 05:17 PM
 The young woman hummed mindfully when Ragnar spoke -- the gods, as he described it, perhaps they were the ones responsible for all this. An afterlife is what it looked like they've all ended up in with the belief that her last existence ended with her death. Izumi had always been a religiously ambiguous woman -- never believing strongly in one thing or another but acknowledging that there had been something out there controlling their fate. So what of her? Did the gods grant her a second chance to start anew?

His offer to stay was met with polite decline, softly shaking her lowered head to him. "You underestimate me, sir Ragnar. My legs can carry me for days." the cranebird responded with a slight smile, lifting a hind paw as if to make a point and offer soft reassurance to her new acquaintance. She did not wish to take space upon the home of someone she'd just met, nor did she wish to trouble his family.

In one gentle motion, her willow shape circled itself to face the path she'd come from before, though a glace was cast over a frosted shoulder before her complete departure for a more proper farewell -- "I hope for our paths to cross again someday, perhaps during a time where you and your family grow strong upon your domain. I wish you luck." and maybe, just maybe, they'd meet in a not so barren desert such as this one...

-Exit unless stopped-

the staff team luvs u
11-13-2021, 05:32 PM
She responded not of the Gods, keeping her thoughts to herself, as it were. Ragnar spoke of the great beyond often and his openness to other beliefs and religion met with curiosity and awe. After all, believer in The Gods of Old, he had still been accepting and fascinated by those of Norse as Sindri and Frigg (and many other northerners) believed.

To her words then, he dips his creamy chin down, lifting a paw to his chest as he did so. My apologies... was the silent gesture as a small smirk plays to the corner of his lips. She was long-legged and light, a sure swift scout without a doubt.

Willow frame whips around, her furs a flow in the winter breeze, white and black. “And you be safe and swift on your journey, Izumi.” He adds to her tidings, turning and making way home opposite of she.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top