Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
My Ears Are Wilting From The Sun

Afternoon Sunny/Clear 60° F
P
Nightwalkers
07-12-2021, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2021, 08:41 PM by Grumble. Edited 2 times in total.)
Grumble

"Lies look just like the truth to you
There's absolutely no saving you,
saving you.
Like livestock, growing fat, drooling,
You were waiting for leftovers..."

Grumble found herself wandering near the Phantasm Brook, the sound of water getting louder in her ears by the minute. It was as clear as it possibly could be in these dark woods. @Almight had escaped her this time so she found herself trying to see if there was anything near the water to hunt, also using the time to explore and get use to her new home. It was pretty overwhelming, but also super exciting! She hadn't yet met all of her new pack-mates, but maybe that was for the best until she was more useful. She wanted to be praised after all, not spited.

Her nose suddenly caught a whiff of something that made her blood quicken. As Grumble began to salivate, she stalked through the woods until she saw a fox tearing the fluff off of a rabbit. Doing what she does best, Grumble suddenly appeared in front of the poor fox with a bone-chilling snarl before snagging the rabbit with her jaws as the vixen ran for it's life. Happy to have food now, she wandered briefly if she should show @Vengeance to brag and claim she hunted it, but then decided against this. He was too smart for that and would see through her lie immediately. All she wanted was praise from him. Feeling a little miffed that all she could do was bully others for food still and not use skills, she continued her search. Now feeling even more motivated to bring back a feast. As if it was never there, the giant wolf easily swallowed the tiny rabbit morsel, legs going in last before it went down her throat. Hopefully the extra energy would get her where she needed to be.

Suddenly her sharp nose picked up another smell. This time it was a wolf, male, and smelled of the pack-grounds (which meant no mauling). She did not recognize the smell so it was someone new. Seeing this as good practice, Grumble tried to remain downwind as she stalked towards the wolf. Soon she spotted the wolf, he was the brightest canine she had ever seen. Where she was from, darker pelts were the norm. Trying not to let his foreign appearance distract her, she continued to creep towards him until she right behind him. "Boo!" She suddenly bellowed, hoping that her stalking had been advance enough to surprise the male.
the staff team luvs u
07-12-2021, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2021, 10:27 PM by Aries. Edited 1 time in total.)
The fireborn strolled easily through the woods, the sounds of the river trickling nearby bringing a false sense of ease in such murky woods. This was no gentle paradise, but Aries did not fear what prowled the shadows. After all, he knew the boogeyman personally. His pelt was ever a flame in the dark, a striking ember of alert to those around. He was no traveler, he was a gatekeeper...and those who knew better should run while they still had the advantage.

Though not all would take his silent warning. Another moused about, creeping just close enough to watch while staying hidden. At some point he was sure he heard a branch snap, but after a lazy glance he chalked it up to some prey scurrying about. Until well... a loud voice yelled out from behind him.

The shout managed to make him jump though in the same beat he spun, jaws snapping in retaliation to whoever had the bright idea. AYE. Ya gotta death wish or somethin' girlie?! Who the hell was she? The woman was actually taller than him much to his own surprise, the scent of the Nightwalkers faint on her pelt. New then eh? His lips held his snarl as he awaited an answer, tail lashing behind him in annoyance.

the staff team luvs u
07-13-2021, 12:24 AM
Grumble was not one to think of consequences. What had she expected to happen? Likely for the wolf to laugh and then they cuddle. That was not the case. The fireball had whipped around with a snap that landed right on her muzzle. With a snarl of protest she quickly backed away, hackles starting to rise. His anger made her want to respond with anger. Well that was until she heard him speak, then she was just confused as indicated from the tilt of her large head. The way he talked was weird too. Her curiosity giving her the ability to relax, she tried to wiggle closer to the male again. "Why would I wish for death? That's stupid, I'd rather wish for caribou!" She retorted as if that was the obvious thing to say and he was an idiot. For that was how commonsense worked with Grumble, see the obvious and state the obvious.

Still trying to get closer, her nose working overtime to get all the info she could. "Why is your fur so bright, did it get burnt? Is that why you talk funny? Does it hurt to have such bright fur?" She bombarded him with all sorts of questions, wanting to touch his fur so badly, to know if it felt warm, maybe it would even burn her paws. She finally reached a paw to try to touch him, not knowing the reaction this would cause, especially since most wolves had very short tempers. But she just had to know now, this was a mission. Grumble didn't have the empathy to consider asking or making proper conversation to ease the interaction. She was just forcing her way through the current as usual.
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
07-13-2021, 02:26 AM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 02:34 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
He expected her to cower, he expected anger, he did not expect...whatever the fuck this was. The subtle raise of her hackles first showed that she realized her mistake, or so he thought, but the expression was short-lived as the woman somehow found the situation amusing. Aries could feel his jaw visibly slacken as he raised a brow in disbelief. Did she know where she fuckin' was? This wasn't some kiddy playground to play tag and pull each other's fur.

Jokes flew easily from her maw as she inched forward, blue eyes filled with childish glee and curiosity. Unfortunately for her, with each step closer the opposite would brew in the fire clad. A low growl rumbled in his throat, a final warning as jowls peeled back slowly to reveal tainted fangs. And even. So. She. Continued. Whatever she had been prattling on about went right over Aries's head as he watched her paw reach out to touch him, but before it could come any closer the growl rose from his maw as he lashed out to bite the daring limb.

Should he manage to grab hold he would shake rapidly, refusing to let go until she got the point. LOOK AROUND YA! DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE FUCK YOU ARE? Probably not given she was literally poking at bears. Surely Vengeance hadn't met her yet or she'da shut up or died by now.

the staff team luvs u
07-19-2021, 08:46 PM
Everything happened so quick. As she moved towards him, about to close the distance, he lunged and grabbed her limb. The sudden sting caused her adrenaline to surge out of control. With a terrifying snarl that was linked more to fear than anger, she began to try to shake the wolf off her leg. The sight might be humorous to a bystander, but likely neither of them were having fun now. Still in shock, she answered the question, as he mumbled words from his mouth. "Nightwalker territory? The temperate? Phantasm Brook? Home?!" She spout all the answers she could think of, still shaking her limb with vigorous strength. She was a big and strong wolf, but it's not like this male was small or weak. This wasn't like getting bit from a coyote or something. It stung greatly. Her instinct for survival kicking fully in, she lifted her other front limb into the air before smashing it down on his, as if trying to peel him off like a splinter. It went better than she expected. His fangs grazing through her limb until they met nothing but empty space and air, the sudden separation causing him momentum to make him fall face first unceremoniously to the ground.

Her eyes darted on the fallen sun, pupils dilating. Before she came here, before she met Almight's Father, she would have considered the interaction over now. Never did she sought to kill or dominate. It's not like it would cause food to spawn (still had not picked up the concept of cannibalism). Yet, she wanted to be tough, to be fierce. And the dark thought flashed in her mind's eye, of trying to stomp her front paws hard upon his head right before ripping into the back of his spin where the cervical met the thoracic. To get back in and finish the fight. Yet that was not who she was and she was puzzled, not being able to process such reasons fully yet. She deemed the thoughts pointless.

Her mental ordeal having only been for a split second, Grumble quickly she took a few steps back to lick her limb with loud rumbling whines, a thin trail of blood not halting anytime soon, showing the trail his fangs had traveled before their departure. She waited for him to get back up, but her expression was much more sour. "I just want to know if your fur feels like the sun...You could have just said you're afraid of being touched." She mumbled with her deep voice, clearing sulking like an oversized child.
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
07-22-2021, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 02:35 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Everything had happened fast. His jaw clamped down on her forearm, threatening to crunch harder as the girl wildly flailed and spat at him a flurry of answers behind whines and growls. It seemed she was familiar with their land, with their name, yet stupidity still ran thick.

A paw swatted at him slapping just hard enough to dislodge his fangs as she pulled, the combined forces enough to throw him to the ground before he could catch himself with a snap of his teeth on now empty air. If he hadn’t been pissed before, well he certainly was now. Aries wasted no time blubbering on the ground. He would be to his paws in a flash and as the other backed up he would follow so his face stayed in hers.

As the fire born neared, his tongue would dart out, savoring the blood on his lips and teeth before trying to ram his head into the girl’s skull. If he was lucky he would be able to hold the position like some quarterback about to give a pep talk…except this was a lot less pep and a lot more threat. Let me make one thing fuckin’ clear. He may have been shorter than her, but his posture would argue the fact, tail raised as his neck held his head high. 

You, are nothing more than a rat. Learn your place or lose that pretty tail of yours. My fur is not a toy, it is not hot, it’s cold, just like your body’s gonna be if you don’t learn personal space. Understood?

the staff team luvs u
07-24-2021, 12:26 AM
Like a fly, the fireball got up quickly and followed after Grumble. Head ramming against her own, her fur bristling in momentary panic of being burned by his fur, causing her to momentarily lose her balance before sinking her feet into the ground. It stung a little bit but she kept in place, eyes trying to observe him all, to figure it out, as if there was something she could not understand. This hostility, she saw it as such and yet it was her conception of hostility that altered her unbothered by it. As long as her ears were left alone.

The anger, the growl that lowly vibrated from his throat, hinting that in a split second he was about to speak, to lash with his metaphorical fire. This was all in a weird way, a comfort for her. The anger of others, yes it birthed her name, but in a way it felt like it birthed her identity, a soothing feeling. If others weren't acting like this to her then something was wrong. Even Almight had been growling during her initiation towards her. Thus all she could find herself doing was staring at the other with bright blue eyes, curious as he said to make something clear.

She let him go off, expression unchanging but her eyes showed a spark, his confident posture making him much bigger in her mind. There was a lot to unpack and process with his words. Her expression finally changed, turning to something apologetic yet confused. She took a moment before responding, hoping it would appease her senior pack member. "I...I'm sorry if I did anything to upset you, but I think you're confused, though I'm a little bit too. I'm a wolf, not a rat. And I don't think your fur is cold, nor my body's, even though we're super close right now. Your head feels very warm as a matter of fact, I like it!" She said with a laugh, tail wagging slightly, forgetting momentarily of their dispute. Whether he broke off the contact of the headbutt or remained there, Grumble would this time give him space, having at least that much sense.

She was still replaying his words in her head and something dawned on her, causing her tail to pick up it's pace. He had praised her, and her visible mood picking up was almost blinding. "So you think my tail is pretty?!" She felt herself puffing out with pride, but then she replayed the sentence slowly in her head and deflated a little. "Wait, I'm more confused than I thought. What is my place? I'm new so I guess my spot is very tiny compared to yours, huh?" She mused over. Hopefully as she begins to bring in more and more food her spot will get super big. Did she even need a big spot though? As long as it was a homey spot than wasn't that all that mattered?
the staff team luvs u
07-25-2021, 10:30 PM
By god, the girl had no lights upstairs. It made sense but it was only more annoying that he now had to deal with it...though if she was dumb then maybe it would be easy to get some fun out of this... He watched almost dumbfounded by the sudden shift in her expressions, one-moment horror or fear with a mix of anger, now just girlish confusion and childish connections. The fire clad man bit back the flame that burned, forcing a rather over-the-top forced smile.

Oh no no no, dear, I'm not confused. You are a rat. That is your place in this food chain we call family. You don't get respect until you earn it here, and me? Well, I've got it. That means you have to listen to me. Pulling away he'd swat her face with his tail dropping the smile as he circled. So, you got one thing right. Your spot is small. We don't keep smallfry around forever, you're useless unless you can prove yourself. You wanna belong here, yeah?

Aries craned his neck just enough to give her a side glance before rounding around her rear waiting for a response. Oh the things he could do, it all mattered on just how willing she was. Maybe how stupid she was. He could have a good laugh.

the staff team luvs u
07-26-2021, 02:36 AM
Grumble listened to him carefully, noticing that this wolf was...maybe passionate was the word. It was hard to follow everything he wanted to convey. Thankfully this time he was more blunt, or at least blunt enough that Grumble understood his words. His words did not anger her or cause any resentment. If anything, she thought he was probably right, it made sense to her. In a way he reminded Grumble of one of her brothers. She couldn't recall his name, but this wolf liked to talk a lot and show such emotions in his eyes, just like him. As his tail flicked into her face like a feather duster, she couldn't help but to sneeze. As she opened back up her eyes she caught a streak of fire that was the stranger before he moved behind her. Basic instincts screamed not to have something unfamiliar behind her, thus she responded by tilting her big head around her shoulder to catch a glimpse of him.

Due to his words and the fact that she previously apologized, Grumble believed everything was good now. That this was a good thing and he was giving her the chance to preform, to earn praise from her abilities and show she had a right to exist. A right to exist? Was that something she worried about? Either way she wasn't going to let this opportunity pass by, she might get some praise, and maybe he'll brag about her to Father! The idea of someone saying nice things about her caused a warmness to spread throughout her body, her tail wagging at a shocking speed that gave away how she was really feeling. She nodded her head quickly at him, making rumbly noises in her throat that were Grumble's trademark indicator for excitement. Motivation was ablaze.

"I want to exist! I can prove it, any task you have for me I will crush with ease!" She exclaimed eagerly, her words giving hints to her inner dilemmas such as using the word 'exist' instead of 'belong'. A sudden thought occurred to her, introductions. If she was going to be praised afterwards she better hear her name! "My name is Grumble, Sir!" She introduced, still not having the social intelligence to ask for his in return.

-flashback-
It had only been a few days since Grumble had rejoined her old pack. Needless to say, the culture shock has been strong. Waking up to start another day, she found herself staring stupidly at all around her in the main social camp. It seemed her clueless anxiety had not gone unnoticed. Her ears perked up as one of her brothers, Dimitri, approached her. Out of all her sibs, he had been the one to not yet engage with her, purposefully avoiding like she was a plague. She mumbled a greeting, which he did not return.

"Still trying to get use to life here, Nakita? To survive all by yourself in the Crow's Forest is impressive, must of been a hell, yes? Everyone is impressed with you." He finished.

Grumble was learning that her brother liked to talk, and she had no idea what to say, socializing still a new concept to her. Seeming friendly enough at first at least. She slowly nodded her head and flashed him a smile, and he seemed taken aback by her simple honesty and kindness before a sneer took over his face.

"You don't seem to understand the situation before you, huh? I can see it in your eyes, the price for life. Your world is empty, no one exists but yourself, like some sort of awful purgatory. Everyone is going to expect something from you now, and you're going to get chewed up and spit out by this world because you don't belong here or anywhere. So don't smile at me. The rest of our family may want to get buddy-buddy, but I will have nothing to do with you. You better watch yourself, cause I have my eyes on you and I can't wait to see you croak."

He finished talking and quickly stalked away, hackles rose. The situation happened so fast that Grumble could only stare dumbfounded. There was something about his words that caused her insides to ache, she didn't fully understand him or his intentions, but she got at least one thing from it. That she was not normal.

the staff team luvs u
Entertainer
07-26-2021, 04:37 AM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2022, 12:27 PM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
Well maybe more so his entertainment lmao but hes playin grumble in his own game

Ahhhh and there were the words he wanted to hear. A girl eager to serve and be noticed. A grin spread easily across his maw as he stepped forward to stand at the rat's side, his head tipping back to point at a wasp's nest he had noticed a few yards off in the trees. Good girl. See that hive? Bring some honey from it and I'm sure you'll stay in the ranks. He'll never admit it, but the boss has a bit of a sweet tooth.

Of course...wasps don't make honey, but that would be his little secret. Most likely this girl wouldn't notice or wouldn't question his task. After all, she had just said that she would crush any task with ease. Though adding on a bit more would surely seal the deal, Most wolves are too cowardly to even try, and getting stung is pretty likely. That's why Vengy doesn't get his treat often, it's a bit of a hassle.

the staff team luvs u
07-26-2021, 05:23 AM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2021, 05:28 AM by Grumble. Edited 2 times in total.)
Grumble followed the male's direction, looking curiously at the semi-large hive. She was already on cloud-nine from just being called a good girl and so it took her a few more moments than normal to register his words. Though her expression soured a little as she realized the task, remembering an experience from a few weeks ago. She was hoping she could have a break from stings. Alas it seemed insects were on everyone's minds. She didn't know who Vengy was, probably another senior member, but it looks like she would get honey for both him and Father! The image of Father smeared in honey as he tells Grumble she's the best wolf in the world had flashed upon her mind. She was pretty fired up and committed.

Without a word, she made a beeline for the tree. Confusion displayed itself upon her face as she finally took time to examine the nest. Those were not bees, but wasps. Only reason she knew was from unfortunate past experiences. But she did know the grubs were edible and tasty, and maybe these were a special kind of wasp species she didn't know about. Deciding to be quite optimistic, Grumble reared up on her hind legs, putting her front paws on the the tree, the angry hum of wasps already beginning. This tree was shorter than she thought, and she could practically grab the entire nest if she so pleased. Honestly how should she handle this? The thought of the future pain to come made her inwardly grimace, but as she thought more about the rewards for it, she found herself getting so excited, so wound-up, pain became the last care for her. Just the simple idea of bringing the nest back to the fire wolf and being called a good girl...caution thrown to the wind!

Fearless yet recklessly, Grumble gave the nest a rough shove, causing it to fall on the ground. Wasps immediately poured out from everywhere, homing in on her and stinging anywhere they could on her body. Ignoring it to the best of her abilities, she grabbed the nest. Some wasps had still been in the nest and thus due to having the nest in her mouth, they were having a field day in there too. It was like throbbing bits of lightning being scorched upon her skin. The nose and ears were the worst. Yet unlike last time, she was not as upset or shocked.

Immediately she looked for, and spotted, the bright wolf. She might have missed him if it wasn't for his fur. Grumble could have sworn he was farther away than she had remembered. Brightening up from spotting him, she immediately headed for the wolf, looking somehow proud while also doing her best to cover distance in hopes of shaking off the wasps and also from the excitement of completing her task. She tried to call him Sir but it was muffled due to her cargo. If he begun to run she would merely chase after him because he was probably leading the way to Father.
the staff team luvs u
Entertainer
07-26-2021, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2022, 12:27 PM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
Well maybe more so his entertainment lmao but hes playin grumble in his own game

[Image: f780e3_a2989ae991ea447fbfbea70da7c765b7~mv2.gif]

By gods she was actually doing it. He practically felt giddy like a child as she tore off to attack the nest. As soon as Grumble had set foot on her path, he would back up, turning to jog a few yards away and peek from the safety of some shrubbery with a grin of disbelief. He gathered that the light upstairs was dim but maybe it was fully burned out.

It took no time for the wasps to swarm, fast and furious as they stung relentlessly at the destroyer of their home. Even amongst the stinging she still grabbed hold of her target and turned to look for him. Why hadn't she just run away screaming? The girl must be desperate for attention considering she spotted him then jogged over eagerly as if she wasn't getting stung to death. Speaking of... she was coming directly towards him.

Oh hell no.

Swallowing what would have been laughter had the imminent danger not turned course for him, Aries jumped away from his hiding spot, yelling over his should as he tried to keep his distance, That's it, now you just need to take that to Vengeance. He'll get 'cha a nice reward for it, yeah? Yeah she wasn't going to stop was she? If his words wouldn't sway her then he would just have to book it and hope for the best.

the staff team luvs u
08-04-2021, 04:21 PM
Grumble continued with the hive in her mouth towards Aries, stopping momentarily as he spoke. She nodded her head in agreement before continuing once again towards the flame wolf. Grumble was not the sharpest tool in the shed, she assumed from his words that Aries would lead her there to get praise. And then they would find Father, a chain of praise. She felt so lucky to have such cool and kind packmates now. She would be sure to come to the wolf for guidance and praise in the future.

As Aries began to speed away, Grumble picked up the pace, impressed with how fast he was. Fast, smart, and kind! Eventually he outran her however, and Grumble found herself alone with the wasps that were starting to trail in fewer numbers. Though fewer numbers, the pain and swelling of the previous insects burned like an unforgetting phantom. Her mood visibly dropped. It was not Aries's fault but her own. She couldn't keep up and now they were separated. A new plan came to her mind. Run until the wasps left her alone and then go back to her den to apply some of the herbs that Ashton left her/taught her to gather for the stings. She could store the hive back home anyways and just give it all to Father the next time a good chance arises.

Brightening up a little despite her new solitude, Grumble continued the jog, the sun in the sky reminding her nonstop of her cool new friend.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top