Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Have you felt this way?

Morning Sunny/Clear
AW
07-07-2021, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2021, 12:34 AM by Almight.)
AW!

At long last did the chained young man leave the clutches of the dark forest to explore the lands beyond their border. He'd return at nightfall, so he told himself, unless of course a woman came between him and his bedtime. It was a lovely day, it would be a shame to spend it inside the mist that never seemed to leave Blackwood Reach. Though now a Nightwalker, he'd rather spent an afternoon with his crown in the sun than sulk in the sad excuse of a territory his pack had claimed. Honestly, just because their intentions were dark didn't mean their living space had to pass some kind of vibecheck.

With his darkened coat, the heat of summer soon became too much to bear even for him. He took a dip in a nearby river and crossed it to see what laid beyond. What he found was quite extraordinary; though spring had since past, the trees bloomed with wonderful lilac and soft pink flowers, wilting but still beautiful. The man, still dripping wet, couldn't take his eyes off his surroundings. For the first time in months, he felt at peace.

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
07-07-2021, 12:49 AM
"Has Vengeance sent you?" As the Queen was a normal stroller through the red grounds, it wasn't a surprise to find within the woodlands. and her finding someone else Though she couldn't deny a disgruntlement of one of his men entering an Elkshire land, without properly calling forth to the pack, "you should know it's polite to call before entering another pack's grounds," and Célnes, made it known. Though a smile to her face, it was not a warm one, coldly looking at the fellow who was large like the boogeyman himself, but he only smelled faintly of the Nightwalkers.. As well as cold to his fur. His tones represented his impoliteness, as she should expect from the unholy.

In the background guards always lurked, as well as the elk who roamed. Any distress that entered or any aggression sent the herd in a rampage of fear - almost alerting the Elkshire wolves of an unlikable fellow entering so. A walk of confidence to him so, but she stayed under the relief of the wisteria branches. Hanging low was a curtain, a shade of sorts of a reddened hue ; perfect for the soon-to be mother who was growing more and more hot as the days go by, and soreful paws. A break for the Queen, but she had yet to accept that is a must for expecting woman.

the staff team luvs u
07-07-2021, 01:16 AM
He'd been staring at the canopy, not often wary of his surroundings but now even less so. Given that he beat most in size and brawn, the titan rarely hid or went about his ways carefully. The fresh wounds on his head gave away he'd recently been in battle, and had made it out alive. That was all they really needed to know.

He snapped his head to where a voice called out, closer than he had realized. He had to fight the urge to roll his eyes at the mention of Vengeance, though hid his disdain for the male well. He took a moment to observe the older woman; draped in a coat of warm chocolates with the gaze of a thousand setting suns, she was quite the opposite of his cooler palette. He tipped his head in silent amusement then, asking; “What message would you be expecting if he had?”

At the mention of this being claimed lands, his smile faded into an innocent shape as he raised his eyebrows in surprise. “'Must have missed the signs. I just crossed the river - the water must've fucked with my sense of smell.” He excused his deeds. He was still hung up on the fact this woman, who held herself so high and mighty, knew his father and had recognized the scent of the newly recruited Nightwalker. Did that mean she knew of his dark purposes, his goal in this new realm? Was she fine with that? If so, it would mean she was just as cruel as them, if not more so, for the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil was for good people to do nothing.

“Where are my manners? My name's Almight Rache, son of Vengeance. Who might you be to know my father?”

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
07-07-2021, 04:00 AM
The man did not hold hostility, but nor' in a meekness she would prefer. Though what could the Queen expect from a Night Walker? They all seemed to carry an arrogance to them, a savageness she wouldn't associate if it wasn't for the alliance the two had made when survival was needed above all else. An unlikely one, that continued onwards, and now through blood. Their power was surely to grow, if they gathered more males.. Especially this one, that had Célnes raise a brow at him, an eye slowly crossing his body on a keen look.

"The Night Walkers are an ally to Elkshire, expecting a message if entered my forest, but instead it looks you are a wanderer." She didn't except the man to not be without some sort of bastardly kids, but the Déorwine did not meet any, nor' was expecting. At the moment her belly budged ever so slightly, and within so was his next set of kids as well. She wasn't sure how to feel on the half-sibling, appearing right before her, and was rather reluctant to even share the factor. Célnes in fact didn't at all, and refrained from so, "why stray so far?"

Most knew who the father was without even telling them, she did not deny it, but nor' did she confirm. Only to Flynn, the messenger, who should be at their borders..

the staff team luvs u
07-07-2021, 10:38 AM
The man was arrogant, that much was true, but he was rather diplomatic instead of savage. Unprovoked, the man lived peacefully among his kind - he would have continued this trend had it not been for the unfortunate reunion with the Warlord. He wondered if her view of him would shift should she know his circumstances; he wasn't a Nightwalker by choice. It was this or death, and with this path he could at least hope for a brighter future.

He smiled then. “I'm afraid I've only recently reunited with dear old dad - the details of our standings with others are yet lost to me.” He informed apologetically. “Though I'm sure with ladies like you enlightening me, I won't be in the dark for long.” He added just a little smugly, but truly he jested. The young Rache was never without jokes, though they sometimes were met with apathy or disdain. He cared little for either reaction.

He grinned handsomely, bowing down in a display of muscles and strength as he stretched. “Why, stretching my legs of course. With limbs like these, it's easy to get far without realizing it.” He answered honestly. There really was no ulterior motive to him being here, other than him wanting a stroll. He wasn't going to admit the Blackwood's rancid scent made him feel like choking, that every minute he spent in the mists he felt his mind deteriorating. In the pose he was in, he could see the lady from an angle unlike before, spotting indeed her bulge, but he was unable to connect the dots so easily. Perhaps he'd wake up that night in a cold sweat at the realization that would only then hit him, but for now he had no suspicions that the female was carrying his half-siblings.

He resumed a neutral stance then. “You've still to tell me your name.”

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
07-09-2021, 07:17 PM
The way he carried himself was similar to Vengeance, the arrogant and the standing of an Alpha, even if they did not have the claim of one. Perhaps it ran in the family - a Rache trait.Though the biggest difference was he seemed more flirty. There was a curiosity if there was more sons or daughters within the wild, yet to appear. Célnes was not one for regret, but she couldn't help wonder if perhaps she had jumped the gun on choosing him was the donor, as especially the man before her was so avidly gray, what would be of her children? The biggest disgrace she could take is if one of her children were drenched in white.

He would be to blame ; and her fault for choosing the wrong donor.

The best that she could do, was only pray to the High Elk for the best results, "I am Célnes Deorwine, Queen of Elkshire."

the staff team luvs u
07-11-2021, 11:34 PM
It was true that his brother bore a coat of pure white - had he known of the woman's worries, he would've been sure to mention it just to mess with her head a little. He'd find it a very strange worry, especially because he'd secretly envied Abaddon's lighter coat, but who was he to judge. All had their own superstitions, and he was too tired of the world to try and talk them out of them if he even could. If he ever had the chance to rear children, he surely would love them all equally, no matter their looks or skills later in life. At least, that's what he told himself now.

“Ah - A queen! Would I do well to curtsy?” He jested again, testing the waters of what she'd still consider a joke. He was a smooth talker and the son of a feared, if not respected, Warlord of the Nightwalkers; surely he was out of danger, for now. “I jest of course - it's a pleasure to meet you.” He added, worry having crawled up his spine in a rare moment of insecurity. He'd never had to deal with titles and respect before; He was a loner through and trough.

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
07-15-2021, 07:11 PM
She laughed slightly, though without heart. Perhaps her impression of the soldiers of Night Walkers would be better if they did in-fact bow. They all held this haughtiness and disrespect, and she wondered with the attitude they were the same to Vengeance. Though she'd imagine a man so primal would not tolerate even the ounce of disrespect, and she could already see fangs go flying if someone were to upset him. Since this man, took that same blood - how does he feel if someone acted rudely?

Though at least he didn't act as rude as the Night Walker General. She had banned him for this forest - indefinitely. 

"Does the Rache family always have... Strange names?" Célnes didn't mean it as an insult; but hearing Almight, Vengeance.. Any future kids he would have, she wondered if it was some sort of odd tradition of theirs.

the staff team luvs u
07-16-2021, 03:02 PM
Almight only bowed, in a figurative sense, to his father because he was frightened of him. He hadn't bowed and didn't plan to bow before anyone else. His respect was given in other ways - sharing conversation, solemn looks, toothy smiles. The queen seemed reasonable, if a little cold - even her laugh bore no joy, it was chilly and empty. It couldn't have been because of him, because his jokes were hilarious. The problem had to lie with her as a person.

“Actually, I named myself.” He informed, just slightly proud. “I'm quite sure if Vengeance had had any power over naming me, he would've called me something grim like... "Death" perhaps.” He added with a grin and a thoughtful look up to the sky. He took no offense to the queen finding his name a little strange. He hadn't planned for it to stick with him the way it had, but he was much too old now to go by something else. Besides, he liked his name. It was powerful - meaningful, unlike himself.

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
07-26-2021, 05:19 PM
Truly, like father and son. Even a name was not granted, they still held such similar traits with the unusual names they took. Though she wondered what kind of life this man had lived if he was not even given but a name from Vengeance - a man who slept with a woman and left perhaps? She pitied the mother, even if the Queen was in the same situation, she held a regalness, simply knowing she was ontop, though mateless, had plenty of packmates for the help.

"He does not seem like a father-figure." Simply by calling his sire by his name rather then any fatherly-ways (on occasion), it seemed so.

the staff team luvs u
07-27-2021, 11:02 PM
Their mother should be pitied. When the man that had impregnated her left, she raised two sons to the best of her abilities. Unfortunately one particular white-coated son went into a mad frenzy and killed her in her sleep. Almight remembered little of it, being so young when it happened and now sucked into another realm that had messed with the events in his head, but he remembered her face. The brothers were then found alone, scraping by, simply surviving. That's why he was now so efficient at hunting and stronger than the average male. At least, that's what Almight thought happened, all was a blur really. He could've joined a wrestling team for all he knew.

“He is not.” He answered simply. “He abandoned me and my brother when we were still unborn - I think? Details of the past are... fuzzy at best.” He shared, trying his best to remember. The only event that was burned in his mind was his eventual reunion with the foul-smelling titan, but that had been after the sea had eaten and spat him back out. He couldn't make much sense of most of his life anymore, and maybe he really didn't want to.

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
07-28-2021, 04:31 PM
"Ah, so he has two kids?" two that he abandoned and are claimed as bastards. Though if she heard one of them was white, the Queen would have hesitated on him being the sire of her first litter, and immediately holding her plans until a more suitable male came. The very factor of someone's genes giving even birth to one, likened the possibility of her own claiming such a sinful mark. Though Célnes held a more.. leniency toward the colors of gray and the like, she could turn away from those of snow. The child, if she were to bore one of pure curse, would be abandoned.

If they held just a bit like Flynn had, it can be fixed before they commit their deeds. Tough love to be give, she would have to warp them to perfection.

"Then why pledge loyalty to him in Nightwalkers?"
such a man would not be a prominent figure within her own kids life, she imagined he wouldn't even desire to since they would not be in his own claim. Though the question was to be, why such a man stay with such a deadbeat father?

the staff team luvs u
07-29-2021, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2021, 02:45 PM by Almight. Edited 1 time in total.)
Almight chuckled softly, sincerely. “Who knows at this point.” Almight was quite sure Vengeance would take any woman, willing and unwilling, if it gave him the pleasure he desired. Who knew how many siblings Ab and him had, running around in this realm or the one before. It was perhaps not the answer the queen sought, but Almight was quite truthful whenever possible.

His eyes seek the comfort of the ground for a moment. He didn't want to paint himself as weak in front of her. To say he'd been threatened to join was like admitting he was afraid and cowardly - because in reality he was. “He wished for strong soldiers, I wished for security. It has little to do with us being related.” He lied like someone who'd done it for years, very well and convincing.

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
07-29-2021, 04:52 PM
Ah, some part of her truly regretted such a rash decision, but at the same time she did achieve her goals at the thought. The purpose of her kids were not for love and the upbringing of 'family' in a unite, but rather the power, and loyalty that came to their numbers, and the Déorwine name that binded them so. She knew however, even if they held such a name, that did not mean they were eternally binded. She would have to raise them right - a respect toward her, as their mother, so that the would not want to break ties..

Célnes wasn't the most affectionate person, though a kinda persona she attempts to present, she wondered how they would be raised.. And whether to truly tell them who their sire is. Young or older, it would be revealed one way or another - just when?

"I suppose that is all our goals.. Though it seems to not bind you." As shown by wandering quite far, and into Elkshire territory.

the staff team luvs u
07-31-2021, 07:45 PM
The Queen and the Warlord weren't very different when it came to their offspring and the reasons for even having them. They both only saw children as an expansion of their own, instead of the wonderful individuals they would one day be. Or, in Vengeance's case, he wouldn't even consider the possibility of children; he just wanted to bang. Either way it disgusted the unbroken spirit of the young Rache.

“I think it unwise to try and conquer lands unexplored.” He responded with a smile. “That's why I wander - scout, if you will.”

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
Discovery
08-01-2021, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2021, 03:02 AM by gerra. Edited 1 time in total.)
"That is true. There is some land that we all desire, but currently cannot take until measures done." She hummed slightly, her head turning slightly adjusted to not only the mountains, but the plains and the forest that was far beyond her realm. She knew nothing of them so, and without the appropriate of their numbers, at the moment her claiming as limited. But, she wasn't dissatisfied what was gained. The woodland was a beauty on its own; glorious reds covered through the summer and spring, and the earliest of seasons the white petals may dance to the ground.. Though at the moment, they were no longer white, but fully enchanted apples that hung to the ground in ripeness, rotting away until it was ate.

"More land beyond my forest, claimed by another."

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
08-02-2021, 01:04 AM
Almight, being a mere subject to be ruled, was free to wander the realm with little consequence. He was still deemed a Rat, unworthy of respect and important tasks. He enjoyed his freedom more than any man that roamed this earth, which made him all the more afraid of the future.

“Do they pose a threat?” He asked, interested. So far he only knew of the packs in the mountain area - the smell of their borders, but no names or faces. He'd left nameless gifts at their borders as he'd often over-hunted and had no one to share it with. He hated wastefulness. To think there was another nearby Nightwalkers and their ally... He'd make sure to visit someday to chat them up. Having friends in many places was always preferable.

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
08-02-2021, 06:28 PM
The Queen laughed at the thought of them being a threat, "No. They are soft." Both a compliment and an insult, she found some of them rather nice companions, vaguely remember Styx who was polite in nature, as well as the others.. Though she couldn't say there was a detest for their Queen, someone so appealing that it brought love out to males; a weak ruler. One to always need protection, a trait she detested most of all.

the staff team luvs u
08-03-2021, 09:09 PM
“Hmm... Better that way.” He responded. At least he wouldn't be expecting a fight once he'd go to check them out. He widened his nostrils for a deeper breath then, not able to think of any more questions to ask the queen. He went silent for a bit, waiting for her to ask something if she'd like to.

If not, his next words would be “Well then, queen of Elkshire, I've taken up enough of your time. I'll take my leave now.” With the promised curtsy added. After any shared words, he'd make his way back to what his people called home for another restless night spent within the mist.

the staff team luvs u
Caution! 3-3-3 character
Discovery
08-04-2021, 02:51 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2021, 03:01 AM by gerra. Edited 1 time in total.)
"Farwell, Almight of Nightwalkers." With nothing more to say, and the day sun slowly settling into the afternoon, she bid him Farwell. A watch to his maltese pelt disappearing in the blooms of the red wysterian orchid, most likely returning back to his own court within their bleak, and misty forest. Even in the distance of her more royal colors, it seemed like bats would screech from the abyss, as if calling it the domain of the wicked. Though two souls were truly wicked, the difference was the Queen decorated herself in the beauty of Elkshire, and the claim of the Royal Wisterian Woodland.

She retreated back inside.

+1 Discovery Point

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top