Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Scared and Alone

Early Morning Snow 20° F
07-04-2021, 11:00 PM

Rainier was one to dilly dally and take her time while exploring things, therefore the only thing she did at the moment was talk to herself and continue looking for food while jumping like a fox into a snow bank for no particular reason other than to scare the little creeps that were hiding underneath.
 Her paws were leaden by the time she stopped to rest, having traveled from the icy caverns to this evergreen forest, snow biting beneath her paws as she made her way up a bank before unceremoniously flopping onto the ground and wheezing from the strain it’d taken for her to make it up, and the trek which she’d sprinted for most of. "Maaam! Maaaam!" she called for her mother, once she’d calmed her breathing, though having little hope of ever being found or rescued from the bitter frost that tickled her paws.
 "Is anyone out there? Please!" she cried out again, eyes flickering between the trees in search of a familiar face or someone that could feed her.

the staff team luvs u
07-05-2021, 12:04 AM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 11:10 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
Although she wouldn't travel far now to find @Haruki, Reiko's wandering feet and need to find the last missing piece of her little family kept her from staying within Shiroshika's borders for very long. She would come and go restlessly, checking on @Hotaru and the others of the pack right after before quickly setting out once more to search for the prince near by. 

Eventually she would need to go further, but the time was not now. She had to watch over the child they had found first, and then, once their borders were secure, head out to see if she could bring home the final piece... until then, all she could do was hold onto hope that the prince was near by.

So when she heard the young voice call out for aid, naturally she was quick to respond by bounding closer. “Yes! Hello!” Calling out to bring the voice closer to her. Would she had done so had she known what was on the other side of that call? Well... time would soon be the judge of that as the wolf would soon meet her first tiger.
^^

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
07-05-2021, 12:28 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2021, 12:28 AM by Rainier.)

The one who responded to her cry for help soon bounded closer, appearing before Rainier's half closed eyes. She was on the verge of tears when the call was answered, her paws leaden with the weight of her sorrow on her shoulders. Her normally happy-go-lucky attitude already diminished and the sadness that lurked behind that finally showed itself. "I'm so tired…" she said as tears finally flowed from her sockets.
 "M-Mom…" her voice was close to gone as she tumbled from the top of the hill and slid down the slope, landing on her side at the others feet. She stared with stark fear at the white being with iced over eyes looking down at her.

the staff team luvs u
07-05-2021, 12:38 AM
^^
What she was expecting to see at the other end of the frail, scared voice was not what Reiko saw rolling over the snow dressed hill. A large (well large in comparison to the little wolf) orange and black striped thing for the lack of better terms, not knowing what this thing was. At first she froze, stricken with fear at the sight of something that must be far stronger than her, only for her worries to melt away just seeing how afraid and frail this... well, child was.

Whatever they were, they were no fierce beast looking for a quick boney meal out of the exiled empress. No, they were scared to death. Expressing their exhaustion that was just plain as day to see. The sorrow she felt for this creature thawed the fright she had initially felt while seeing the creature stumble over the hills - and immediately felt those same motherly instincts take over.

Reiko was not this child's mother - but she was a mother. And what was she to do other than make sure this lost one was well? Where was their mother after all? In an attempt to comfort in any way, she brushed her muzzle against that of the child's. “I am here.” They were so much heavier than she was; and if this was a child... what was an adult to look like? “Rest, I am here now.”

She may be here but what was she to do with this overgrown feline? Surely she needed food to replenish that energy that seemed to depleted. Felines... they ate meat, didn't they?
^^
the staff team luvs u
07-05-2021, 01:33 AM

The canines muzzle touched hers and she sank into the snow, touched by this woman’s show of hospitality. It was nice. All she wanted was to be embraced, welcomed into a den and to feel safe again… and this canine could give her that— if she decided to of course, because in the end it wasn’t up to her. It never was.

the staff team luvs u
07-05-2021, 07:33 PM
^^
Like a fish out of water, she wasn't certain what to do with this giant feline now at her paws. It seemed friendly enough, needing some comfort as they seemed to melt at the contact given. If she physically could, Reiko would have wrapped herself around the cub to keep them warm - but all she could do was her best and let her long furred tail and body rest where it could.

“My name is Reiko, what is yours?” First step was to familiarize herself with the child. Get them talking to get to know them better. Maybe they were lost, needing help to find their den - but judging by these new lands, they were cruel to children and it was almost unlikely that the child's mother would be anywhere near.

Just like Kagome. The pup who had come and gone so quickly just a little over a month ago, and there was nothing Reiko could have done to assist her.

Not this time. Reiko wasn't late. She could help in any way, despite their differences. 

“Where is your mother? I can help you find her.” A little digging to find out more of this little/big one's situation. Maybe if they were lucky, she had seen her mother here and it was just a normal lost contact. If not, maybe the Empress had more on her paws than anticipated.
^^
the staff team luvs u
07-10-2021, 08:16 PM

The comfort that the other gave to this emotionally uncontrollable mess of a child. "Rainier- Rainier.." she stammered through her words, the warmth of the mother beside her giving her mild strength. "I— I don’t know where she is… I woke up here in this— this place… there were big ice walls around me and I- I didn’t know where to go or what to do I’m so tired." she rambled, her voice catching on the words depicting the mother that had abandoned her in the tunnels of ice.
 An idea was slowly taking shape in her mind, forming into a cloud of need and the want and desire for love and attention for her miserable self. "Could— could I stay with you? Y-you seem nice enough, and-and you’ve helped me I- I want to repay you somehow—" she murmured, just loud enough to where the mother could hear her whispers of a home.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
07-10-2021, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2021, 01:47 AM by Reiko. Edited 7 times in total.)
Mention of Tsukiishi

^^
“Rainier.. what a pretty name.” At least the small efforts of comfort were working, the child was still pretty distraught but at least they seemed to be doing well in the companionship of the little wolf by her side. 

So it seemed not only canines, wolves, were affected by this strange place. The feline-thing (she really had to find another like her to know what the heck this child was in order to help properly) spoke of such a familiar story that it was impossible to not see the familiar connections being made.

It was absolutely unexpected for the child to ask straight up to come home with Reiko. A part of her wanted to scold the child lightly for just wanting to go home with the first stranger that gave her attention... but now was not the time or place, Rainier was already so fragile. And so the empress smiled, gave a little lick for affection. “Absolutely my dear.” There was no getting around that she would have to speak with the rest of the pack about their new companion here.

“Home is just in the mountains to the North. It is a beautiful and strange place with rocks reaching to the sky, we call it Tsukiishi. If I bring you some food, will that be enough to get you there?” With her muzzle, she pointed to the North and lightly West where their borders were slowly being built upon. Her stomach felt in knots just thinking about how much food this child would need. Thankfully there was a small group of them at least who could help. She didn't even want to bring up "payment", such a silly thing to think of now. Never would she ask for "repayment" of a child in need. “I live with others like me, do you want to meet them?”
^^Exit
+2 Disovery Points

the staff team luvs u
07-17-2021, 08:39 PM

Her paws were getting cold, and so was the rest of her, but she opted for standing and putting on a smile for this woman that held her in a dark time. "I would love to." she said, a sad showing of teeth would flash before she waited on her new mother to start leading the way, before following.

/exit Rainier!

the staff team luvs u
07-17-2021, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2021, 10:47 PM by Kuhn. Edited 2 times in total.)
Kuhn had thought of the Everfrost as his home and territory for awhile now.   Lately, he had been laying low, not really making a point to let his presence be known, but keeping an eye out nonetheless.  A lot of wolves had been passing in and out of his territory with little issue, besides they seemed to target different types of prey anyway.  The wolves of Harvsken had been dormant for awhile, and he hadn't seen much from those from the south, the Vanderfell wolves.  

Lately, there had been new scents.  Out of Curiosity the massive beast had been following them around in his downtime, he figured there had to be at least five or more in their number.   Following around a particular scent through the ice laden trees, Kuhn came to a wind stricken clearing, the scent had mostly faded here.  All that was left by now where wind swept prints, that seemingly pointed to the northern mountains.  A sudden jolt of intuition seemed to hit him, as an extremely feint scent of his own kind was caught lingering.  He had only met one other of his kind before, could he really trust such a feint scent.  The tiger shook out his mane, it couldn't be.   But, there where two sets of tracks, yet the wind had taken both their scent and most of their form. 

The beast stood up tall looking to the mountains on the horizon.

no reply needed

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top