Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Hey you mrs. I don't know what the fuck your name is

Late Evening Overcast 83° F
AW
Discovery
07-04-2021, 09:28 PM
^^
The squelching of the wetlands beneath his paws gave away his location quite easily as the heavy beast tore through the soft water logged grasses. Graceful he was not when it came to such lands like these. His lumbering physique was not one built to casually stride through softer earth like this - and so, perhaps should anyone be stupid enough to move here as their home... perhaps he would have to station others rather than himself to watch over these lands.

After all, he was at a disadvantage here.

The mud sucked against his paws as he fought against it to move forward. Sludge sticking to his face, chin, chest and everything bellow. If he didn't look so miserable, pissed off ™, with his naturally brown and dirty coat one could've said that this kind of setting was one fitting for a brute like himself.

Dark clouds hungover the skies, blotching over any light that tried to shine through with the full faced moon just beyond their reach. Thunder growled in the distance as light rain trickled down from above, slicking down his thick coat along his back as the Warlord found his footing on a solid rock once more and began to pull himself free from the deep mud he was trudging along for the past while.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
07-06-2021, 09:22 PM
Her gaze sharpened stainless steel blades over the male who heaved himself up the rock below the cliffside she sat upon. Tucked just under the overbearing helm of the weeping willow, she was kept surprisingly dry as the little pitter patters began, wispy fur dancing like spirits across her svelte frame. She was calm as he made his behemoth form to her as morbidly massive as it was. She had watched him with warm crimson gaze, the beauty of a fallen angel lavishing the Witch in undeniability. But the eyes were the key, and as young as the undead woman looked, those garnet gems called her a liar.

"Vengeance," her voice of thousands of years both before and after Time's Birth cradled the monster before her in respectful recognition. But something sick slithered within it. "I've waited through tales of your carnage to see you." Soon he would be before her. But alas she waited to see how the predator took to being hunted down, for once. For him to just jump in his skin a bit. Just a pinch.

But Zafina was impatient with herself, even as she had surfed time so many times. Her voice hurried out to him, a calling, as she stood, and moved back from the ledge, trailing her voice behind her as she gave him space to place his mammothian form. "I have need of you, should you be willing." Now as she moved, rain came to court her, plattering down her soft downy silk to hug her curves just a bit more, to give the Witch some physical shape in this nasty and careless place.
the staff team luvs u
07-06-2021, 09:51 PM
^^
Vengeance.

They called out to him.

Tall, dirtied ears flicking at the sound as they called out for him. An ugly grimace split his face, both of amusement for being recognized and another for the situation he was caught within. As he hauled his ass out of the muck, thick globs of mud and grass rolled off from his gargantuan frame as it slopped back into the ground, mingling with the rest of the mud grovelling at his feet.

He did not shake the muck off, instead, he let it slide down his body as the rain would do most of the work from above. Too preoccupied in finding who was speaking to him to bother with the heavy muck weighing him down - the man's eyes wandered the grasses for the face to go with the voice. It was unfamiliar, but clearly he was known by them.

“Do the legends disappoint?” He cooed with a gravelly voice. With a heavy tail it flicked from one side to the next, snaking around his hips like a coiled viper. Do the legends tell of the great Vengeance who returned in the new lands waiting to wreck his presence on the new kin within?

“My services don't come cheap. We can negotiate a price after I know of the deed.” Oh how thrilling - this is why he chose the life of a mercenary, why he wasn't just some mindless killing machine - there was much more fun waiting for those with a little bit of patience to listen before snapping.

At least, most of the time there was... he only had so much patience to go around however.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
07-06-2021, 11:27 PM
His stature, his mannerisms, even his voice brought her past to life once more. One of the many, and with it, one of the many memories that pleaded with the untrustworthy woman to bleed them dry, and allow Vengeance a suckle. Just a taste... A little drop. That single dribble that would be the nectar he could possibly care less about, but she knew too well how stars did not callously align fates the way they had for the brute before her.

Slade Xandir. It was a name Vengeance would not know of, but the name lived within him, as in another dimension, another time, it was he who stood before Zafina. A man wrought of the shadows hiding hell's most terrible pits, eyes of volcanic heart set to moltenize. He was a true Nightmare, and the very first Zafina had chosen as her sire with the Sahirians bloodline. He had everything she wanted instilled within her army, the cunning, the charisma, the bloodlust. It was exotic how he had begot his legacy into the stars themselves, yet she had not seen him in this plane. Not until now.
She had Vengeance's payment right here.

Yet he asked for the deed first, and thus she laid it before him without hesitation.

"Your legends are most bloody, and I wish to bolster them. You need more." Her inhale was slow as she took in the devasting bronze and slick boulder before her. "I ask you to cull a bastard born out of guidelines for my family. He has only recently been seen around these lands, and he is swift. He is impure to my family, and I will not have him taint my army with his nasty domestic blood." Her voice curled red-rusted rabid claws around the pulse of her seethe for the youth she wanted eviscerated. "Remind the Sahiras to cross the rules for this family bloodline is punishable by vengeance."

She sat back, having stood, and reeled in her invoked wrath. Taking another breath, she sublimed her voice to the calmer tone it had been before. "You...should you be correctly following the path the Celestials have fated for you, would be in process of gathering force to become the legend words only whisper now, made corporeal. And I do have quite a valuable gift for you, should you take up this murder." The Witch struck the deal out in the open, saving the payment for the very last offering to his meal. If he declined the notion, she would feel quite lost, yet as all paradoxes, and as she being the Goddess of them all, had no say upon when they struck. She suffered them as much as she brought them against others.

Garnets lie upon the similar face, chiseled in so much bone, carved on the face of a favored killer.
Her memory lapsed once more, and molten irises blinked cannily back at her. Heart skipped a beat, but the next blink brought the brunette back before her.

Zafina swallowed her sigh.
the staff team luvs u
07-08-2021, 02:50 PM
^^
It wasn't often one would stand before him with the offer to use his "talents" as a mercenary. So colour him intrigued. The woman was knowledgeable enough to know of the chocolate coated demon to speak to him with words that would stroke his ego. He hums out of pleasure as he approached the little dark woman with an intriguing story - and prize with which she was still withholding. Piquing his interest further.

She dangled the bait just out of his reach, and hungrily he waited just a little while longer for the details. 

Granted, for her sake, it better be fucking worth it. Worth the wait. A wonderful payment and prize for being so damn patient with this little game of hers. “Tell me the details of this individual and deal; I will decide if your payment is worth my time and efforts.” Perhaps he was also feeling rather charitable as well, to further his name and spread the word of the Nightwalkers and their generous Warlord. But first he had to know of the prize she had in mind for him.

A decision would be made soon enough once the details were shared, he simply needed a little more than what was given to be certain of his next course of action.
^^
the staff team luvs u
07-08-2021, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2021, 03:40 PM by Zafina. Edited 2 times in total.)
"I do not know of his name yet," She admitted annoyed more so at herself for not being involved with him sooner. "But I will find it out for you, as well as where he will be staying. I chose not to get involved as he seems one too quick for attachment." She seared the word on a fire and allowed it to suffer until ashed. The last thing she wanted was to have a nasty wolfdog following her around. She was disappointed Slade had let his wiles get a hold of a domestic, thought him better of controlling his hormonal urges, but a monster had no discretion to who they carved their initials into. Zafina looked toward the sea's direction, particularly where the many pillars arose cursedly from the sea. Something with a Leviathan involved. "He is a sea walker. Does not stray far from the bays, or water period. Last I had seen him was around that sect-" she nosed the direction towards the bay,"-yet again, he is swift. Unnaturally swift." Well, compared to wolves, yes. "Your perseverance will run him down, instead of your legs." Endurance and stamina would be Vengeance's best key. "He is a dark grey thing with a white stripe, cuffs of white lapping his jaw line, and white undertones. He will soon reunite with his Sahirian bloodkin- fate allows him no other choice." She had yet to figure out where her nephew lie with his own kin, or whether he had even been brought back. There was more scouting she had to do. And more horror she had to inflict. The Sahiras had gotten too complacent, and clearly forgotten they were in fact beyond these realms. If they wanted to live as peons and regular wolves, she would ensure they died just the same.

"My gift," she smiled, her ivories winking at him in the moonlight. "My forgiveness for you slaughtering and eating my nephew, Priest, a trespass unforgotten despite our dimensions changing." She let the past settle within the waves before she tossed another coin in Vengeance's wishing well. "And your payment- Lives for a life. Not only will I allow you murder of another one of my nephews, but I grant you an opportunity to bring forth life of your own, from the womb of a Godess." She stood, turned, and allowed him to sniff the nethers to learn of her calendar and the date of when her cycle would come to pass. It was inviting, yes, but only the streak of blood there would warn him that it was not yet time. Once the man had gathered whatever information he needed, she would return her rear back to the half-misted grass on this knoll of sick wetland hillage. "I will raise them past weaning, and allow you the pick as they grow into their purpose. Under your command," she tried to hold in her conniving glee with the prospect. "-they will rule both this realm, and the realm beyond it." Garnets glittered in their sockets, her excitement buried in them fiercely. "Take this offer, and reap reward, Vengeance."
the staff team luvs u
07-08-2021, 04:32 PM
^^
The woman didn't have much to go on. No name, or scent to follow, only a general appearance and where he might be found. it wasn't enough - and the Warlord's face fell flatly once more. It didn't matter what the prize was afterward, if they weren't certain who the male was to ensure the deed was done correctly, then it would only waste his precious time and resources.

Then she continued, and his expression turned. Brows furrowing as his lips tightened, wrinkles forming at the bridge of his nose as he prepared for this conservation to turn for the worst. Apparently there were sins he had forgotten in the previous life. Not too shocking, but one couldn't be too prepared to defend themselves the only way he knew how. There was no reason for him to make excuses, to lie as if he was a better man than he was then.

Because he wasn't.

Vengeance wouldn't change, he was the curse. And curses don't fade; they transform into a new blight.

A low rumble vibrated within his chest, anticipating the worst as she continued to speak. Though she didn't seem interested in revenge as stated - he would remain on guard. A tentative sniff at her offered rear for the promise of new life should he take the one being requested of him. “I need more than your general description.” He began, a slow drawl to his tone as he almost tasted every word he spat out with thick slime coating his tongue. 

“Keep your forgiveness,” for it meant nothing to him in the end. “Once I get more information about this man, I require to take those weaned whelps into my land as my own. You will lose custody and they will be mine to do as I please, do you accept?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
07-08-2021, 07:07 PM
Too many mortals overlooked the meaning behind actions. There were cultures that traded many things between each other, not because they held value to the culture that received, but because they held value to the culture that gave. As Zafina had given him her gift, a passage to a clean slate, he had pissed on it, and tied the bow with a glob of spit at her paws. He had rejected her gift...
And unknowingly forfeited his life. Not not her, no... But to another who would claim his due, in due time. It would be a while, but she had survived eons. And Vengeance would know, as he looked into the Wicked Messiah's face, that there were indeed bigger fish in the sea than he.
Her face had not changed as she apathetically sealed his choice with a curt "Very well."

As to his demand, though he believed he would take the full brood, she was prepared to meet his law with acute acceptance. The snake woman lied well. "There would be no other way to ensure your sovereignty." She began to back away from the wretched beastly man whom she'd grown fond of. "Keep your eyes on me, and should you keep close, you will find him as I do." He didn't have to follow her himself, but to have watching guards keep close to her, so they would see her description matched who she'd be finding, and following herself. She would lead the whelp to his family, and he would be dragged back out of it, just as fast.
Good. "Is there anything else you request?" The question was simple and eased, a slight whisper to him should he desire to make any more demands.
the staff team luvs u
07-11-2021, 07:14 PM
^^
He would not be treated as some kind of tool for someone else to drag along and forgive for past crimes that he did not care to remember. For all he knew she could have been lying just as well though the actions she spoke of were not impossible to be that of the Warlord's. But what had come and gone in a life before this no longer mattered. If she wished to hold a grudge for something he had no recollection of, then so be it.

“I will not waste my time or resources following you until I find a man. If you have nothing else for me to go by, then return with something more. We will speak further upon the subject then.” To send himself or someone of the Nightwalkers to follow this wretched woman was not on his "to do list". Who knows how long he would be out of a member or two if she was not luring them away to die for her own nefarious needs. She already wanted one of her kind dead for personal reasons, who was he to trust she wouldn't do the same by dragging along a Nightwalker?

Not wanting to wait around for her any further, he began on his journey once more. Turning with only a flick of his ear to offer the woman one last bit of attention. Should she remain silent or lacking anything of substance, he would be off to continue roaming the region he wished to claim... eventually returning to the mist once more to wait and see if this dark woman would return with something more than the vague description of the man in her sights.
^^
Exit?

the staff team luvs u
07-13-2021, 04:38 PM
We def can if you like! We'll pick it up or not(?) later. :)

"There is no such thing as waste in the world we live in." Her words were subtle, a dismissal of such a silly fear. Whoever had been sent to find the target would either perish and feed as carrion, or be successful in their hunt, bringing back glory. Was he afraid of the hunt? Afraid that something might go wrong? That he would return empty and without payment? A perfectionist lived a life a rules and boundaries, a life where preparation was law. She lived by no notion, instead seeking what others either have and aiming to covet it, or destroy it. Her plans never go as they are desired, and something always cuts against any grain she meticulously grew. This situation was no different. Yet for such a beastly king, she would believe his drive would be so much less...rigid. The goddess had tied her own life to it, so why the mistrust? That she would lead to him being assassinated? Pithy pities to worry upon.

She shied not from her challenge, as she wanted to know what lie beneath that tattered skin and nasty guile. A man of wit, but clearly calloused in caution. "Failure too, gains. And not every victory should be celebrated, Vengeance."

The Sahira saw his posture shifted to leave her, and her tongue whipped a question before he could possibly do so. "To what degree of evidence satiates your paranoia?" What, was she supposed to just bring the idiot to his doorstep? She would have had to track the beastly man down again with a hybrid fool in tow. Yet for him to want evidence on the prey, he offered none on himself. Where did his lodgings remain? Was he in need of members? What truly was the grounds he stood on in this negotiation?
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top