Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Here but now they're gone

AW
02-26-2021, 01:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2021, 06:43 PM by Vengeance. Edited 1 time in total.)
As he headed south, the temperature seemed to have warmed up a bit - but it was evident now, winter was indeed here and the tundra he had left was but a harsh taste of the weather here in these strange new lands. Strange little creatures ran from him as he prowled and walked without a purpose, they looked like rabbits... and yet, they weren't quite what rabbits looked like. They were smaller with stocky ears, barely a mouthful really if he had chosen to even try and hunt these things.

And so he ignored them as they scurried and hid in their little rocky holes, away from the creature that violated their lands with his presence. The sun began its descent over the horizon, to him, it was only the beginning of his day as he slumbered the bright light away in favour for the dim moonlight to illuminate his path. 

Still none of this rang any bells, every new land since his re-awakening was just as strange to him as the next and none seemed familiar in the very least. He remembered nothing of his previous life before this, before waking in the tundra beyond the mountain's range. As if he had lost 3 years of his life 'cept for a few shadowy figures without a name or face to pinpoint their identity. With a flick of his tail he tried to brush away the frustration he felt at it all - and yet, the eerie air of aggravation hung around him like the stench that clung to his skin.

There was no denying it. It annoyed him deeply.

the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
02-26-2021, 09:38 PM
I CANNT WAIT ANYMOOOOREEEE

The matriarch ventured out again to seek familiarity. Having told her family, old and new, of her intent, she ranged from The Nameless Mountain in the hopes of finding just that. For miles, there was no such thing; in some places, the scent of wolf seemed nonexistent. As if this place had never been touched by their sort before. Contrarily, the scent of prey was abundant; no doubt this would change once those [prey] began to become the hunted. Well fed herself for her families recent takedown of a goat, her energy levels remained high as she trekked on. 

It was a putrid scent on the wind that gave her pause. Familiar, that. A niggling sensation in the back of mind, encouraging. I know this smell. How? It was foul, but it did not provoke any negative feelings within her. On the contrary... a positive emotion was then evoked, which encouraged her to see the curious thing through. None but for her family stirred such feelings within her, so she had thought; so who might this be? Ranging in the mans direction, Hydra's gait was confident as her gaze searched for who she hoped to find.

the staff team luvs u
02-26-2021, 10:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2021, 06:43 PM by Vengeance. Edited 1 time in total.)
HYDRAAA!!!

The scent of prey was abundant in these mountains, it made his belly churn with desire - perhaps if he came across something easy he's satiate that need, but for now, his mind focussed more so on finding something familiar to him. Something to gain a foothold on these lands once more before continuing on his way on building whatever he had lost. A pack perhaps? A snort. The man licked away any of the gunk that came flying out from his nostrils and let his tongue slide along blackened lips until slithering back into its cavernous home.

A pack. It only felt natural for him to create a little group of like-minded beasts. The trick was seeing if there was any like him around, any who would tolerate his brutish behaviour long enough to let him rule over them. Even if not, a place to call his own was on the table. "Stomping grounds" as some would call it.

That would wait as a new scent came on the breeze, brushing his nose with an odd familiarity. Still no face or name would come with it for now, but it was enough to stop him on the spot. Nothing within him desired to get defensive over the scent approaching, getting stronger by the second - were they searching for him? Who were they to him?

Rubies narrowed onto the dark figure as they approached from the treeline, as if it would help put the pieces together on who this woman was. For now, he stood silently, an obelisk on the soil he stood waiting for her to make the first move. Whoever she was, he was curious enough about this strange familiarity to remain neutral in composure and expression.

the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
02-27-2021, 11:21 PM
As he came into her line of sight, Hydra blinked; before her stood one of the most impressive men she had laid her eyes upon that she could remember, then. Her father had been large, but not quite so large as he... or had he been? A terrible thing, to feel the dead fading from reach. But to dwell on that then, while important, was second to the remembering that took place as she saw him. “Vengeance,” she remembered aloud, her voice fond as she recalled that he had been a comrade of hers. They had several common enemies... Enemies that she could not put her finger upon then. She imagined that if those enemies could not come to mind, she and he had been successful in their ventures. 

Hydra did not fail, after all. 

There was surprise to see him somehow; idly, she felt the thought I never thought I would see you again come to mind. It was unbidden, and she proverbially raised her wrist to elegantly excuse it with a gentle flick: nevermind that. He was here, was he not? And she remembered him. Her gaze peered over his shoulder, and she wondered aloud, “you are alone?” While his scent was undoubtedly horridly putrid, rarely was it just his own that she could remember upon him. Then again, maybe it was there then proximity. Who knew? 

the staff team luvs u
02-27-2021, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2021, 06:43 PM by Vengeance. Edited 2 times in total.)
With every breath a plume of white slithered from his nostrils. A slow rhythm with his sides swelling and falling with each breath as he watched the oddly familiar woman. Not wanting to react just yet should she be of any importance... and something within him told the brute she was. Only one with her stature could look so tall; and as she uttered his name, the fog seemed to lift.

“Hydra.” Smog curled around his muzzle as he uttered her name, a slow drawl as if tasting it once more for the first time in a long, long time. He remembered they were powerful once. Once upon a time. He relaxed, the stiffness in his posture shifted as he felt his posture melt away to something more casual. Finally, something, someone, familiar. 

“Yes. You're the first familiar face I see.” Darkened narins flared as he took in her own scent, of course, she had others already. He could smell at least a handful of other wolves upon her. Even so, he had not come across any pack markers just yet. These were virgin lands to him as far as he could tell. “You are not?” He asked, curious enough to probe her situation further.

the staff team luvs u
03-04-2021, 06:25 PM
The matriarch could not help the grin that lit up her typically unreadable features as he spoke her name. A strange relief brought the euphoric feeling, as though she had never thought she would hear the words again from the man who stood before her. The feeling was strange, and for the life of her she could not understand it. He was here, after all, and alive... why should she not have? Even still, the relief was almost palpable. Perhaps it was simply because with all that was not known, his was a familiar face—and a presence Hydra had always enjoyed being around. 

He was alone, and Hydra felt curious as to the series of events that had led them both here. But the semantics seemed to matter less and less as what to do about it took precedence. “I am not,” she confirmed, moving nearer to him so that she could investigate his own scents as he did her own. These were curious times, and knowledge of either of their wanderings could only benefit them both. How far did this place stretch? Where had he... woken? Should he permit her the room to, Hydra would do just that while allowing him the same privilege—wisely guarded, less due to him and more due to all of the things they did not know of the environment around them. She was ever prepared to react to a threat that might present itself to them—perhaps even keen to. It might clear her head, some. 

Stepping away and circling around a squat little thornbush, she hummed, “have you been traveling long?” she inquired, wondering what he might have seen along the way to these particular heights.

the staff team luvs u
03-05-2021, 12:44 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2021, 06:42 PM by Vengeance. Edited 1 time in total.)
So his assumption was correct. Already Hydra had gathered a small group with her, it wasn't shocking considering who she was. It was only a matter of time for her to claim new lands for her and her group and spread her reach as she did before, it was what made her so powerful. Not only was Hydra confident in herself, but she was powerfully charismatic. A powerful ally he was glad to see was here too within the same realm as he was again - wherever the hell this was.

Hydra drew near, assuming she was curious to investigate whatever clues his body would bring her - he did the same given the permission; of course, only allowing her the same courtesy she was giving him. Though familiar with the mountain queen, Vengeance was still a guarded beast and would not allow another to take advantage of him without reciprocation of sorts. Greed bled through his veins in a thick sludge ever since his younger youth. Nothing was a gift, nothing was free.

“No. A little over a day now from the North.” He droned, thinking back to his little hike from the frozen tundra region. “You're the first familiar face I see, the second wolf I meet overall.” It was almost as if these lands were barren of much else. Like new life was being breathed into its soil. As she sat, he remained standing - vigilant, almost guarded as he had yet to relax ever since his arrival here in these strange new lands; a viper coiled and ready to strike anyone that rubbed him the wrong way.

“Who else is with you?”

the staff team luvs u
03-08-2021, 02:20 PM
Only a day, and the second wolf he had met here. The first familiar face, though. Hydra echoed his sentiments, “as far as strangers go, I have only found one—upon another mountain. He knew little as to his arrival here,” she drawled, “it seems as though everyone arrives the same way... and none have yet to make sense of it. Myself included,” she admitted to him, loath though she was to do so. Hydra was determined to figure it out, one way or another—but it was not her top priority. Her ears twitched at his following inquiry, and Hydra informed, “several of my family. My son, Osiris, is here somewhere—but he has awoken not near the rest,” she had traveled as far as she had from home in hopes of finding him... and her wayward nieces, Ciri and Elke. 

She wondered if it was him Vengeance had found, though imagined if the name was familiar to him he would share as much with her. “Who was it that you found,” she wondered, “and did they have much to tell you about where we have found ourselves?” she inquired, curious as to that. Shifting her weight, Hydra wondered only if the stranger Vengeance had found had more answers than either of them seemed to... and if not, well,  it was nothing they could not figure out for themselves. Still, any knowledge was more. than none. 

the staff team luvs u
03-27-2021, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2021, 06:42 PM by Vengeance. Edited 1 time in total.)
So no one seemed to have made any sense of this place and how they all have gotten here. Not only was it Hydra and himself who seemed to have found themselves in such a strange predicament, but there were many others. Still, even with their collective experiences, none were able to make heads or tails of it. In response to it all, Vengeance simply grunted half-heartedly. Disappointed by the news, but not completely either... there were some nuggets of information in there he didn't know, like the many others he was unaware of.

“Seems like fate smiled upon you.” How many others were this lucky to have awoken that close to one another he wondered? Or was it even luck at all if she had to search for him... he assumed she was.

“Some strange flame-coated man, no one in particular.” It wasn't much of a meeting at all. “Nothing at all, just an annoyance as far as I'm concerned.” Unfortunately it seemed that Hydra had more to share on their situation than Vengeance could reciprocate - at least for now. “Is this where you call home now?”Wanting to know where he could find Hydra later, he didn't smell her scent in these lands to indicate any immediate border... and so he fished for the answer. Wanting to keep their friendship and alliance of which they had earlier in another life.

the staff team luvs u
04-05-2021, 05:28 PM
How frustrating; Hydra had hoped for more information, but could understand the lack of it at least. All would be revealed, in time. As far as fate smiling upon her, Hydra's tail lashed behind her. “Fate is a fickle thing,” she drawled, “smiling one moment, snarling the next,” her eyes flashed as she considered this. Yes, speaking it she knew the truth of that—fate had never ruled the outcomes in her life, though, had it? No, she had always been the master of her own. Could fate be thanked for the beginning here? 

Hardly. That was one hand Hydra might bite, should it come close enough to seek to feed her. Fate giveth, and fate taketh—for all it had given her, Hydra felt robbed for the way it kept things in the balance. What had fate done, to have brought her, and the rest, here?

Fuck fate. 

His question was answered with a shake of her head. “No, not here,” she answered, meaning the territory they stood upon. She gestured to the tallest mountain in the distance, humming, “there. The largest of them, closest to the river and the sea,” she informed. Curious, and hopeful, too, she drawled, “you will rebuild?” It would be nice, to be able to bring any one of their enemies, old or new, to their grave together, she thought.

the staff team luvs u
04-05-2021, 07:30 PM
^^
Sluggishly he nodded at her comment about 'fate'. Truth be told it was nothing but a figure of speech, Vengeance believed in no 'mightier power' out there placing them in certain places in order to create some bigger outcome (huehuehue so you think big guy). Events were often random and unpredictable, it was up to each individual to interpret it as they wished and adapt to the ever-changing circumstances.

Hydra confirmed his suspicions of her claim not being these specific rocks. His eyes wandering over to where she indicated her desired new throne, the tallest mountain in sight along the waters. “How am I not surprised?” He teased with a grin tickling his lips. It seemed Hydra was always drawn to the tallest peaks for her claim, as if always looking down on the others - a throne he did not mind her taking, let them all look up at her while he slithered below like a monster of the keep.

“Yes.” He hissed softly, the word lingering on his lips a little longer than usual with no malice in its vocals. At least, not to the mountain queen. “I am not certain of where yet, nor do I have followers at this time. No familiar faces have crossed my path and so I assume I will be rebuilding from fresh ground.” There was nothing wrong with that other than the annoyance in starting all over again. The repetition itself is what irked the man rather than the work it needed.

“Is it safe to assume our alliance remains?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-14-2021, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2021, 06:58 PM by Hydra. Edited 3 times in total.)
Hydra matched his grin, her eyes bright. Hydra was the same as she ever was, and whatever was missing within or without would be found again. It was, as ever, only a matter of time. He spoke of his own circumstance, and Hydra had every confidence in his ability to rebuild. There was a faint relief to hear that none of his old followers were with him—
There had to be a reason for that, she knew, but in her lack of disdain toward him or The Nightwalkers as a whole she fully believed it had nothing to do with him or the rest—
and so she did not need to think long at all on the answer to his final assumption. “Yes,” she drawled, “do let me know of any... inconveniences you encounter,” she hummed with a wave of her tail, “perhaps we might take care of one, or some, together.” Namely any old ones that might present themselves; but she hoped that those were truly dead and gone that she could not conjure them. Her memory was sharp, but this was what she attributed that much too. In any event, she would be pleased to kill with Vengeance were a wolf to present themselves a problem to their collective safety. 

Her children would need a safe world to thrive in, after all. His own, too... Her heart warmed, unbidden, and there was a flash of crimson in her minds eye that was gone just as soon as it had come. 

And all she could think of then was of conquests to come.

the staff team luvs u
04-15-2021, 06:05 PM
I'm chill with closing this out with your next post Kit!! 8D

^^
His grin remained as she answered what he had hoped to hear. Even in a new life, they would remain as allies. Already he could feel his foothold on his new world growing more secure by the day. At least he had some form of familiarity within Hydra that could inspire the man to regain his crown of thorns and throne of swords.

“Should that day come, you will be the first to know.” A day that would come sooner rather than later, and as he stated, Hydra would be the first he sought out to inform of the trouble brewing in his neck of the woods. He wouldn't say it out loud but it was quite possible, even as the thought tickled the back of his brain, that he trusted Hydra more than most and probably would trust her more than most in the future to come. Whether or not that was wise was still uncertain, but for now, it all he had to hold on to.

“Until then, I will work on rebuilding. Once I have settled I will visit your mountain.” Not having much else to add to their conversation, he waited for Hydra to see if she had any questions or things to share before they went their separate ways. The two soon-to-be leaders still had much to do, him more than her he was certain, and he wouldn't hold either of them up with simple pleasantries for now.
^^
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top