Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
I don't deserve this unsolicited criticism.

Afternoon Overcast
AW
Discovery
05-06-2021, 12:50 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2021, 12:19 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^Hades had branched out and gone towards the expanse that was mostly unknown to him, headed opposite to the river that edged above the lake and his forest. When he'd found Zeus he'd also caught scent of the pack that had claimed the copse near where he'd found Hera and Hebe. There were lives around just beyond his family and it was both a reassurance and a concern. The King didn't know what had left them in this mortal plane and he still didn't quite know how to manage his thoughts.

If he dwelled too much he became even more morose than normal. If he tried to embrace what was happening then it felt like he was somehow betraying who he really was. The inner turmoil was nothing new to the eldest son of Kronos. This was just slightly more confusing than his typical worries. Hades came to stop in a vast expanse of grasses, unfamiliar flowers spreading across the area and the unmistakable scent of deer. He didn't see any, but, the area was heavy with the scents both cervidae and wolves. The King stopped in his tracks on what seemed the outskirts, the scents weren't nearly as heavy. In an effort to be familiar enough he lifted his head and let out a low call. Best to be polite if they were in the same area.^^

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
05-06-2021, 01:12 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2021, 12:20 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
There wasn't many that visited Elkshire, as most had either trespassed, or migrated from nowhere ; plain walkers were a common site that now were more rare. The deer that roamed the range were often comfortable outside in the plains, enjoying the sunbathing within the cloudless afternoon, and occasionally snacking upon the edible flowers that laid around. Though today, as a foreign call came through, those who were out had already retreated inwards before the visitor arrived. Suspicious upon the unknown, and a snack they could become. Not many who came within The Elk's Crown had hunted their kind, and so she assumed, was relatively alright with the Elkshire wolves. But it was not the same for otheres.

As she stepped out from the shadow of the tree, and into the open, the Queen was greeted to a site of a blue-ish wolf, dark in colors, but vibrant in the variety he held. She could smell the familiarity on him - the Pantheon, and knew it was not but a curious stranger. Though his position remained unknown.

She smiled, "Welcome to Elkshire, how may I help you?"

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
05-06-2021, 01:45 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2021, 12:21 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^In the distance he saw movement. The King was patient though, and he held himself the same way he always had. No matter where he held court or who he was visiting, whatever Pantheon, Hades was first and foremost polite and respectful. Curt, sometimes, and a wrathful low smolder beneath the surface. Rarely did it come to play. Not like his brother. Zeus was vengeance and big shows, he was prideful and his wrath tied directly to his pride. Hades preferred being different.

When the other approached the King was polite when she drew near, bowing his head politely the way he might have offered a bow. This was as close as he could manage, he figured, before he offered a smile in return and drew himself back up to his full height while still sitting. “Hello,” He offered quickly, memorizing the name. Elkshire. “My name is Hades, I am King of the Pantheon in Winterheart Forest.” Well - at least he’d had luck in being accustomed to length sweeping titles. ‘King of the Underworld, God of the Dead and Wealth, Unseen One, Dis Pater, and on and on and on.

“I’d find it ironic the only other settlements I’ve found around here have all taken to the forests.” He mused, considering that there was so much land he’d left unvisited and unexplored. Part of him wanted to ask - the same as it had been with Jade showing up strangely, had they all woken up here too? He was starting to take it as just the common expected occurrence. “Have you all fared well here?” There was a hopeful note to his question - no malicious intentions at all there. Just a curiosity. He was happy, more than happy, with where they were and felt no threat from outside forces. They were happy on their own and didn’t need to think of what others had other than to potentially help.^^

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
05-06-2021, 02:06 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2021, 12:21 PM by Aso. Edited 3 times in total.)
A polite man, she respected that, and dipped her head back in a formal greeting. It wasn't too many times where she personally bows, and frankly doesn't remember the last time it had happen. She wasn't an easy pleaser when it came to foreign backs ; Vengeance was a rare commodity, an alliance that came fruitful when they had only nothing but survival, and the unknown that they awoke to. She would this endeavor would wield the same in another day, though.. The name Hades, was familiar.

"I have met your Queen, Persephone, was it? Briefly Poseidon.. As well as your retainer I believe, Styx? The retainer of the Underworld. " The last bit was in a rather amused drawl that came with a laugh as she mentioned it, though not in mock. She thought the same man the other was claimed, was this wolf before her. There was another one with the same name that came, but he was no King, but a loner in the world that came, and one day, she would hope he would be a follower. Though the dark wolf that presented himself as King should be - the opposite of the Queen he has. 

"I am Célnes Deorwine, Queen of Elkshire, and ruler of these forests."

Her gaze looked back, watching as the doe, now feeling more comfortable, were starting to appear on the outskirts of the forest. Though in the distance could she spot an Elk, a guard of sorts as the others grazed outwards. They didn't venture too far though, as open as the plains was, they stuck close to the forest walls.. Gently grazing. A munch of the flowers, and Célnes retracted her gaze, and back to the one before her.

"There are a few others around, but they too claim a forest." A chuckle followed the entertaining idea, as the Queen of the Elk nodded in agreement. She knew Vengeance had claimed a rather.. Hazy forest, and while never seen it, imagined it was as murky as he was in personality. Though she suspected he knew of other packs, the man had yet to share. As far as she was aware.. Only the three of them ; Nightwalkeres, Elkshire, and The Pantheon, exist.

"We have thrived," like a brilliance as it was, her smile widened as head grew higher. In a pride of sorts, how far the forest has grown.. She still remembers the shambles that was the second Kingslend.

"I'm assuming you are as well, unless encountered some troubles." The thought of that electric wolf came to mind..

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
05-20-2021, 01:19 AM
— I apologize for the extensive wait, things have been......crazy.

^^Hades smiled when she mentioned Persephone, but it quickly turned into a more questionable look when she mentioned his brother only to smooth out again at the mention of Styx. Styx was an enigma to herself, but he had never known her not to be an example of politeness in her own rights. His only hope was that his brother had shown her the best of himself, but with Poseidon it was always hard to figure cleanly. “Hopefully my brother wasn't too bad.” He said with mirth think in his voice - Poseidon was as he always would be. Where Hades was rigid as hard gems were apt to be, Poseidon flowed and ebbed as the tides did. He could rage, certainly, but he could also do little more than tickle as he brushed by to find his own current. “It's a pleasure to meet you, Queen Célnes.” Hades offered her full title, she was here at his call, he was there at her lands.

“Winterheart has proven to be a bountiful paradise in its own rights.” Hades offered as agreement - and although he had yet to meet one of the wolves of the Nightwalkers he had to guess with the waterways cutting through it, they had found abundant resources as well. “A surprising amount of my family has found their way back to us there, though many are still missing.” Hades gave a small concession to the odd circumstances they'd found themselves in here. How everyone had just been found here at random, some peculiar ailment at the root. There was the question, too, of what fate had befallen the rest of them.

“I apologize in advance if you meet any of my rowdier family.” It was said with a teasing smile, charming in its own rights, and yet Hades knew those with his brother's blood could be a handful no mater how much he did like them. His mind went immediately to Ares, the chaos that the God of War invited, and Zeus himself, who needed his space just to feel comfortable with his own doubts. If she'd met Poseidon and Persephone, Hades wasn't too worried - they were both fine representations, even if they needed a touch of refinement from time to time.^^
the staff team luvs u
05-22-2021, 10:48 PM
"They all been a delight." Jesters for the busy Queen, they all held rather interesting traits to them that cured moments of boredom. She particular had a fascination with the 'sea lord,' out of those who she met. Though may not be on a positive note, they all held a neutrality within Déorwine's mind. However everything they tend to say was something one another that didn't sound.. She couldn't really put a paw on it, they held a nobility that was unlike her own, yet it seemed unsuiting for a wolf. Lords of another time, the one man claimed, and retainers to them. A family of unknown origins.

Though so were the Déorwine's.

"The pleasure is all mind, King Hades." As so he chose so, she naturally referred to as back. There was definitely a curiosity if more of his family joined.. Some part of her envied that, as while her own were scattered around the worlds, she couldn't find a joy that came in thought if any were to come to this forest. While she would enjoy the name they bare to be spread throughout this unknown land, she couldn't stand if another Rohesia and Calhoun came; two devotes to the High Elk who not only questioned her authority multiple times, but were in general, a thorn on Célnes's side that she eventually removed.

The Queen would not want history repeating once more - especially as now two cousins returned once more, and another seemingly roaming in these wilds..

"If I see some, i'll send them your way. Likewise.. If you meet a Déorwine, I would enjoy the same favor." She only smiled at his comment, not particularly minding. Célnes can deal with plenty of types, there wasn't too many that aggravated her some, but she definitely had a preferred one overall. Too bad not many would align with that persona, and only Remus, fit that description.

"Since you all seem to be from lords of another era.. What are your plans?" To the point she thought, there was no point to tiptoe what was the need. What did The Pantheon want? The Nightwalkers she thought, desired power and ranks. To be feared from and hired by, and Vengeance leading that terror of a group. Though she could likewise, the Queen of Elkshire desired the same thoughts ; she wanted numbers, powers to her name, and pure loyalty above all else..

They did not seem to hold a similar desire. So at it stands, they were an unknown factor.

the staff team luvs u
06-10-2021, 07:26 AM
^^Her response wasn't expected. He couldn't believe that those of Winterheart had been delightful - not when he knew his brother would appreciate her innate beauty and he expected that Persephone had spent a time comparing the two Queens. Styx was an enigma as always, and he never worried when the grayscale river was involved. “I would be more than happy to direct any I come across.” Hades offered. It was a realization there that he couldn't exactly offer a common name. Olympians was easy enough, but he was not of Olympus. He held too many names and clutched the Underworld King closest of all. The rest, especially 'Dark Zeus', meant little to him.

“So far we want to just establish ourselves in Winterheart and find as many of our displaced as we can.” Hades explained. “My brothers and I haven't shared a realm in what feels like centuries.” He had to chuckle then, although as young optimistic Kings everything else had seemed impossibly easier. “My goal is to thrive. I don't want war or strife with anyone, just to secure for my family and maybe see my family grow.” It wasn't going to be by his efforts, at least not that he expected, but he could be happy to see The Pantheon grow with more children as the seasons passed.

What Hades wanted at the core wasn't far from what most leaders did. Power he'd always had and always known. It didn't have the allure that one who didn't know better would see, as if it erased all of the troubles in the world one had. Hades wanted to see his realm thrive just as it had before, but the prospect of the life and wonder that Winterheart held was different. He wanted to see what they could make of it. “My family in particular tend to be rather....skilled in different ways. Before here, my lands weren't so....bountiful. More bleak. We managed there, and I want to see us do even better here. To use the best of what we have for one another.” It was as easily as he could explain it without completely bewildering anyone by the truth of the matter.^^
the staff team luvs u
06-10-2021, 09:38 PM
Otherworldly was a thought, but she could also pin them as a loon. Many wolves that dropped into this land always held a particular thought that was.. Un-wolf like in a sense, where they couldn't grasp that their time before was nay, and now was the era of their kind. She couldn't put a paw on it what it was, as the Queen had never met a human nor' any being with a 'thumb', and she couldn't understand many traits that appeared. What was more unusual was some structures that followed the land as well, that surely, was not created naturally. Many mysteries seem to be held - but she saw no point in asking this Kin, for he was just as stuck, as the rest of them.

"As do we all."  A slight nod of her head, as her smile widened just slightly. A wisp of her tail and a small lick of her paw that washed behind her ears. Peaceful, as the two were just now in the neutrality that was held. She would find it a shame for the day that war would come, and wouldn't want to join so. Though, there almost was one dancing within the mountains in far future, before it fell to canyons. Célnes did desire to mess with those of the Winterheart forest, but like wise.. She would not want them interfering with her greed.

"This place seems to be always flourishing, for us Déorwine, the High Elk has led us to always a sanctuary. We never knew what could be bleak." Their God, though mysterious in ways, and at times her faith wavering.. He never did fail on guiding the wolves to a fruitful land.

the staff team luvs u
08-15-2021, 05:54 AM
^^How could he say it - that his youngest brother had taken what was his birthright, and that he, a more stable and steady force, hadn't taken it back by force? Of the three Hades had given the most without question and had taken to his duties more than any else. He trusted himself more than Poseidon, more certainly than Zeus, to keep Tartarus and its horrors locked away. “Winterheart's bounty has stood generations we've been told.” Hades said it without hesitation. Salene, though he had not seen her, had given his Queen a whisper of a history in what promised to have been a peppered past. “And to those that tend it, she will give the world.” Hades had never much cared for the cryptic way that some deities spoke. The Forest near commanded it though. It was an entity on its own, free and untamed, it had taken them rather than the other way around.

“Knowing how to thrive despite bleak surroundings - it makes this world all the more a paradise.” Hades had made The Underworld his own and this land? It was almost as if it was making him rather than the other way around. He was growing accustomed to the way that wolves moved - how the spoke, how every little moment meant so much more than the endless life of a God. Hades had to learn how to live with siblings, live in a world that wasn't only Kronos. This, he found, was far less painful and violent. “It's a pleasant change, all things considered.”^^

— feel free to close them out if you'd like, I'd love another in the future! Hades can bring a snack XD

the staff team luvs u
08-18-2021, 03:51 AM
The man sounded like riddles, it faintly reminded her of her Grandpa who spoke the same. Such a cryptic way how described the world, it gave a wise appearance to Kingslend wolves at the time, but for the current Queen, it was all but an annoyance. At least he was not as irritating as her the old King was, but simply spoke of his cryptic forest. He was enjoyable company, at the very least. She played nicely though, smiling as he talked through with enchanted words as he spoke of their forest. So blessed, he claimed, bountiful just as her own..

Oh the devious plots to think of, but of course they would be played for another day, another day to find the boogeyman, @Vengeance, and to plot out their ways of an empire itself. If in all went well in the end, it would just be another fruitful land for the generations that were to come.. With, or without the wolves of that forest, peaceful and kind as they were - the rest of the rulers were not as pleasant.

"It sounds nice," she said with a smile, "hopefully it stands for generations."

a wrap would be good with me!

the staff team luvs u
08-20-2021, 08:46 AM
^^Hades wouldn't know it - he'd never quite had visions like Hera, or the gift of sight like Hecate - but this Queen fancied herself playing some game she thought she'd win. Her monster would be nothing more to the Pantheon and it's family. He didn't dislike her company, but he'd be curious to hear what Poseidon and Persephone both thought of her. What they collectively considered of the Elkshire people overall. Hades idly wondered if he should take to investigation more than he had - he'd found Winterheart and he'd been quite happy in it.

Peace was what they wanted - when you toppled the Titans themselves in your own childhood it tended to put a damper on the taste of war in your mouth. Hades was just and vengeful, but, the King had ensured in ways his brothers never had that his realm was his and no one could take it away from him. “It will.” Hades said with a smile - he was certain of that. “And yours as well.” He offered before the natural flow of conversation lead to them parting, the monarchs both heading back to their Kingdoms.

Hades had long forgotten what it was like to be away from his land and to greet his equals. He hosted, mostly, when it came to the other Pantheons and their respective members. It was draining, being away, but Hades remembered that. He'd had to work up his stamina after he'd taken the Underworld. Maybe it was the same here. Still it was nice enough to know his closest neighbors but he was glad still for the space between them.^^
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top