Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
calling to join them the wretched and joyful

Afternoon Sunny/Clear
P
Discovery
04-14-2021, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2021, 05:33 AM by Element. Edited 3 times in total.)
@Hydra - our little Nameless Mountain exploring thread, future Empyrean point of interest discovery. (Permission for mild Hydra PP was given by Kit!).

^^
 It had been alarming at first, when he'd been napping in his den and heard the sudden sound of claws on stone scrabbling through his meager entrance way. He'd been jolted from his light slumber, rolling quickly to his belly and pinning his ears tight against his skull as someone made their way into his den. He'd have the advantage for a mere moment if they were a threat - they'd have to enter crawling on their belly, as the hole was small and meandering for a few feet until one gained access to the den. A growl was just about to rise in Ele's throat when the scent touched him - Hydra.

Perplexed, but no longer on edge, his ears relaxed and shifted posture from threat to curiosity, swiveling towards his ebony leader as she appeared inside his den. She seemed remarkably casual, sending only a glance and a mild whuff his way that may have served as a greeting. Even more to his surprise, Hydra then lowered herself to the earth just near him - there was just enough room for two in his den, with some space to serve as a gap between them. Three could fit, he supposed, if you were all very, very fine with intimate accommodations. He blinked at her, once, twice, wondering if she would say anything but... nope. She seemed to be content to enter and make herself comfortable, tucking her head onto her paws and closing her eyes after shooting a final glance in his direction. He wondered if he caught the slightest of a raised brow, perhaps curiosity if he would object - but of course, he did not. He smiled lightly at her, just the faintest curve on his lips, paired with a delicate swish of his ivory-dipped tail. She seemed content to settle down, and Ele lowered his own head again, resting his chin gently between his paws and savoring the feel of the mossy carpet he'd arranged across the stone.

Eventually he'd dozed again, although not as deeply as he was prone to do when he was alone. It felt odd, to hear the calm breathing of someone else nearby. It was soothing and also strangely melancholy, and he found himself in limbo in that strange state between dreaming and wakefulness, images dancing across his vision that may have been memories, or may have just been dreams. It was maybe an hour or twos rest that was granted to them both before he awoke fully, a yawn stretching across his maw as he stretched his limbs out in front of him. He glanced again to Hydra, unsure if she was asleep or merely... laying still with her eyes closed, paying attention to everything that had been going on. It was hard to tell with her. To clarify, he inched forward on his belly, closing the small distance between them before nudging her dark shoulder with his nose. "Told you," he prodded, smiling as he did so. "That the moss was comfy."
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-17-2021, 07:15 PM
He had told her; she just wanted to see for herself. 

The matriarchs ear twitched as she heard him, and she opened her eyes to look to him as he nosed her. She exhaled a warm breath of air from her nose, grinning. “A pleasant surprise,” she drawled. For she only knew the herbal benefits of moss—it was a frequently readily available thing, and her sister had taught her—rather than the ones one could get from sleeping upon it. The matriarch had enjoyed it, and had gotten a few hours rest for it. But she always slept with an ear trained on the horizon in case she was ever needed. 

Rising, now, to stretch, Hydra moseyed her way out of his den. Shaking out her furs to rid it of any dirt, she was pleased to see no moss had clung to it. All the same, she paused to groom herself; Hydra quite enjoyed her pristine furs, and rarely presented herself in any other way if it could be helped as she waited for Element to emerge. Pausing while she nibbled out a knot she observed, she thought to ask, “did you find anything, during your time scouting?” with genuine interest. Anything from his past? Any who tried to hurt him? Having not smelled blood, or seen any signs of hurt upon entering his sleeping spot, she did not think so... 

All the same, she would find any who so much as tried. 

the staff team luvs u
09-05-2021, 08:58 PM
FAST FORWARD ACTIVATE

^^

It had been many months since the first time Hydra had slunk her way into his den, dipping through the stony entrance-way and flopping down with him among the moss and scattered treasures he'd placed throughout his dark home. More than once had he returned to his nook and found the Matriarch within it, having helped herself to his small abode as a resting place amid her endless scouting and patrolling.

He wondered, watching her now, belly laden with the future of the mountain, if this would be the last of those moments for quite some time. Ele too stretched and followed her dark tail back to the light and the mountainside. "Nothing new," he sighed, taking a fresh breath. "It's been quiet. At least for me." He eyed her, expression mixed with curiosity and care. "How're you feeling?"
^^
the staff team luvs u
09-07-2021, 08:45 PM
Sometimes, no news was good news; as she rose, careful to mind her ever-growing stomach, she looked him over to ensure this was so. It seemed there was no sense of disgruntlement to him, and Hydra was not one to pry. She took those she trusted at their word. The nothing that he had learned had done no harm to him, though sometimes to others it might. But Element... he was stronger than even she had anticipated. His will aided his way, and she did not doubt from this better things would come.

His question was a fair one, and the matriarch looked to her side. “This will not be the first time I become a mother,” she acknowledged, “but this time it feels... different. Not in a bad way,” she hummed, “I just... I do not remember feeling quite so heavy, or my belly going quite so low...” Hydra considered the new place they would be born, too, but felt it had less to do with that and more to do with what was within. Who, she corrected upon feeling an errant kick.

A flurry of movement within her then, and Hydra stretched some. “Come closer,” she drawled gently with bright eyes, “I think they would like to say hello,” her ears pressed forward as she watched him. By now, her trust in him was considerable that he was granted such a boon (as she felt, anyhow); they paused for a beat, before causing another ruckus.

the staff team luvs u
09-07-2021, 09:13 PM
^^

Whether the relative quiet and solitude of his recent months on the mountain were a blessing or punishment he'd imposed on himself, Element wasn't sure. He had not ignored the calls of any of his pack mates, nor had he turned away from their tracks or scent markings when he'd stumbled across them... but he also hadn't actively sought anyone out. It wasn't a familiar brand of melancholy that had fallen over the sterling shaded male, but the subtle flavor of it remained the same. He'd remained rather isolated, frequenting the smaller and less traversed watering holes and game paths across the mountain and their surrounding areas, justifying it to himself as further exploration and reconnaissance of his new home. But he'd always felt a simultaneous blend of relief and disappointment when he returned back to his den, having encountered no one, spoken no words, and not had to draw a sociable personality out from within himself.

He'd felt...neutral. Not happy, not sad. He could recognize the spark of excitement in him when he'd heard Hydra and Dirge's announcement about their upcoming litter, but he'd felt unable to connect with it further. He felt a desire in himself to seek out his fellows and get to know them more, but when a new dawn had broken each day and he'd awoken, telling himself today was the day he'd make the attempt, he'd floundered and remained in his den, finding excuses in his own head.

Had there been a therapist among them, they'd call it depression. Element just called it feeling strange.

But he hadn't disappeared fully into himself, and each of those days he'd been able to make a little progress. Small steps, small words of encouragement to himself, kindness instead of self-flagellation for each time he missed his goal for the day. Day in and day out, it had helped. Gazing out across the treeline surrounding his den, settling his sights on Hydra as she answered him thoughtfully, he dared a spare thought to acknowledge that he felt comfortable. It was nice. It was also about damn time. "Hmm," he rumbled, thinking over her words, and more importantly, considering the appropriate ways to respond when one of the opposite sex mentions their considerable weight gain and the tendency of their belly nowadays to brush against the undergrowth. "That afterlife mountain air," was how he opted to start, "the incorporeal altitude and all - makes me feel like my belly is dragging against the stone sometime too". A small smile followed; an attempt to show the jesting nature of his comment. It had been a matter of much thought for him recently, whether this new life was an afterlife, a dream, or something else he just could not quite fathom. Whatever it was, it was still a life. That, at least, he'd settled on, and he was intent to live it as thoroughly as he could. (Starting now. The last few months, he reasoned with himself internally, were merely a trial run).

As drawn to cynicism as he could sometimes be, Hydra's next invitation swept any darkness from his thoughts and left him momentarily frozen, awaiting some further clarification or correction that she had not, in fact, meant to address him and was in fact addressing someone else who had just shown up. But it was just the two of them, and warmth bloomed in him as her meaning became clear. Lost for words, he responded to Hydra with a gentle huff and a wag of his tail, stepping towards her slowly and lowering his head towards her belly. A few inches away at first, but then unable to resist pressing a dark ear closer towards her skin as thought he heard a gentle thud, the sound of tiny paws against flesh. His eyes widened and the beat of his tail grew rapid, and all he could do was utter an excitable "ah!" as the pups made their presence known to the outside world.

^^
the staff team luvs u
09-07-2021, 09:40 PM
Hydra was the least suited to aid others in emotional endeavors, her empathetic abilities so limited that she had not noted how withdrawn Element had become as he ranged and returned. Hydra merely thought this was perhaps the way that he was, and as he did not (to her) seem troubled was content to let him seek what he would, for both Empyrean and himself. As he spoke, Hydra took his words in good humor; this was some sort of afterlife, was it not? Not for the dead, but for those who had lives established elsewhere. What better name was there for it than that, dark though it was? 

He was being kind, and she knew it. Her vanity would not permit her to contradict him, but she did have the mind to say, “you are in far better shape than I, and I am glad for it,” with a twitch of her ear. One of them needed to be quick on their feet should trouble come, after all.

As the life within moved to greet him in their own way, Hydra watched the man; a rare, full smile came to her own lips too as she saw his reaction. “The future,” she breathed, “is within there. Restless beasts,” she hummed with a beat of her own plume, “they hardly let me rest. I anticipate we will need every set of eyes,” she huffed. It was then one cub struck near her bladder, and with a sigh she moved to hoist herself on all fours. More difficult now, this hefty—but she was able to do so, and maintain her dignity in the process. 

Her walk was more of a waddle as she made her way out of his resting place, sniffing and finding the proper place to relieve herself. Quick to cover her tracks, not wanting the hormonal scent to attract any undesirables, she looked to see if Element had followed, maneuvering herself to meet him wherever he might be.

the staff team luvs u
09-07-2021, 10:06 PM
^^

Well, he wasn't in bad shape, but his depressive slump had cost him at least some of his figure. If anything, the combination of his days spent holed away in his den and the days spent wandering endlessly, re-tracing the same paths up and down the slopes, had left him feeling more thin and gaunt. Although autumn was fast approaching, his summer coat still held and the coarse hairs did not do much for hiding the way his skin clung to the muscle beneath. He was by no means emaciated, but a proper feasting would go a long way to make the silver in his fur shine again. In the meantime, the only shine about him was in his eyes as he shared his moment with Hydra.

"The future," he murmured back to her, still to overcome to respond in full, pleased entirely by the muffled sounds of the life within her. He was knocked from his reverie by a particularly uncomfortable sounding movement from inside Hydra's belly, and glanced up towards her face in time to catch her sigh. Perhaps for the first time he felt relief that he would never have to know what it was like for ones  organs to be accosted from within. Element gave Hydra the space to do her business, keeping a careful (but likely unnecessary, given how deep they were within their own territory) watch on the surroundings while she tended to her personal matters. When she seemed to be done covering her tracks, he padded over to her. "I haven't had a chance to ask," he said, voice taking on what was perhaps an apologetic note. "The beasts - as intimidating of a title as that may be for the future heirs to the mountain - do you have names for them yet?" His brief introduction to them was not enough to ascertain how many lives were inside her, but perhaps a mother's intuition and aspirations gave her a better idea. "As for eyes - fortunately I've gotten enough rest this summer, I'd be willing to pull a few extra shifts."
^^
the staff team luvs u
09-15-2021, 03:25 PM
Heirs of the mountain, he said.

Heirs of the world, she thought to herself, eyes bright. For that was what they stood to inherit. The future generation was destined for greatness, and they would continue the legacy she had already seen to the beginning of, once before—it was time to begin again. With how Empyrean grew, it was inevitable. But it was all for Empyrean, for their family; whatever else they claimed, the High Sovereign Queen would overlook it to ensure their success. As she had done for Osiris once before.

As for names... “I do not yet know,” she answered in truth. “I have honored my fathers own love for the stars, and seek to continue such,” she hummed, “though in this new world... and all of its unknowns... I know I will honor my mother, too,” she drawled. What nightmares might lurk in this place of peace? Surely there would come to be some. Hydra knew that in times of stillness, great storms stood to follow it.

And she would be ready for those storms. So too would Empyrean.

He spoke of his willingness to assist, and Hydra looked to him with gratitude her gaze. And then she hummed, “spar with me. Try to come for my belly,” she hummed. “It is what any enemy might be so low to do. It is best for me to be prepared for such,” she requested. And it would not be her first spar in such a state, though certainly her first in feeling so... large.

the staff team luvs u
11-15-2021, 06:12 PM
^^

He’d offered assistance, and couldn’t help the chuckle from escaping him when Hydra took him up on it in the form of an impromptu sparring match. Perhaps by now he shouldn’t be surprised by the request, even as she stood there before him, belly full of pups. There was still a sliver of unease that quivered through him whenever she asked it of him, normally due to his atrophied skills but now heightened by the disquieting notion of attacking your pregnant leader. But the more powerful urge was his desire to be useful and to support her, and anyway… a friendly spar seemed to at least be one of Hydra’s love languages.

He’d get used to it eventually. It was, if he really admitted it to himself, even a little fun. Element lowered his head in deference and gave her a little nod to respond in the affirmative before taking a few steps back and falling into a prowl. And so they would spar.

^^
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top