Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
What we deserve and what we get.

Afternoon Sunny/Clear
AW
04-12-2021, 05:53 PM
For the first time since Ira had found him trembling at the base of her mountains, Quicksilver felt confident to venture further beyond their claim. Their spears and the lowlands below felt more familiar to him now, enough that the young druid recognised a budding desire to see what lay beyond. He saw it as an opportunity to better investigate what flora grew outwith his home, and increase his chances of crossing the path of a certain snowflower's wayward cubs.

It was unlikely, but he did rather fancy himself the hero as he loped with fresh optimism in a new direction: South, into the valley where he could see proud woodland rise up in the distance.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Untitled_Artwork.png]
04-13-2021, 06:49 PM
Annika found herself caught in a monotonous cycle. She woke with an aching in her chest that spoke of heartbreak, she struggled to remember why it was there, she gave up and began wandering. It was infuriating to be so left in the dark by her own mind, but no amount of meditation seemed to unlock the doors she wanted so desperately to step through. Annika could slam her fist against the door and rattle the knob all she wanted, but the secrets behind were safely kept away. Would she ever remember who had broken her heart? Would she ever begin to recall anything? The more days past, the less she believed it possible.

Her frame moved with a surprising amount of grace as it carved a winding path through the unknown, her mind elsewhere as her paws moved. It was difficult to do anything but dwell on what she didn't have, but truth be told it didn't bother her too much. It was frustrating, yes, but gave her purpose; uncovering her past was a priority, and she was determined to find something to trigger a flood of memories. Her icy gaze was constantly on the move, sweeping from tree to tree and rock to rock as though one of them held the answer. When none did, Annika simply kept going. Somewhere out there was someone who could help, she just knew it.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Vanderfell Woods
04-15-2021, 08:40 AM
He could smell Spring on the air: fresh and floral. There was something about the season of new life that rejuvenated his own and he felt the itch in his paws to run again as he loped through such vast and open territory. Quicksilver refrained, however, for the world was still very much unfamiliar, and he figured it would be in his best interest to conserve his energy should he have greater need for it.

Pausing to investigate a patch of daisies, the young druid dipped his muzzle to sniff at the delicate white petals. The sight and scent of these flowers made him think on home, the one he'd been born to - wherever that may be. Memory still fogged, the silverwhite lifted his head to carry on and at once his pale eyes settled on an approaching figure.

The first thing he noticed was the pattern of her furs: black on white. Quicksilver felt his heart skip a beat as he was immediately reminded of the blue-eyed wolfess who lurked in his dreams, but as she drew closer he could see how her dorsal reflected warm hues. There were similarities, so it was with a curious lift of his sterling ears that he moved to engage her with a pleasant “hello!”

the staff team luvs u
04-20-2021, 11:19 PM
As far as being social, Annika settled somewhere in between introverted and extremely introverted. Unless she was attempting to secure herself a lay, chances were Annie would simply pretend to not understand English to avoid uncomfortable situations. You know, situations were she had to actually interact with others. It put her in quite a bind to be so introverted yet eager to find out answers, but there was no denying she would have to suck it up eventually. No one uncovered the truth about their mysterious past just by lounging around eating all day -- did they? Wait, was that a possibility?

Hello!

Her eyes swept towards the voice instantly, barely registering the man behind it for a few fleeting moments. It was the fact she appreciated his face that warranted him a soft "hello" and a polite dip of her head, though she was interested in him beyond his mere appearance. For instance, could he magically recover all her memories? Surely that wasn't too difficult.

"Am Annika," she began, quirking a brow to indicate it was now his turn to play. "You live here whole life?" If so, maybe he could help.

the staff team luvs u
04-22-2021, 06:42 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2021, 06:43 AM by Quicksilver.)
There was something empty in the stranger's gaze as she looked his way, as though she could see right through him. The silverwhite paused in his tracks, feeling regret creep up to tighten its grip around his throat, and he swallowed the lump that swelled there.

Then came whiplash, for the two-toned wolfess returned his greeting with a thickly accented one of her own. He blinked at her, confidence continuing to wither, and at the offering of her name he piped up to provide his own: “I'm Quicksilver.”

She questioned how long he'd lived in the area, and a sterling ear splayed sideward. “Oh, uh...” had Annika found herself suddenly in a place unfamiliar to her, in the same manner as so many others? At least she remembered her name! “No, I... I woke up in a blizzard a few weeks ago, and I now live close by. Are you okay?”

the staff team luvs u
04-22-2021, 08:01 PM
Annika would never understand how much of a zombie she seemed to be while traipsing about the lands. In her mind she was merely wandering and lost in her thoughts, but she hadn't a clue how many were afraid or concerned for her wellbeing. She may have been touched had she known, honestly. The memories taunting her didn't make for a clear mind, so in hindsight it made sense that so many gawked.

Annie nodded at his name, sighed softly at his explanation. So, he was just as confused as everyone else? Splendid. She slumped onto her haunches with a defeated this, frowning. "Maybe? I just.. memories not there, am alone and.. confused." The woman glanced to the lighter wolf and flashed a thin, sad smile. "Still settling in, I guess. Not doing as well as you with that." See? Annika wasn't a bad lady! She was just lost!

the staff team luvs u
05-07-2021, 08:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2021, 08:45 PM by Quicksilver. Edited 1 time in total.)
The two-toned stranger lowered her haunches to sit, but Quicksilver remained on all four paws. He simply looked at her, Annika, empathetic to her situation as she explained one not dissimilar to how he had come to find himself in these strange new lands. “Oh, I don't know about that,” he said with a shy beat of laughter as she acknowledged his "settling in". It was true, in a sense, that being found by Ira had been a blessing - right time, right place - but there was still so much of himself to rediscover. “I still don't... remember my real name.”

An awkward roll of his shoulder then, as he looked out across the valley in quiet contemplation. His eagerness to learn of who he was before and where he'd come from came and went, at times replaced by fear of knowing, but Quicksilver couldn't help but wonder if there was a family out there looking for him. “I live in those mountains,” the silverwhite carried on with a gesture of his snout toward the direction he'd come from, too naïve to consider the possibility that Annika's announcement of being on her own might be untrue, “and our leader is Ira. We are Vanderfell Woods.” One lone would couldn't harm, right? If she needed help, Quicksilver wanted to aid - he doubted the High Queen would turn her away as long as her generosity was repaid.

the staff team luvs u
05-11-2021, 02:48 PM
Annika's tail gave a few lackadaisical wags at the tiniest of laughs, music to a stressed woman's ears. How long had it been since she had laughed, ironically or not? Too long, and she felt almost compelled to giggle along with him. She didn't for the sake of appearing sane, but offered him a thin smile instead.

Well, until she heard he couldn't remember his name. "Oh no, that frustrating. Quicksilver good name though, you silver and probably quick. Make sense, no?" Annie grinned, hoping her measley attempt at being reassuring was something more productive than cringe. Still, she hoped he uncovered the truth of his name; she was grateful she had hers, at least.

Annika followed his gaze to the mountains as he indicated a pack, Vanderfell. It was curious to her how many packs seemed to be cropping up, but she wasn't entirely displeased with the turn of events. It meant there were more opportunities to poke around and explore. "I need home, but.. well, need travel to see what I can remember about me. Think nice-lady-alpha Ira may give shelter in exchange for some food? Every so often?" Annika just.. needed somewhere she could return to if things went south.

the staff team luvs u
08-11-2021, 09:22 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2021, 09:22 AM by Quicksilver.)
“I guess,” he answered simply, rather fond of Ira's new title for him even though he wasn't totally used to it. He was silver of fur and with legs for days, so it suited him beautifully, but the void if not knowing his true name still lingered. It was a strange feeling, knowing others would know him by another calling, yet being unable to remember.

Her gentle rejection of his offer did not offend him, and he listened patiently to what Annika had to suggest in return. Quicksilver felt that Ira would likely expect some form of loyalty in return for her hospitality, but was unsure if she might accept honest work from the right wolves in exchange for a night of shelter here and there. “I don't know,” he answered honestly, a little sheepishly, “it wouldn't hurt to ask.”

He gave a roll of his sterling shoulders, preparing to move off. “I wish you luck in your travels,” he smiled softly at her, “but I should get going again.”

Quicksilver turned away, giving a friendly sweep of his tail before he carried on toward unfamiliar territory in search of goods to bring home.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top