Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
brunch is mandatory

Morning Overcast
P
04-06-2021, 10:12 PM
— @Zeus <3 I have been waiting for this!

^^He'd parted that morning from Winterheart Forest with the intentions of exploring further. This time when he'd skirted the otherforest they'd found it was an established claim and he'd made sure to avoid it. It was good to know, and as Styx had said, there was the need for knowledge about the world around them. This was different. He missed flying, he'd decided, when the King felt his feet grow tired as he dotted along the river's edge. The land became more muck than anything and Hades made a sound - he should have brought @Poseidon along but he felt better knowing one of them was around the Forest for the day. Not that he didn't trust Persephone explicitly, but having another set of eyes on things made him feel better.

In the air the scent of rain was heavily around them but added to it was the vaguest scent....it was familiar. Rain hadn't broken but the clouds promised it, and Hades shivered. It ran all the way down his spine to the tip of his tail, shaking out the excess emotions there. To test the area he let out a call - still not used to the howling and the multitude of things that could be said there.^^
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-06-2021, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2021, 05:05 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
@North, tagged for visibility, Zeus will come back to find her as he said he would ;)

^^
North and he continued their little two-some journey. He would still try to try and cuddle up to the woman every now and then, especially while they slumbered, but he kept his distance so to speak to keep them more or less on a familiar term than that of lovers. At least, for now. Not until she felt more comfortable perhaps? Well, either that came first or someone more "open" to his form of love and appreciation for someone else.

They'd talk as they walked, well he talked she listened, trying to find familiar faces, familiar scents and places that might bring them home - or somewhere that they could call home. Zeus would talk about his kingdom and how he would live such a lavish life, how he cared for his family even though he knew they didn't like him all that much. Though he purposely kept @Hera out of the conversation, every now and then a pause would stop him in his verbal tracks as he wondered what she might be up to and if she at least missed him a little bit.

It was a call that stopped him dead in his tracks, however, a familiar voice that he could only peg as one man in particular. It called for no one specifically, and yet Zeus felt drawn to it. He paused for a heartbeat or two, looking in its direction before turning to address North before running off. “Stay around here for a while okay? I must see who this is, but I promise to return for you.” Naturally he offered a nuzzle to her cheek before turning to part ways for the first time since his arrival here.

The land gave way to something more marsh-like rather quickly, Zeus' pace slowed as he chose his footing more carefully, picking his way through using the "toe first" maneuver to test how solid the ground may be before committing to the step. Eventually, as reefs parted with his aid, pushing through them to where the call had come from... there he was, the face that sent the call for help. “Ah! There you are.” With a swish in his tail, he was pretty glad to see one of his brothers, Hades, even if it was a pitiful sight.
^^

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-06-2021, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2021, 05:06 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^The ground was more unsettled than anywhere else he'd seen. He expected if he'd brought Poseidon along his brother would have glided along with no problems. As it was, Hades wasn't one much for water, not the way his middle brother was. He was carefully plucking through the area, trying to keep himself as clean as he could. He didn't mind a swim or a soak from time to time but this was excessive and far beyond his ideas of comfortable. He'd stopped and almost held his breath, carefully scenting the air every once in awhile and then the smell started to get stronger. The stronger the smell was the more certain he was of who it was in the area. He didn't know the other scent at all but when his brother broke the brush line he wasn't shocked.

“Where have you been?” Hades asked and grinned. Despite his reservations he had to admit he was happy and came forth, bumping his head against his brother's gently. “Where did you show up? Several of us have been around my forest -” And then he had to wonder for a moment. Had Zeus even been looking he wondered curiously. Despite the fact that their family was reuniting bit by bit he still didn't know what Zeus had been through. “Tell me everything.” He wanted to know, after all, and his tail swayed behind him in a show of how happy he was for having found his youngest brother after all.^^

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-06-2021, 11:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2021, 05:07 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
As he stood, Zeus could already feel his toes sinking into the muck as his weight slowly broke through the surface. He had to keep moving, and so, he would step to the side every now and then. Softly, mindlessly testing the rigidity of the soil before moving over ever so slightly, just enough to keep himself from being dragged down into the bog like his dear 'ol brother here.

“I could ask the same of you.” He grinned in return. Zeus offered his forehead for the affectionate bump but was quickly distracted by Hades' choice of words. “Somewhere along the mountains.” He didn't pay much mind to it really. North and he travelled fairly slowly after all, "smelling the roses" all that good stuff.

“'Your forest'?” With a lilt in his voice and a cocked brow, he was curious to know more about what Hades was up to rather than prattling on about his little escapade with the pretty rose mute. “I'm afraid my story would pale in comparison to someone's who already has a claim, why don't you start?”
^^

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 12:02 AM
^^Even as he'd said it he knew Zeus would say something about the Forest the moment that it left his lips. Still, he didn't particularly care. They'd always had their own spaces. It was expected. While Zeus was careful to keep moving, Hades had given up on trying to avoid the muck. He'd clean up before he went home. “It's south of here. Past the claimed forest, beyond the mountain.” Hades swung his head towards the direction of WInterheart. He hadn't explored the mountain at all, it hadn't been of any interest to him.

“Winterheart Forest.” He said evenly. “I found Poseidon, and Hera and Hebe.” He said. “They're all fine, we've been okay.” Hades first order of business was to assure Zeus that his wife and daughter were okay, he expected Zeus to be confident in their entire family and yet he still wanted to say it. “It's not been too exciting - I don't have all of my memories but they're slowly trickling in. I didn't even remember anything until I'd found Poseidon - well, until he'd found Persephone.” It wasn't exactly his proudest moment, knocking into his brother that way. Thankfully Poseidon didn't hold things against him like that.

“So what's happened to you? At least you look okay.” Hades grinned again, a thin tease there - none of them were quite used to a life of true hard work anymore. It had been centuries since they'd had to do anything like that after all.^^
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 12:26 AM
^^
Even as Hades was brief about his explanation on the forest and "his claim", Zeus couldn't help but have that feeling sinking into him like fangs from some unseen beast that Hades was trying to take the throne away from the King of Kings. How perhaps in his absence, and lack of anyone going around searching for him, the older brother was out here gathering followers from their kingdom to usurp Zeus on a new throne he would make for himself here.

It sat like poison in his stomach. The feeling of betrayal, and how all of this was a mere act to remain on Zeus' good side, to keep him complacent to the new king seated above him. “I don't doubt that.” He said rather in a rather cool tone. “If Hebe is with Hera, she is in no better arms.” Even he had to admit that. Hera was one hell of a mother.

Au contraire, it all sounds very interesting~” His light, airy tone returned. Keeping up with the facade that all was well despite the little venomous sting that grew. “Oh~ Everything has been just fine. I found a little traveling companion, and I told her I'd return for her after checking up on you. The first thing I remember here is just appearing on some mountainous terrain and she was the first individual I saw.” He paused, “And only.” A little jab at the idea that no one was out there searching for him.

“So, what do you say we get you out of that muck hm? Or are you taking a page from Posseidon's book these days?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 01:13 AM
^^Hades had settled into his role willingly. Of the three brothers he had perhaps the worst relationship with their father after all and was the most keen to see him imprisoned for the rest of his life. Being in the Underworld and being able to keep an eye on the Titans was a duty that Hades had always taken to heart and would rather have bared that himself than anyone else. He didn't know if he'd ever be able to settle if it wasn't in his domain. Zeus was suspicious but that was in his nature too. Despite Hades not having any qualms with the status quo, so to say.

“True,” There was warmth in his voice there and a soft smile on his face. He loved his niece after all and Hera was an attentive, doting mother. Everyone could see that. The arch of his brow told him he saw right through what Zeus meant there - companion rarely meant anything else when it came to his brother. “You'd best prepare her then for your wife's wrath.” Hades knew that his brother had found many a flame and that Hera had found out about them time and time again. It wasn't going to be long before she found out about this one too.

“Always going to save me, hm?” Hopefully that would placate Zeus a bit and soothe his ego. “I'm surprised you woke up so far away. Most of us seem to be around the same area - but none of us know why. Hades admitted. He gave a nod - happy to follow his brother in the meantime. With any luck Zeus knew the area better than Hades did.^^
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 01:33 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2021, 01:35 AM by Zeus. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
“Hera can be as suspicious as she wants.” Flippant as always, he cast aside Hades' honestly respectful assumption as even Zeus had to admit he was quite a dog. Hera had every right to be suspicious the day she finds out about North, but this time, shockingly, she would be wrong. Not for the lack of trying, but he would not admit that just yet anyway. Not until he actually had something to be ashamed of, or others would believe him to be ashamed of. “North and I have been nothing but PG.” For the sake of being anthropomorphized, he placed a paw over where his heart would be on his chest and made a crossing motion.

“If not me, who would?” Granted Posseidon may try, but that guy barely had a serious bone in his body to be trusted with much. Persephone, well, she wasn't the strongest thing out here to much if Hades was stuck like this anyway. A fragile and gentle woman like herself had other things a man couldn't offer and she had all that power for herself. Here, Zeus reign supreme.

Taking a few steps around Hades to figure out the situation and the best way to deal with it, he pondered the best course of action. “Maybe that was someone's wish, for me to never find the family.” Another jab at the loyalty of his 'family'. Sometimes, he honestly wondered if they were ever grateful for the work he did for them. If not now, what about their past life?

“Alright, let's get you moving before I have to explain why you vanished in mud to your new wifey.” This time he teased in return. “I'll pull and you move slowly, but deliberately until you feel solid ground once you're out, follow my steps.” Should Hades allow, Zeus would begin. Reaching out to grab the man by the scruff and start tugging along with his movements to help "unstuckify" him.
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 04:14 AM
^^His eyes narrowed and the thin frown said everything he already had. He didn't need to berate his brother again for his marriage. Hera stayed, Zeus stayed, it was as it always would be. There was no use arguing over things. Zeus promised it was purely PG and while skeptical Hades couldn't prove anything and he wasn't going to try to force matters. “Lucky for her, hm?” He offered with a crooked grin. He'd be fine if that was how things were. He didn't understand personally the infidelity but then he'd settled for so much abuse himself who was he to talk?

“We'd figure it out I'm sure.” Hades mused, but he looked over to Zeus and wondered where the grounds might be better. “Hera and Hebe were in the forest between here and Winterheart.” Hades explained. “Poseidon, Persephone, and I near the lake not long apart.....Hecate and Styx I found in Winterheart.....and Hermes too.” There was a host of them and Hades tried to go down the list trying to make sure he didn't miss anyone. His eyes widened when Zeus said 'wifey'. “What is with you and Poseidon?” He muttered sourly, rolling his eyes at the way both his brothers latched on to the idea of him taking a wife so quickly. “Who's to say she'd even want to marry me.”

He lowered his neck down so Zeus could reach his scruff easier - putting his trust in his brother. They had never fought each other and regardless of any transgressions he knew family was the priority for both of them. It was uncomfortable but Hades worked a paw at a time, slowly dragging himself from the muck and mire. It wasn't a pretty process and enough times he almost slipped back down into the mud but he was finally standing on better ground a few moments later. He shook his coat out some. “That's better - thank you.” Hades offered after a few moments.^^
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 09:24 PM
^^
There were many things that Hades said that Zeus would not reply to. In regards to who was the lucky girl, whether it was North safe from Zeus, North safe from Hera, or Hera not needing to worry about another notch of adultery on Zeus' bedpost. It didn't matter, and frankly, he wasn't quite interested in talking about it. Nothing happened, and so, there was nothing to talk about. No throws between proverbial sheets to talk about his new sexual conquest, no fluttering lashes to speak about other than the one-sided flirting. To him, it was utterly boring.

“You just seem to enjoy making life harder on yourself.” He said casually, tossing a shrug over his shoulder as soon as Hades was free from the muck. Gingerly stepping back on previous safe spots where his paw marks still lingered. “You can easily figure that out by talking to her.” Honestly, for one of the three kings, Hades was as oblivious sometimes as a blind mouse. Even Posseidon had bigger balls when it came to romance at least, either it was balls or a brain to at least be honest about things instead of keeping everything tucked in for personal safekeeping.

“What's the worst that could happen? She says no and everything stays the way it is.” Honestly, he didn't see the problem here. Persephone would be delighted to think that a king would be even remotely interested in her, she would be a fool otherwise.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-07-2021, 11:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2021, 05:01 AM by Aso. Edited 3 times in total.)
^^While what Zeus said was Ultimately true Hades wasn’t exactly keen on scaring Persephone away. The conversations they had erred on the side of caution when it came to any chance of a relationship between them. “Poseidon ran into one of the Fates. They call Persephone the Dread Queen.” He said it as casually as he could - because it didn’t make any sense to him. “And Hecate.......Hecate almost took my head off. Aside from the issue of how young Persephone is, she’s also Demeter’s and we all know how fond she is of me.” Hades wasn’t exactly trying to disrupt the entire Dynasty all for the sake of himself.

He followed Zeus’ steps carefully, watching him for a moment. “There’s so much that I can’t remember. He admitted. It befuddled him, but perhaps worse yet, it left him alone with the things that he could - like the sound of Kronos’ cruel laughter or the whispers of his raving Father. “I don’t think it’s appropriate to try and establish a relationship with Persephone if I’m not even sure what she’s getting out of it.” His reasons sounded genuine enough to himself and he already felt like his brother would think he was a fool for even worrying. Zeus had always been a take what you want and deal with the consequences later sort of guy while Hades....well. Hades chose inaction far too often he thought. “Will you come back with me? You and you friend. I know everyone will be relieved to see you.” No sense beating around the bush. “Even if you don’t want to stay.”^^

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
04-13-2021, 05:24 PM
^^
Once again, Hades went off on a long-winded tangent as to why he was being such a pussy around his obvious love interest. Making what Zeus believed to be nothing but excuses. “If that's the case, then let her go. Find yourself a different Queen.” To him it was simple. If things were too complicated between Hades and Persephone, if he was so concerned about the age gap between them - then why pussyfoot around it all and not just move on to the next woman who would let him mount them?

Taking a few strides back to more solid ground, Zeus' tail naturally found its way to curl around his hips where it belonged. He was beyond prideful after all; and with Hades already setting his claim, he couldn't help but silently remind his brother that he was no follower. Even with his throne stolen, he would not bow. “I must fetch her first, but I suppose I could. They are my family after all.” A venomous glance was offered over his shoulder to the older brother. Hera and Hebe were his after all and he would not accept them lingering around Hades as if they were his to protect and support when that alone was the job of a husband and a father.

“I left her not far from here, you can join me and we can see if she too wants to visit your kingdom or find her own path.” For as before this, he was not a forceful man despite how others may view him. He would sway things into his favour and talk his way into and out of things, but ultimately, Zeus believed everyone did things on their own accord.
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-14-2021, 07:53 AM
^^Zeus' suggestion of a different Queen just set his jaw at odds for a moment and he didn't meet his brother's gaze, looking past him entirely. “Why should a King settle?” He found Zeus' eyes again and expected that his brother would feel the same way. “You wouldn't want just anyone would you?” A flash of red - angry and venomous came to mind and he wondered how Zeus would have stood her for an in law. Although Hades didn't expect his brother to ever live under his rule fully, so far he and Poseidon had managed not to be at odds for it. It also helped that when it came to his family they'd all settled into their roles just fine. They were all trying to find the common answers so far of what had happened to them and who was responsible.

The heat in Zeus' eyes wasn't missed and Hades gaze narrowed in response. Our family has come together well so far. Persephone is taken with Hebe. Everyone is.” Pointedly he cut the undertone - they were all family and they took care of each other. That was the point of a family right? Hades had no children of his own and the concept of doting on anyone wasn't one missed on the God of the Dead. He loved each of his nieces and nephews. Even if sometimes they were shitheads. It ran in the family.

“Have you two been together since you woke up?” Hades asked, nodding at the suggestion that Zeus would take him to her. If she'd managed so far to put up with Zeus he had to wonder what she'd been told - if anything. Or would she be blindsided by Hera? “Too much water here, I'd guess.” Hades said, eyes fixed on the muck of the ground. “If anything it's much drier in Winterheart.” It was unfortunate he hadn't brought Poseidon after all but his brother was still unraveling the mysteries of Winterheart and it's waterways. “There's a mountain range near, too. If you wanted the skies back after all.” That was something he could see - if each of them claimed their realms finding the features most like what they had at home.^^
the staff team luvs u
04-16-2021, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2021, 05:57 PM by Zeus. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
“I didn't say to settle.” he sighed. How could Hades be comfortable by making his life this complicated and overthinking every little detail? How did he even get this kingdom of his going with all this internal turmoil? “There are plenty of fantastic women out there and you are clinging to this fantasy of yours.” He shrugged. “You said it yourself what a terrible idea it is to go after Persephone.” So to him, it was a no-brainer.

“Of course they are.” Violet eyes shot toward Hades, sharp and distinctively venomous itself, challenging Hade's gaze without a word uttered at it. The Kings' eyes spoke for themselves after all. “Hera has done a fantastic job at raising her.” he was especially not pleased with Hades claiming that they were his family too even if he was one of the uncles. Zeus was a possessive man and wouldn't allow someone to step in to raise his children and take care of his wife other than himself, or herself. Frankly, Hera could easily do it all herself.

“Woke up?” There was genuine confusion. He didn't remember 'waking up' perse, but more so just realized where he was and moved on with his life? Yeah, that sounded about right. “I don't know what happened, but I certainly wasn't sleeping. To answer your question, yes, ever since being here we've been together.” Perhaps some bigger force just shot him here because he was needed, or maybe subconsciously he brought himself here because everyone was gathering without him.

“Skies would be nice.” And that was all he said on the matter. The bigger question was how many would join him to the mountain, how far was Hades' claws in them to keep them in his own kingdom and leave Zeus to rot at the top of his mountain. The balance he strived to achieve in their previous life was disrupted and he was not quite fond of its new shift already.
^^
North's player said she would join us in Winterheart so we can go there next whenever you're ready! I'm chill with moving to a new thread whenever <3

the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-21-2021, 06:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2021, 04:59 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
— Perfect, I'll start closing here and if you want feel free to start us a new thread up! or I can, just lemme know XD

^^Hades leveled a glance at Zeus, pensive for a moment. “You've never approved of the women I've dated.” There was a particular sort of standard that they kept. Even as King of the Underworld, he felt like there needed to be a certain status to his Queen where she could hold himself against the Olympians. Hera never minced her thoughts. A look crossed his face. “I should talk to Hera.” If Hera measured him and found him worthy of Persephone then why not? Hades just let out a sigh when Zeus seemed to still fight the idea that Hades or hell, anyone would look after members of their family without any malicious intent. Hades didn't understand why his brother felt so threatened by his protective nature over Hera and Hebe. Zeus was still so prickly despite Hades never giving any reasons for him to be.

“Most everyone has described it the same way. Just suddenly being here, this new world, like we'd been sleeping. I remember nothing between being in my bed and then waking up like this.” He nodded towards his feet. “You normally fly,” Hades remembered that, suddenly, a great swan, all radiant and pretty. Hades at least had spent time running. “Well, lets collect her and I can show you the mountains not too far from WInterheart. It would be nice to see the three of us working together again. Three realms, keeping the harmony.” Hades wondered if Zeus would like that. If it would be anything worthwhile to Zeus at all or if he'd still be so insecure about it. “Let's go.” The eldest brother suggested, following his youngest brother to his companion and then guiding them both towards Winterheart Forest.^^

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top