Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Minamoto and Taira - The Flower and The Butterfly

AW
07-25-2023, 06:02 AM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2023, 06:14 AM by wolf.mouth. Edited 4 times in total.)
"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
-Miyamoto Mushashi

[Image: gempei-war.jpg]
Many men fell during the 5 year long Genpei War in 1180 - 1185. This war would result in Clan Taira's downfall, and the rise of the Minamoto. But what could be said for the souls that drowned in the naval battle of Dan-no-ura? Or the various other spirits, from both sides, left lingering after the bloodshed? While mortal minds left wondering, the gods had a specific dream in mind for their subjects. To battle onward, to an unknown eternity. To be resurrected over and over once more, until the gods themselves grow tired of the massacre.
-
-
Two clans, constantly at war with one another. Fated to die and be reborn, over and over, into eternity. 

The first clan, Minamoto is a clan of stature, grace, and excess. They consider themselves more pure and more chosen than their counterpart, even though a man is still a man and no more. They are pale in tone, with undercurrents of blue in their grey and white coats. Like a flowers sudden bloom, or the sun's mighty rise, Minamoto are most recognizable by the striking appearance of their eyes, which gaze with a hot reddish orange. They favor the sun and the sea, having a unique talent for fishing and for defending their homes.
[Image: hY2D6r4.png]
The second clan, Taira, is a clan of ambition, focus, and stubbornness. They feel often set aside by the world and society, feeling most damaged by the smallest of bruises on their ego. Though some members of this clan may free themselves of this curse, most stay afflicted for their entire existences. Taira clan members tend to be much darker, with red and warm undertones. Often, flicks of golden yellow peek through, like the moon flickering in between tall trees. Their eyes are a deep, royal, and expansive blue. Like the night sky, or the deepest lakes. They favor the forests where they are most skillful in organized combat and hunting.
[Image: keXfg9b.png]

I should add that while there are obvious parallels between the two real life samurai clans and the real Genpei war, I made a few alterations to the clans and the characters that are either opposite, assumptions, or straight up just not true that were added in order to make the story more engaging or colorful.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: df2ntf2-0e9311d3-b87d-42f2-bae5-a49191ef...Er0ULw3CuY]
@perfect rat carcass#2928 on discord
07-25-2023, 06:02 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2023, 12:49 AM by wolf.mouth. Edited 6 times in total.)
So is this a group?
I have no idea? This is an Interest Check, if anything, so it isn't bound to go in any particular direction. Though official groups in the future would enhance the plot, it isn't necessary for the drama to take place and thus won't be treated as the focus, as said focus should be placed on the plot and character connections instead.

The ranks of a samurai clan are as follows:

Daimyo /Clan Head:
Monarchy like leadership of every clan. Includes the formally chosen heir and their husbands or wives.
Lord/Lady: Sons and daughters of the main heads of the clan. One will be chosen as the next Daimyo should their Aunts or Uncles not fit.
Samurai: While Daimyo's and their children are also allowed to become samurai, this rank and title is procured to others within the noble family who are not their children (Such as cousins, Aunts, Uncles, etc)
Peasants: Those without a bone for fighting or leadership. They are usually related to the noble family in some way or another, either through blood or adoption. This rank includes hunters, farmers, artisans, holy people, and passive members of the clan's noble family.

Separate from the clans but still notable are Ronin: Warriors who trained as Samurai and either were never adopted by a Samurai Clan or, simply preferred the life of a paid warrior. Were not part of a noble family previously, though could and often were hired by noble families as extra swordsmen.

Plots, Ideas, and Possibilities
Note: ALL of these characters are allowed to die and be resurrected at ANY time. They can either be reborn as a pup or simply reincarnate as themselves.
Daimyo /Clan Heads for each clan:
Of any gender. Must have some element of the family's hereditary appearance. If Taira is left without a Daimyo for long enough, I will consider having Hachi or one of his siblings inherit the role.
Brothers/Sisters/Aunts/Uncles for each Daimyo:
Also may be of any gender and have some element of their family's hereditary appearance.

Brothers and Sisters for each clan:
I already am getting @Hachi  set up, who will be a Lord of Clan Taira so having some siblings for him as well would be nice but, mostly just for each clan! Any gender/Must have some hereditary appearance!
If more interested in being a sibling of Hachi, he is a quiet and focused young man who is dedicated to his family's art. Sometimes a bit more serious than he should be but, mostly kind. A mischievous family member or perhaps even a rival would likely enhance his story. 

Perfect environment for Romeo And Juliet:
I would just simply swoon and die for relations between the clans. Such juicy drama! Although this should be kept to a minimum, as the clans are meant to be enemies, not hateful lovers!

Assassinations and Espionage:
Due to the clan's cursed nature, death isn't such a thing to be fearful of. The death and killing from one clan to the other still causes plenty of uproar between them, however! Assassinations and murders are bound to occur and, depending on who exactly was killed, can have plenty of effect on both clans. There could also be plenty of espionage, where clan members sneak around to figure out what the other clans' plans are, trying to predict one another and finally win this never-ending war.

If interested, please reply to this post, message wolf.mouth through the website, or contact me through discord (wolf_mouth) with this brief "application"!:

You can claim higher ranks! There can only be one Daimyo per clan but, there can be a near infinite amount of the other ranks!

Player name:
Clan:
Character Name:
Link to Character:
Character's Brief Personality:
Any plots you are looking for/interested in?:

the staff team luvs u
07-25-2023, 06:02 AM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2023, 06:38 PM by wolf.mouth. Edited 1 time in total.)
Will put members, their characters, and creation posts here in the future!
the staff team luvs u
07-25-2023, 06:05 AM
grabby hands at Minamoto clan involvement
the staff team luvs u
[Image: Nopeita-Wake.png]
07-25-2023, 06:10 AM
(07-25-2023, 06:05 AM)Wake Wrote: grabby hands at Minamoto clan involvement

*touches*
u0u i shall tag whenever i get some more stuff written up in regards to the drama!
the staff team luvs u
07-25-2023, 01:14 PM
*BIG EYES*
the staff team luvs u
All of my characters are rated 3-3-3
Plot with me here | Visit my art shop here
07-25-2023, 06:39 PM
(07-25-2023, 01:14 PM)Noki Wrote: *BIG EYES*

@Wake

would you guys like to join my samurai battle .D.
the staff team luvs u
07-25-2023, 06:49 PM
(07-25-2023, 06:39 PM)wolf.mouth Wrote:
(07-25-2023, 01:14 PM)Noki Wrote: *BIG EYES*

@Wake

would you guys like to join my samurai battle .D.
yes
the staff team luvs u
All of my characters are rated 3-3-3
Plot with me here | Visit my art shop here
07-25-2023, 06:52 PM
Y E S !
the staff team luvs u
[Image: Nopeita-Wake.png]
scroll to top