Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
I made wine from the lilac tree

AW
03-22-2021, 11:17 PM
Again, tagging for visibility, you do not need to post <3 @Aerasha, @Izumi, @Old Man Druth

^^After the mountains, the world seemed to open up to the group. Rolling fields of grasses as far as the eye can see quickly opened up into a field of flowers. Between this and the new blossoms in the mountains, she was uncertain of which was more breathtaking - both were beautiful in their own unique ways and the Empress quickly found herself enjoying the aromas as they were carried by the breeze.

Still no scent of her children here either.

Though she kept a smile on her face, even now she could hear the little cracks forming on the muscle within her chest. It had been one month without a clue on their whereabouts. Even now she fought back tears that stung her eyes, not wanting to cry here, not yet. There were still plenty of places to look, people to ask, hope was not lost despite how crushing it may feel.

The soothing scent of aromatherapy of the spring blossoms helped ease her bubbling nerves, bringing them and her back down to earth, grounded in reality before floating off into self-doubt and panic. After they all decided on a meeting place once it was time to go, Reiko began wandering a little ways from the resting group. The weather was warming up now and here was far enough away from the Tundra, casting a glance over her shoulder, she wondered how much longer Druth would be with them.
^^

the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
03-24-2021, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2021, 06:57 PM by Druth. Edited 1 time in total.)
From the mountains they trailed into the lowlands, where the world seemed entirely different. Winter's bite still clung desperately to the morning air, but Druth's aging bones immediately felt the benefits of a significantly warmer climate.

He tried to settle with the others, but Reiko's wordless dispersal roused concern in him. She'd gained another body to aid in the search for her missing brood, someone fitter and more suitable for the role, yet guilt nipped at him as he watched the young mother trail off among the budding Springtime flowers.

Quietly, the grey-nose gathered to his worn paws and picked his way after her. After the time they'd shared, Druth had considered sharing his own story with her on several occasions before deciding to keep it to himself. The tale of losing Adda had ended in tragedy, and one he was unprepared to alter in attempt to bring hope to another.

Still, something in him yearned to offer some level of comfort, so he settled his warm hazel eyes upon his pale companion and chuffed softly to her to alert her to his pursuit. “It's nice here,” he commented, and did not bring voice yet to his own thoughts to remain, “don'tcha think?”

the staff team luvs u
03-24-2021, 12:44 PM
Clear blues washed over the blossoming fields, barely watching the colours as she normally would and almost instinctively kept her eyes out to seek a pale coat among the colours - something she found herself doing mindlessly lately as even subconsciously she kept her eyes out for the two lost children of hers. Every now and then a moment of distraction was welcomed to ease her mind, just like the pale man in the mountains and their little game of chase, but even that didn't last long.

Plush ears twisted back at the sound of a familiar chuff, the gruff, wise vocals of Druth were unmistakable among the gaggle of women who travelled with him, with each other. Mustering up a smile, the mother turned to greet him kindly in a sweeping motion. “It is.” The invading thought of how this may be Druth's final moments with them, that any time, any day now they would separate as he would search for a more permanent place to stay now that they found somewhere warmer for him to stay than the ever-cold Tundra.

However, she would leave that up for him to decide when and voice it or leave on his own accord, whatever he thought was most comfortable to him. “Spring is almost here,” briefly, a feeling of dread washed over her, the reminder that it would be Haruki and Hotaru's first birthday soon. Would she be there for them to celebrate it? A sigh helped bring her back to Druth, pale eyes searching for even a moment of comfort in his warm, aged eyes. “How are you feeling?” Softly asking about his joints of which she remembered pained him back when they first met.

the staff team luvs u
03-24-2021, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2021, 06:59 PM by Druth. Edited 1 time in total.)
He would be lying if he said he didn't wonder after the father of Reiko's brood, but it seemed inappropriate to question his whereabouts. For all Druth knew, it could've been a traumatic experience for her - for all of them. It was not his place to pry and she never once offered that information, but still he was concerned that this young mother had been forced to rally strangers to support her search.

Perhaps he was old-fashioned, but he'd always felt it the responsibility of the husband to protect his family. It was with this thought that he'd never forgiven himself for what had happened to his own daughter.

“Better,” he answered with a crooked hint of a smile, and sought her crystal stare as she turned to look for his. There was grief in her eyes, he felt, and Druth had strength to hold the gaze only briefly before he cast his own iut over the growing wildflowers. “You'll wanna bring your pair to see this place sometime,” he suggested, “when you find them.”

the staff team luvs u
03-24-2021, 02:51 PM
His answer and faint smile was enough to brighten her gloomy mood, honestly smiling back pleased to hear that he wasn't in as much pain as he was back in the northern regions. Of course, with spring here the warmth would continue to grow and eventually fade as well as another year comes and goes - something she was certain he was more than aware of and ready for, at least here, she hoped, the winters were not as cold as they would be where the snow kissed the ground the majority of the year. “I'm glad~” She chimes in, letting her voice linger just a little, again, remembering what this would entail.

They had gathered a small group over the past month, and now, they were going to lose one as he possibly found his place. It saddened her, and yet, oddly made her happy at the same time. To know that someone was able to find comfort with even a little help from her and their temporary companions.

“Absolutely.” The woman let her own gaze fall and wander the fields after Druth couldn't hold her gaze for much longer than he did. “I'll be sure to make this one of our many stops before heading back North.” A small hint of hers to let him know where he could find them later on if he ever wanted to, at least, know where they were. “Hotaru, my daughter, would love this.” Thinking of how the almost yearling would adore the blossoms as her mom already did was heartwarming; and then she chuckled thinking of the other one. “Haruki, my son, might try to act indifferent.” Being the little man that he was.

Still, she noted his lingering optimism on finding the missing youth. It was appreciated.

the staff team luvs u
03-24-2021, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2021, 07:01 PM by Druth. Edited 2 times in total.)
Adda had loved wildflowers. As a cub, soon after her mother had walked out on them, she'd collected every yellow blossom she could find. "They remind me of her eyes," she'd admitted solemnly as she worked at her garden, a simple statement that'd tightened Druth's heart. His mate's eyes had reminded him of sunflowers, of the warm sphere for which those plants had been named - of how they'd found love with one another the Summertime before. 

She'd never wanted to raise pups. Neither had he, truthfully, but Adda's arrival had awakened the paternal affection in him that he didn't know he had. The same could not have been said for her mother's ability to parent. She'd tried, of course, but only for a short while because Druth had begged her to - for him, for them.

But some things just weren't meant to be.

He was surprised to hear that she intended to return North presumably to where they'd found each other the month prior, and a little disappointed. Druth looked back at her then with a curious prick of an ear, aware then of the extent of his fondness for her and unsure if he'd been hoping she would choose a more welcoming environment to make her home. Perhaps he would've stuck around if she did, but he was not one to step in the way of where others wanted to be.

“I'm gonna carry on searching in these lowlands, Reiko,” was his soft promise to her, “but I might not be fit enough to travel much further.”

the staff team luvs u
03-24-2021, 04:54 PM
Had she known of Druth's own heartaches, of his own dark places that he kept hidden, the young lady would have chosen her words more carefully - perhaps even avoided the whole conversation altogether. Druth was privy to the knowledge that they were more similar than Reiko knew, something they probably could have bonded over and yet, he kept that burden for himself.

There it was, the declaration that their paths would split from here on. It was inevitable, they were from different worlds with different needs. Certain that her children would feel the same, that home would never be complete without the comforting presence of snow and a colder climate - Aerasha had the same desire by how much she avoided the warmer temperatures. Soon, she too might depart to head back North.

“I am very glad we found a place for you Druth,” She smiled honestly, “I appreciate all the help you did during our travels.” No matter how small he may have seen it to be, it was monumental in her eyes. Especially the offer to continue looking here as well even as they went their own way. It was more than she could have ever asked for.

“Perhaps I'll visit you too with them.” A little light teasing never hurt, bring the children to show them off to the man who had helped to find them - put his own worries to rest in case he would follow through with his continued search on her behalf.

the staff team luvs u
03-24-2021, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2021, 07:08 PM by Druth. Edited 2 times in total.)
Whereas some might say what was for him won't bypass him, Druth had never been a believer in fate. He rarely looked to the future and instead turned focus on the present: on the here and now, the what was and not what could be. Survival was his sole goal, to live where his daughter could not, though admittedly his life was not as full as it could've been.

As it should have been, with Adda by his side.

He blinked his tired hazel eyes, smoothed his tongue over a rugged whiskereders jowl. “This isn't goodbye,” he insisted at her words, spoken as though he was already prepared to high tail it out of dodge. No, he had time with Reiko and her companions still, “not yet. That'll come when you choose t'move on from here. Until then, I would...” what? Like to stay close to you? He'd long considered how creepy it was of him, some old asshole trailing along in the shadows of three young she-wolves. Even as odd as he'd found Aerasha, Druth had truly come to enjoy their company, and he hoped for another few days of contentment with them before returning to his miserable, lonely lifestyle.

“I would keep close, if you have need of me.”

the staff team luvs u
03-25-2021, 11:59 PM
A part of her was not only glad that Druth wasn't just going to leave them as soon as he found a place suitable to his taste - she was also glad that perhaps, but there was also a part of him, who enjoyed their company after all! Not able to contain her glee that he would stick around just a little longer, she bounded to him to give Druth a 'wolf hug', where her neck stretched under his affectionately to show her gratitude.

“I am sure everyone would be delighted to hear it.” Her 'hug' didn't last long before she turned to sit next to the older man, eyes scanning the colorful dotting of flowers as far as the eye could see. “We'll stay for a while.” The young woman pondered the next plan. Word was spreading fast at least in her opinion as she told almost everyone she met of the missing twins, the more who knew, the more eyes were out there knowing, the better the chances.

She had to do the same here, and it was decided.

And at least not move too fast should anyone be seeking them out with news on the children. “Is there something you want to find here before we head out?” She didn't know much about Druth after all, his presence was enjoyable despite his rough edges. Did he want to find a pack? A group? “Would be nice to leave knowing we left you in good paws after all.” A short giggle escaped her, as if she was almost mothering this older gentleman already, making sure he was all safe and sound before heading off.

the staff team luvs u
05-04-2021, 11:09 PM
Much to his surprise, she reached for him. He tensed up at the unexpected contact and lifted his muzzle to peer down at the crown of Reiko's head as she nuzzled close, and he felt extremely out of place. Socially awkward, all Druth could offer was an awkward dip of his muzzle as he moved to brush his chin over a pallid ear.

The embrace did not last long, thankfully. The old rogue cleared his throat as his pale-furred companion withdrew, “nah.” A hint of a smile tugged at his greying muzzle as he looked out over Reiko's shoulders and across the floral meadow. “Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. You will, too.”

the staff team luvs u
05-07-2021, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2021, 06:14 PM by Reiko.)
I know you wanna shelf him for now so we can end this thread on this post or yours, I don't mind! Can't wait to see him again <3

^^
Druth was always the stern, solid type - so she didn't think too much of it when he grew to feel uncomfortable by her touch. It was just a moment after all, he could handle just a brief, proper goodbye between friends.

Once the two companions were comfortable in their decision, they'd remain near until both found a new calling away - eventually Reiko and her shrinking group would travel to the next place in search of the children that were missing while Druth would do his own. 

Hopefully they would meet again - Reiko hoped he would be easy to find again once the twins were found so she could tell him all about them. Maybe even bring the twins to meet the grizzled old man so she can introduce them all. That would be nice.
^^
end!!

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top