Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
tell his ambassador i want to see him

Sunrise Partly Cloudy
AW
Trieweborne
Adventurer
01-02-2024, 03:13 AM
hoping for this to be a join but obviously whatever happens IC happens!
@Calhoun for attn

An apple orchard had fed into redwoods, oaks.

Étaín was, in joyous amounts, overwhelmed by the beauty of the world around her. Had it always been so bright and brilliant? Had everything always been so colorful? She could not deny the way things felt new.

As if she had never seen it before — had she? Memories felt...hazy, so far away now.

But the scents of others (new to her too, with great curiosity) softly tangled around the edges of the neighboring forests. Company was always needed to truly enjoy things. Her interest was just as grand as the woodlands. Perhaps that was why she dared to raise her voice, soft and sweet, asking for an audience.

the staff team luvs u
01-05-2024, 09:39 PM
When a song lilted through the trees, the yearling was already meandering his way towards the grove, intending to hunt or at the very least track his way towards something of interest beneath the boughs there. It prompted his quick pause, listening, ears wiggling as his expression scrunched in such consideration--such a melody didn't sound like anyone he knew, but of course, that didn't always mean anything. Not here. However, they did not sound far off, so he moved off again into a low-slung jog to investigate who might be calling from their outskirts before his brother came along.

With some nose-work, he corrected that path to bring him closer, then eventually could find the source: a stranger, he thought, near their fringes.

Dropping down to a walk, he watched her carefully--still not entirely certain if she was as unfamiliar as she appeared. Wearing her darker shades of earth tones and creams, she seemed well in line with their type. “Hello,” the Deoradhán offered with a small, polite nod “That howl was you?” he asked, bringing his tipped paws to a halt.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: WEIRS.png]
Adventurer
01-08-2024, 04:27 AM
He was youthful, but no so much as for her to dismiss him entirely.

Perhaps in the spring he would not be so light and lean. Had he begun a home so early, though? His scent matched that which laced around the forests but his was not the only one. Étaín was not so foolish as to think she understood everything the moment she caught a glimpse.

“It was me.” She wore her best smile. Polite and meek in its appearance so as to not appear overly excited at company. “I was hoping to meet those that live here. I'm... well, I suppose new is the best to put it.”

She certainly was not local. That much she remembered.

“I'm Étaín.”

the staff team luvs u
01-10-2024, 06:03 AM
Weirs recognized his inexperience, though he felt it the most, too. Being a good ambassador for the pack and a real guardian of the High Elk was still a strange front to wear so openly--and just because he happened to be here first. He always felt under-prepared, somehow, but she made this easy enough so far with her pleasant confirmation. Listening keenly, the yearling nodded first.

New. It was something about this world, something he didn't have the exact words for beyond attesting it to the king's will. It was whatever took the queen mother away from them, but brought his older brother back instead. “Well, welcome--I live here, in these woods. Born here.” he supplied just in case there was any doubt in that. He did fit the description, homegrown and everything “I'm Weirs Deoradhán,” which still felt unfamiliar on the tongue, no matter how naturally it flowed forth. He wanted to get used to get, embrace it. Now, with it, he was not just a bastard in the shadows.

Étaín didn't seem to smell like anyone else in particular, not even his brothers. Still, they were a secluded piece of land here, so something had to have guided a course--somehow. Why here? “What would you like to know? How did you find here? he asked, wondering openly.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
03-04-2024, 12:22 AM
@Weirs sorry for the wait ;; still very interested in this thread and etain joining if possible

Living in a place was one thing.

Being born of the land was another.

Perhaps it changed how she looked upon him in that moment. As if she gazed now upon a king. One who brandished a name on the land he had been birthed to. Weirs Deoradhán became something else in her gaze at that moment.

He was a possibility. Endless and infinite.

“Would you believe me if I said I do not know? I think I first stirred in the grove just beyond, close to your trees and the colognes that line them here.” A sheepish little look crossed over her features, lashes fluttered her eyes shut for a moment before they opened again. “Perhaps I should know of your woods first? And if there is a place within them for another.”

the staff team luvs u
03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
His curiosity helped soothe the uncertainty, and maybe soften that edge of unknown in him. Weirs stood square before her largely unaware, but inclined enough to help bring her towards their light. Not often was he what someone came here looking for, after all, and nothing on her was ringing major alarm bells to him--inexperienced, and all.

He did understand, though, for while he was born to his world, he was not immune to its oddities--he was more familiar with it taking away, not granting new, though. “I would,” he nodded, serious and accepting of the gaps in memory without question. “It's not the first time strange things have happened.” He staved off his frown. To their own, and through the tales of other individuals, he heard of enough to believe. Even during his queen mother's reign, sometimes wolves had come with no memory of how they landed here, exactly, and then to him, others had disappeared similarly without a trace--leaving only him behind, no explanation, no nothing.

As for here, he gestured his muzzle towards the varied woods of his home. “We call it Apostles Gate.” Though they had not always, and he was still gripping this. “And here, we are guardians of the High Elk, and His. Trieweborne.” He let that pause sit there a beat, using it to collect himself and also let it all settle in--wondering what she might think of his mention of their deity and methods. If not entirely off-put, she might find herself a niche, he thought. They could use the fresh faces. “We are secluded, and small--I do think we would have room, though ultimately that is my brother @Calhoun's say.” he mentioned.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: WEIRS.png]
scroll to top